Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt!

Options

Comments

• GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    My bargain of the week is Aldi Greek Yoghurt 500g pots.
    I love Fage Total Greek Yoghurt, it tastes great, the texture is so lovely and creamy, but I haven't found a supermarket own brand version to match it. Until now! The Aldi version has the same lovely texture and I think it tastes even better. Aldi's version is £1.39 for a 500g pot, Fage is £2.75. :T
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    When I started snowballing I loved it in a strange, masochistic sort of way! :rotfl: I used to love updating it each month and would stare at it for ages! How weird was I.:D

Thanks also for the yoghurt tip. I love Total Greek yoghurt with a vengeance! Have just stocked up for the month but will definitely be popping into Aldi to give theirs a try!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • leon103
    leon103 Posts: 732 Forumite
    Options
    My bargain of the week is Aldi Greek Yoghurt 500g pots.
    I love Fage Total Greek Yoghurt, it tastes great, the texture is so lovely and creamy, but I haven't found a supermarket own brand version to match it. Until now! The Aldi version has the same lovely texture and I think it tastes even better. Aldi's version is £1.39 for a 500g pot, Fage is £2.75. :T
    You can't beat Lidl low fat greek yoghurt. Despite low fat it takes creamy like the normal version.
    :p
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    When I started snowballing I loved it in a strange, masochistic sort of way! :rotfl: I used to love updating it each month and would stare at it for ages! How weird was I.:D

Thanks also for the yoghurt tip. I love Total Greek yoghurt with a vengeance! Have just stocked up for the month but will definitely be popping into Aldi to give theirs a try!

I don't think it sounds weird - I love my spreadsheet :) Even more now that I've got a % Repaid column so I can see progress on each debt rather than the overall total (which is quite depressing). I'm telling myself that this is the first of many snowballs - a pebble can start an avalanche after all!

Let me know if you try the Aldi Greek yoghurt, we usually get through 2-3 pots a week so it has made a big difference to our yoghurt spends :rotfl:
    leon103 wrote: »
    You can't beat Lidl low fat greek yoghurt. Despite low fat it takes creamy like the normal version.

Ooh thank you, I will keep that in mind - there is a Lidl near my parents place :)
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Renewed our 2 Together railcard yesterday using Tesco Club Card vouchers, it was £15 worth of vouchers (vs £30 cash) :T
    We're staying with various friends and family on 2 of the 4 weekends in May, we'll possibly have a train journey for day trip on our one "home" weekend, so we'll definitely get our moneys worth from the card this month.
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    Excellent! Great to see you making use of things like that :) I'm not sure that many people even know that things like that exist.
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    JoJoC wrote: »
    Excellent! Great to see you making use of things like that :) I'm not sure that many people even know that things like that exist.

It is really great, isn't it? I discovered it last year when we had a planned activity for a friend's birthday and realised that we could buy the tickets with vouchers for about 1/3 of the cost of paying in cash. Well worth it! Maybe it will be my Bargain of the Week ;)

Not much to report on the MSE front today, just ticking along
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    GeorgianaCavendish Posts: 2,387 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 2 May 2018 at 7:13PM
    Options
    May 2018 Debt Totals ... (I've added a % paid column to my spreadsheet, which appears below in green. I'm counting from the highest debt figure on each of the accounts, not from my April update)

Total debt is £30508.57

HSBC Personal Loan : £7953.57
    Interest rate 8.9%, 21 payments left
    41.66% Paid

Credit Account Balances

MBNA £7090.00
    £2898.59 @ 6.9% (rate ends 9th July 2019)
    £4191.41 @ 6.9% (rate ends 2nd Dec 2019)

13.49% paid

Barclaycard £8690
    £6405.81 @ 6.9% (until paid off)
    £2284.19@ 18.6

13.45% paid

Lloyds £3250
    Interest rate 0%, promo rate ends September 2019
    9.87% paid

Tesco 1 £0.00 Balance Transfer
    Interest rate 0%, promo rate ends 27 June 2018
    100% paid
    :T

Tesco 2 £1100.00
    Interest rate 0%, promo rate ends 8 Feb 2019
    43.64% paid

Paypal £1450.00
    Interest rate 17.9%
    22.76% paid

Very 1 £175.00
    Interest rate 0%, until 28 Sept 2018
    59.21% paid

Very 2 £800.00
    Interest rate 0%, until 30 April 2019
    1.11% paid

Priorities and Goals

#1. Pay off Tesco 1 debt (£772.50) before 0% promo rate finishes at end of June 2018.
    DONE :T
    Full amount paid off and account closed

#2. Barclaycard 18.6% Balance
    Current balance at £2284.19 so we've made some progress on this thanks to the bonus. I've snowballed the £25 direct debit I was paying for Tesco 1 over to B/Card. My first proper snowball!
    I've also reduced my Barclaycard credit limit to £8750.

#3 Very - Pay Off 0% Offers Before Expiry (Very 1 Exp 28 Sept 2018 / Very 2 Exp 31 May 2019)
    Very 1 Balance now at £175
    Very 2 Balance now at £800

#4 is Paypal - 17.9% Balance
    Current balance is £1450 and I've reduced the credit limit to £1500.

Now that Tesco1 is paid off, I'll be promoting my other priorities so #1 is Barclaycard, #2 is Very and #3 is Paypal. Priority #4 is to continue to add to our emergency fund

I suppose #5 is to try to relax about my other accounts.These debts are on lowest possible interest rate for the time being and I need to stop stressing out that these figures are going down slowly and concentrate instead on the Top 4. Eyes on the teaspoon, not the lake!

2019 Goals

#1 Pay upfront for insurance policies in early 2019. So far so good!

#2 Move house! We're budgeting for a £200 pcm rent increase and additional travel costs of around £200 per year.

#3 Pay off Student Loan. I'm continuing with PAYE deductions until April 2019, then I'll revisit and look at switching to Direct Debit. I think that I'll have repaid my Student Loan by the end of 2019.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Looks like great progress and a good solid set of goals, well done! Will you not snowball the Paypal before the Very accounts? Just thinking of the interest levels.

I know what you mean about worrying about the other figures - I try not to post/think about my overall figure too often, just concentrate on one teaspoon at a time!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Looks like great progress and a good solid set of goals, well done! Will you not snowball the Paypal before the Very accounts? Just thinking of the interest levels.

I know what you mean about worrying about the other figures - I try not to post/think about my overall figure too often, just concentrate on one teaspoon at a time!

Thank you :)

I want to pay off the Very debt first because the normal interest rate is astronomical, I don't want the balance to revert to that rate (especially as the whole point of Very was to take care of some things that we urgently needed for the house as cheaply as possible). I might rejig my priorities as I get closer to the end of the promo rates on Lloyds and Tesco though!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback