Ryanair cabin baggage fine

Comments

• agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    I wasn't making any rash generalisation about the OP. You seem quite right, the OP was focussed enough to come here to share experience. I don't detect bitterness, just plain accurate observation of inconsistency between outbound and inbound treatment, an observation of power trip gate staff perhaps, and a desire to tell people about it.

Just as a matter of curiosity, what Ryanair experiences can you share, Pollycat, which we might take onboard next trip?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    agarnett wrote: »
    I wasn't making any rash generalisation about the OP. You seem quite right, the OP was focussed enough to come here to share experience. I don't detect bitterness, just plain accurate observation of inconsistency between outbound and inbound treatment, an observation of power trip gate staff perhaps, and a desire to tell people about it.

Just as a matter of curiosity, what Ryanair experiences can you share, Pollycat, which we might take onboard next trip?

Or perhaps more lax gate staff on the outbound flight and a person who expects passengers to adhere to the rules on the inbound....?

As Westin points out: "the OP has been asked several times about the actual size of the bag. She has not provided the information." so we do not know if her partner's bag was actually oversized or not.
  • Pollycat wrote: »

As Westin points out: "the OP has been asked several times about the actual size of the bag. She has not provided the information." so we do not know if her partner's bag was actually oversized or not.

She posted on TA and was asked about her bag size there too, but never provided the information.
  • pocketslint
    pocketslint Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    leylandsunaddict, please excuse my ignorance, but what does TA relate to?

I am genuinely interested in this thread as I travel regularly with Ryanair. Never any problems, but I do always follow the 'rules' and from personal experience, if staff had an inclination to refuse any baggage they would never need to target baggage of the correct dimensions/weight.
  • agarnett
    TA I presume is Trip Advisor.

I have to admit to being slightly amused by the phenomenon of holier than thou posters who wouldn't dream of trying to pass through a gate with a centimetre or ten oversized anything :p

As a different kind of fish entirely, I am constantly thrashing about here trying to think of a good analogy for the behaviour, and the best I have come up with is sardines who willingly will trim themselves to size before laying down quietly in the can and taking the sauce :rotfl:

We are all surely allowed to live a little? Or do we have to squeeze ourselves tightly into a regulation sized cocoon of our real selves until we are free to blossom out in the destination sun like the beautiful butterflies we really are? :D

Sorry - that turned out as two weird analogies :o

Ryanair bends rules barefacedly big time to suit its agenda - that's one culture. But we can't - even a little bit quietly?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    agarnett wrote: »
    TA I presume is Trip Advisor.

I have to admit to being slightly amused by the phenomenon of holier than thou posters who wouldn't dream of trying to pass through a gate with a centimetre or ten oversized anything :p

As a different kind of fish entirely, I am constantly thrashing about here trying to think of a good analogy for the behaviour, and the best I have come up with is sardines who willingly will trim themselves to size before laying down quietly in the can and taking the sauce :rotfl:

We are all surely allowed to live a little? Or do we have to squeeze ourselves tightly into a regulation sized cocoon of our real selves until we are free to blossom out in the destination sun like the beautiful butterflies we really are? :D

Sorry - that turned out as two weird analogies :o

Ryanair bends rules barefacedly big time to suit its agenda - that's one culture. But we can't - even a little bit quietly?
    Laugh on.

I make sure my hand luggage is the right size.
    I make sure I have the right # of items of hand luggage (usually less) be it one item or 1 item plus small bag.
    I make sure that my hand luggage is under the maximum weight allowance.
    I make sure my hold luggage is under the maximum weight allowance.

I pass through check-in and board the plane without any problems whatsoever.

I've never experienced anything like what the OP (and countless other posters on this and other fora) says happened to her.

So really - who is the laugh on?
  • agarnett
    edited 9 July 2017 at 11:27AM
    Pollycat wrote: »
    So really - who is the laugh on?
    I am not sure it's on anyone - does their have to be a laugh on someone to keep the world spinning?

My record in one cabin bag is 19kg when baggage police were at their busiest a few years back. I knew the risk. I regularly carry on 2 bags that are 55x40x20 with 55x40x35 tendencies which I keep in check, but I don't stuff the second one - it is a very lightweight G-Star one with a zip top along one of the long sides and when I am not using it my Samsonite regulation sized more substantial main bag fits exactly inside the G-Star if I want to make it one bag.

Generally I carry soft stuff in the second bag and of course could squash it into a small space if it got tested.

You do realise that Martin Lewis himself was recommending poachers/fishermens type pocketed jackets during the height of the nastier baggage police activity of a few years back?

Most of us on this site are moneysavers, yet a whole bunch of us will admit to even having been caught speeding at sometime in our lives. We try not to get caught 'cos it costs, but we generally get to where we plan to go in swiftsure fashion and before the best bargains are gone, and as we get older, maybe we get craftier and caught less :p

Maybe that applies to airlines too. Laugh Off.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    What "rules" do Ryanair barefacedly bend?

I'm assuming you're referring to regulation and other statutory instruments, not just something you've made up.
  • agarnett
    edited 9 July 2017 at 11:47AM
    IAmWales wrote: »
    What "rules" do Ryanair barefacedly bend?

I'm assuming you're referring to regulation and other statutory instruments, not just something you've made up.
    Well you could try Googling Ryanair ASA OFT CAA to remind yourself for starters, and Ryanair unfair financial aid Strasbourg, Ryanair Germany Credit Card Charge, Ryanair Denmark Unions, Ryanair secret subsidies, Ryanair self employed pilot tax. Those few just off the top of my Ryanair pretty fluent head - you just couldn't make it up!

But don't get me wrong - I do enjoy my Ryanair flights once I am settled onboard and maybe blagged a good seat too if it isn't too busy;)
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Get yourself a hard sided compliant 20cm 4 wheel case in a dark colour https://www.johnlewis.com/american-tourister-bon-air-4-wheel-55cm-cabin-suitcase-black/p2581087 and you'll look like a smart traveller and you will generally be ignored.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure