PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was going to start a new thread but I felt it was not worthwhile. I wonder if someone can help with a erm 'basic bean' question. :):o

I don't really like tomato sauce or bbq sauce either but I'd like some baked beans. It is not that easy to get them without it seems however, looking around I'm quite confused by the tins/packs available:

Haricot , Cannellini , ButterBean , Broad , Flagelot , Chickpea , BlackEye , Borlotti and various others I've not heard of. Those ones listed are really the 'easy to get' ones for next weeks shopping.

Haricot seems to be the favourite although there are a few 'mixes' which look interesting too. I'm actually looking at Morr's availability.

Any recommendations please ? All I really am looking for is something I can either tip into water or as more likely already in a tin I can simply warm up and tip onto my other bits, most likely a cheeky baked potato or mash. :D
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Personally - I keep a few cans of beans in (though my preference is cooking up my own and one can cook them up in batches and store in the freezer).

I think the "basics" are chickpeas (most definitely - as they can be used in a variety of ways - notably to make your own hummus very easily).

I also use canned haricot beans (think they are the "baked beans" beans) and canned kidney beans (useful for chillis for instance).

Also handy to have in a can or two of lentils - green ones or brown ones. The black ones are if you're being a bit "posh".
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    AndyCF wrote: »
    I was going to start a new thread but I felt it was not worthwhile. I wonder if someone can help with a erm 'basic bean' question. :):o

I don't really like tomato sauce or bbq sauce either but I'd like some baked beans. It is not that easy to get them without it seems however, looking around I'm quite confused by the tins/packs available:

Haricot , Cannellini , ButterBean , Broad , Flagelot , Chickpea , BlackEye , Borlotti and various others I've not heard of. Those ones listed are really the 'easy to get' ones for next weeks shopping.

Haricot seems to be the favourite although there are a few 'mixes' which look interesting too. I'm actually looking at Morr's availability.

Any recommendations please ? All I really am looking for is something I can either tip into water or as more likely already in a tin I can simply warm up and tip onto my other bits, most likely a cheeky baked potato or mash. :D

Buy the cheapest tin of baked beans, put them in a sieve to drain and rinse of the tomato sauce - voila ready cooked haricot beans to add to whatever you fancy, make bean burgers, falafel - Jack Munr0e has quite a few recipes using this method.
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you both. It is appreciated. :D

I can't belive I overlooked one obvious thing either, simply rinse the sauce off. Talk about "not seeing the woods for the trees" :o:D

I may try both ideas and also try a tin of the 'mixed' as there appear to be 5 types and its 50 odd pence for a tin of these so its worth a 'try' I think.

I had planned to mix said beans with some sweetcorn and peas and maybe a few chopped baby carrots, and then use as a 'filling' for mash or perhaps add to a baked potato instead.

The other idea / thought I had, was to try the beans in a tiny bit of decent gravy actually, by this I mean once they are 'ready' add to hot gravy and then empty out, so that in effect they would be 'beans in gravy' instead of 'beans in sauce' hmm I think it is worth a try to see how it turns out. I could use half a tin to trial it I suppose ? :)
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I felt this bad, I normally throw off the worst of a cold within a couple of days but this is day 3 and no improvement. I've only ever had the flu once in my life I think it was about 1968/69 I was in primary school anyway.

So the food plan has completely gone out the window - Monday consisted of about 2lts of water, an effervescent vitamin c tablet, paracetamol and a clementine but it was so difficult to swallow it felt like swallowing broken glass. Tuesday another vit c tablet, paracetamol, copious amounts of water & hot blackcurrant juice, managed to get out of bed and nuked a portion of soup and that was it.

I was beginning to run out of paracetamol so this morning had a shower, got dressed, had vit c and paracetamol and by then was absolutely shattered but I needed to go to the supermarket, so I've not long had cheesy mashed potatoes which were disappointing - I cant taste anything - and I'm really tired now so going back to bed hope those that were poorly are on the mend.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I've been up since 5.30am).... no particular reason to get up except I was awake and there was nothing else to do than to "get up" rather than closing my eyes and lying there.

Same here, I wonder if something flew low over the South Coast and woke us?
    I know Concorde sometimes used to fly over on the way to Heathrow

I sometimes listen to R4 if I wake early, I know all about Farming Today, actually I find it quite interesting at times, Glyphosate and EU, GM versus Gene Editing anyone?

Because I was up early I had loads of time, so breakfast was Jumbo oats porridge, with sliced clementine, Greek yoghurt & honey. How healthy is that to start the day:)

The good start continued in Asda, YS bananas, I was actually going to buy some at full price today, seems my luck was in, 20p for about 5, plus bag of YS spuds, 30p, 1.7Kg, do nicely for some mash or chips

Came home and overrode the CH controls, too cold out not to

Followed the toast & cream cheese urge, with a sliced tomato on for luck

Lunch, followed the crisps urge, one crisp sarnie :o

Dinner has to be some veggie stuff, I think it will be large baked spud, with tinned tuna / mayo filling & salad on the side
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I saw the bean question - and was going to answer with "the blinding obvious", but then it was pointed out by somebody else.

I've done a Sainsbobs run to stock up on beans :) two packs of four. That'll take me through the next month or so all right! There could be nothing worse than running out of beans on, say, Xmas Eve.... could there :)

While I was there I looked at a VAST array of sticky buns, desserts, gooey things ... and sighed at the ridiculously high price tags (even though some had YS on them they were still very very highly priced) .... then it was off to the doughnuts aisle and, as we all know, it's compulsory to buy a bag of five. It's illegal to buy just a single doughnut - the charge for that offence being "failing to understand value for money and the ability to do simple maths".

1 for 30p, possibly poked and coughed over -v- 5 in a sealed bag for 65p.

I didn't get anything else. Beans and doughnuts. What more could anybody want?

Lunch was: 2 doughnuts.

:)

I do NEED a crisp sarnie though ... those posts haven't been missed by me. But I need to buy fresh bread and crisps .... but it'll happen, soon.

Oh, I only just remembered (nobody else in world will have done) ... tomorrow I have a quiet Annual Cake Event ... but I've no cake.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    :bdaycake: You mean that sorta "annual cake event" Pastures?
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had a feast of crisp butties on Sunday.

Plain crisps on buttered bread with a generous squirt of salad cream in the 1st round, mayo in the 2nd and a bit of both in the 3rd...:o

Ate plenty more besides too...pure greed and comfort eating;)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 29 November 2017 at 6:59PM
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

Seems a fair bit of "soddits" around at the moment, at least it is possible to say it on here without getting trolled or SHOUTED at as most of us have our ups & downs along our CFO paths so although we can't Fix it, we can empathise

Tell me about it. Started to feel a bit brighter and a huge lump of tooth fell off while eating breakfast today:mad:

Is this it, have I got to the age when bits simply start falling off??!!:eek:

So very little food consumed today. I had a spot to do some food testing this afternoon so chivvied myself up to go as need the money but only ate (for ate think sucked!) the smallest bit of each dish and kept it firmly in the other side of my mouth. :D

Yoghurt or similar for tea and breakfast tomorrow pre dentist. Not sure it is easily fixable:(

Someone who knew i was worried about the weight gain I have since the virus suggested it was my body's way of seeking to restore my weight to
    normal :rotfl:

Hope everyone else's soddits are resolving and thanks all for being there this
    week and as faraway says for not judging or shouting but just listening.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure