RBS branch closures

I see, in the news this morning, that RBS is closing 259 branches, costing 680 jobs. No doubt more details will emerge today. That includes 197 NatWest branches.
I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Understandable. I do everything online and haven't been in a bank since I set my business account up 12 years ago.

You can't expect businesses to keep premises open if there is not the footfall to make it viable.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Understandable. I do everything online and haven't been in a bank since I set my business account up 12 years ago.

You can't expect businesses to keep premises open if there is not the footfall to make it viable.
    Yes, according to their press release:
    More and more of our customers are choosing to do their everyday banking online or on mobile. Since 2014 the number of customers using our branches across the UK has fallen by 40% and mobile transactions have increased by 73% over the same period. Over 5 million customers now use our mobile banking app and one in five only bank with us digitally
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 December 2017 at 9:48AM
    Scottish branches listed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-42188708
    Some are a more than one branch in a town scenario but the majority are small town branches which will hit rural communities.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Let's hope they identify the branches soon, it'll be sad for the staff concerned, but will put their minds at rest, for now, of those not affected.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In which case they have been spoilt.
    My village has never had a bank, the nearest one is a 20 mile round trip.

My bet is that even if they get a mobile bank 2 or 3 times a week that would see very few if any customers. Unfortunately for the bank staff, the reasons to visit a bank for face to face discussions are few and far between so it's very difficult to justify keeping 4 or 5 people employed and paying business rates on a building all for the sake of not inconveniencing a very small number of customers.
  • Bank branches were being kept alive by the sales culture.

That's been nobbled. Game over.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    molerat wrote: »
    Scottish branches listed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-42188708
    Some are a more than one branch in a town scenario but the majority are small town branches which will hit rural communities.

Here’s a list of NatWest Branches earmarked for clousure;

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5041069/natwest-bank-closures-branches-job-losses/
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,402 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    A shame as their ATMs dispense £5 notes which is handy.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    stclair wrote: »
    Here’s a list of NatWest Branches earmarked for clousure;

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5041069/natwest-bank-closures-branches-job-losses/

There's something wrong with that list. Our local branch is listed, it closed earlier this year.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Slinky wrote: »
    There's something wrong with that list. Our local branch is listed, it closed earlier this year.

The NW in Machynlleth closed a couple of months ago (though we could be talking the same branch :D)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure