Bought car with heated windscreen, doesn't have one

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    marfy wrote: »
    I stuck to 2014 model as the layout of the controls was the same as my old car (Corsas manufactured from 2015 had a different layout) and I'm not that confident a driver and getting on in years a bit so don't want to go for a 2015.
    I live in Scotland and we get morning frost very often. The way my car is parked, the front faces towards the house, away from the rising sun and so is the slowest to defrost. I can't change the direction in which the car is parked so a heated windscreen is a bonus to me.

Are you sure you should be driving a car at all?. Your not a very confident driver, you can't drive a car controls in a different place and you can't park the car a different way.
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    I live in Scotland and we get morning frost very often. The way my car is parked, the front faces towards the house, away from the rising sun and so is the slowest to defrost. I can't change the direction in which the car is parked so a heated windscreen is a bonus to me.

ok, good luck with getting this sorted (still think jug of water is easier..)
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    wymondham wrote: »
    You're not missing much. Can't really see the point of having one. I specced and got one with my lease Ford, but its never just the windscreen frozen up - still have to sort the side windows making it all for nothing. In low sun the lines make visibility poor as well. Best use a jug of warm water - sort the whole car in a tick!

Can also crack the glass,screen de-icer is safer.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    My last two Freelanders had heated front screens - 2004 and 2006 models.

My current car a 2015 BMW doesn't - and I don't miss it.

Just turn the air-con/climate control to max set the air distribution to screen only and make sure the fan is on max - and hey presto the screen is clear in pretty much the same time as a heated screen does it.

Fortunately the BMW has a 'front-screen button' that does all the setting for you - so pressing it again and switching that off returns the climate control settings to normal.

I never turn the Climate Control / AC off in any car these days -especially in the Winter.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ganga wrote: »
    [/B][/U]
    Can also crack the glass,screen de-icer is safer.

I just stick a fan heater on the centre armrest with an extension lead and turn it on from inside the house 15 minutes before I leave.

No ice or mist on any of the windows and a nice warm cabin as a bonus.
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I just stick a fan heater on the centre armrest with an extension lead and turn it on from inside the house 15 minutes before I leave.

LOL, I'm sure that is a very MSE way of defrosting a car windscreen but for most of us simply pressing a button on the dashboard and, hey presto, two minutes later a perfectly clear windscreen is by far the preferred option. :)

(And that's without the risk of trapping the flex in the car door or the fan falling down from the armrest or having to leave a window or door ajar to get the flex into the house... etc.) :eek:
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    LOL, I'm sure that is a very MSE way of defrosting a car windscreen but for most of us simply pressing a button on the dashboard and, hey presto, two minutes later a perfectly clear windscreen is by far the preferred option. :)

(And that's without the risk of trapping the flex in the car door or the fan falling down from the armrest or having to leave a window or door ajar to get the flex into the house... etc.) :eek:

It actually works really well and, importantly, clears all the windows. There is an outside power point right next to the car and the flex goes in through the bottom of the tailgate. The armrest is about a 10 inches wide and flat so little chance of the heater falling off. As we found out this morning, it only takes two or three minutes to clear the windscreen, longer if you want a toasty car too.

The only issues we have ever had is very occasionally forgetting to turn the alarm motion detector off, then waking up the neighbourhood when the heater starts blowing in the morning.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2017 at 12:16PM
    I use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N2QQRPT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Easy to fit and remove, not experienced any frost or ice on the windscreen at all.
    Far more convenient, but not as cheap, as water or scraper though!
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

I've done that for years too ;)

Even suggested it on here before now, 15p worth of electric is a lot more MSE than running the engine for 10 minutes, or crashing the thing because you can't see.

However, I'd love a heated front screen to stop it misting up in the rain, and for when it is frozen up at work. As mentioned before, you really do wonder why only Ford think you'd want something so genuinely useful, the other manufacturers still fit expensive useless gimmicks like coloured dashboards, alloy wheels and extra foglights instead.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 December 2017 at 7:06PM
    facade wrote: »
    I've done that for years too ;)

Even suggested it on here before now, 15p worth of electric is a lot more MSE than running the engine for 10 minutes, or crashing the thing because you can't see.

However, I'd love a heated front screen to stop it misting up in the rain, and for when it is frozen up at work. As mentioned before, you really do wonder why only Ford think you'd want something so genuinely useful, the other manufacturers still fit expensive useless gimmicks like coloured dashboards, alloy wheels and extra foglights instead.

As I said I no longer need a heated front screen - there is a button on the dash for front screen de-frosting and it does not involve any heating elements in the glass.

I wouldn't swap any of my 'gimmicks' as you call them for old technology such as a heated front screen.

Been there- had one in two cars - now moved on.

AC/CC and the correct settings available at the touch of a programmed button clears the screen in the same time as a heated one does.

From the manual:

Defrosting windows and removing condensation

Press the button.
    This removes ice and condensation quickly from the windscreen and the front side windows.
    To do this, point the side nozzles at the side windows if necessary.
    The air flow can be adapted when the program is active.
    If there is condensation on the window, switch on the cooling function as well or press the AUTO button to use the condensation sensor.

Hopefully other manufacturers will follow suit if they have not already done so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure