stop/start

kpwll
kpwll Posts: 4,273 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Can you please tell me if you can turn off or over-ride a stop/start facility on any/all cars with this function? Thank you.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Usually yes you can disable it. But you may have to disable it before every journey.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You generally can, but depending on your driving style you may never activate the function anyway - you have to take your car out of gear, footbrake on, and foot off clutch.
  • 4743hudsonj
    4743hudsonj Posts: 3,298 Forumite
    Some "eco" branded cars you cannot override the system. It activates/deactivates when conditions are correct.

My Octavia Greenline has this sort of system with no way to override (although non-greenline Octavia do have an override). My Skoda shares the same DNA with VW Bluemotions so i imagine these are similar.

Out of interest, what is your reservation? I have never heard a reasonable explanation for not wanting these systems. All people say is "i don't like them" but no one can explain why.
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
  • kpwll
    Some "eco" branded cars you cannot override the system. It activates/deactivates when conditions are correct.

My Octavia Greenline has this sort of system with no way to override (although non-greenline Octavia do have an override). My Skoda shares the same DNA with VW Bluemotions so i imagine these are similar.

Out of interest, what is your reservation? I have never heard a reasonable explanation for not wanting these systems. All people say is "i don't like them" but no one can explain why.

No reservations as such (although in the winter I do like the heater on whilst waiting to pick up the grandsons), it was just a discussion between hubby and me :)
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,505 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    You can on our Mercedes, but as others have said it doesn't take much to ensure the system kick in even though it is operating.

I have found no reason not to use the system. It works and doesn't impede me in any way.
  • 4743hudsonj
    4743hudsonj Posts: 3,298 Forumite
    kpwll wrote: »
    No reservations as such (although in the winter I do like the heater on whilst waiting to pick up the grandsons), it was just a discussion between hubby and me :)

Most systems will not work whilst the engine is warming to normal operating temperature so either your car should already be warm or the system will not kick in.
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite

The cabin would not get instantly cold.
  • kpwll
    DUTR wrote: »
    The cabin would not get instantly cold.

I'm probably going to get shot down in flames for this but I have to wait between 10 & 20 mins for them to come out of school and due to illness do not tolerate cold or getting chilled very well. I will add that I do feel guilty when keeping the engine running.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    I'm probably going to get shot down in flames for this but I have to wait between 10 & 20 mins for them to come out of school and due to illness do not tolerate cold or getting chilled very well. I will add that I do feel guilty when keeping the engine running.

I won't shoot you down, even after 10 mins the cabin will not be cold, however the vehicle will automatically put the engine back on if needs be, doesn't the car have heated seats and steering wheel too? :eek:
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Fiat 500 driver, there is a button on the dash to disable but you need to press it before every journey.

Mine also doesn't kick in until the car is warm but I mostly keep it turned off simply because I can't get my head around that stalled feeling lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure