Good *low level* Carbon Monoxide detector?

Options
Finding a CO detector is easy enough, but I'm looking for one that can detect and display low levels of carbon monoxide, preferably lower than 10 ppm (parts per million).

Most detectors only sound an alarm over 50 or even 100 ppm but prolonged exposure to lower levels can be just as dangerous and are totally ignored by many detectors. This is why a good detector with a digital readout is important.

I know of the FireAngel CO-90 which can display amounts as low as 10 ppm, but I wonder if any others can go lower?

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    You will be hard pushed to find a household CO detector that goes below 10ppm for a couple of reasons.

The Health and Safety executive in the UK have determined that 30ppm is the safe level (for up to half an hour) so this is what most detectors have as a minimum.

Cost.
    The more sensitive a detector, the more expensive it will be.
    I work in aviation and I know someone who has a very sensitive detector in their private aircraft and this reads down to 5 ppm but it costs about £170.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/2017-5-Ultra-Carbon-Monoxide-Monitor/dp/B083G31VS7/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=pg-2017+co+detector&qid=1579718745&sr=8-1
  • jefaz07
    jefaz07 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Why would you want it lower?
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jefaz07 wrote: »

Because long-term exposure to CO can damage your health, even at levels too low to trip a British Standards compliant detector.

The people who defined the standard set it at the level that could cause serious harm in a very short period, which isn't really very helpful for somewhere you stay for many hours every day.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    The figure of around 50 ppm is that which can cause problems in the short term (about 30 minutes).
    Just because concentrations below this level don't set off most alarms doesn't mean that they are safe, simply that any harm that may be caused takes longer.

This is one report:
    https://oem.bmj.com/content/59/10/708
    As exposure above 9 ppm for longer than eight hours leads to COHb levels of above 2.5%, health effects might occur at such levels. In the case of a malfunctioning gas heater, exposure would potentially occur for as long as the problem remained undetected, lasting weeks or even months
    But there are plenty of similar ones easily found.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    I think you are over thinking it, your breath can contain up to 9 ppm even if you don't smoke
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think you are over thinking it, your breath can contain up to 9 ppm even if you don't smoke

None smokers should be under 5ppm, and we all know smokers are slowly killing themselves.

10 ppm and over recent exposure to a high level of carbon monoxide and that you are a smoker 5–9 ppm recent exposure to a moderate level of carbon monoxide and you are possibly smoking 1–4 ppm recent exposure to a low level of carbon monoxide. It’s normal to have a small amount of carbon monoxide in your breath even if you’re not a smoker
    https://www.blf.org.uk/support-for-you/breathing-tests/exhaled-carbon-monoxide-test
  • jefaz07
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    Because long-term exposure to CO can damage your health, even at levels too low to trip a British Standards compliant detector.

The people who defined the standard set it at the level that could cause serious harm in a very short period, which isn't really very helpful for somewhere you stay for many hours every day.

So a lot of the population with gas cookers and hobs need to switch? If it were such a problem then the recommendation would be to remove all of these. I wonder how many people have long term health benefits off being around these most of their lives?
    Not a great deal I’d suspect.
  • jefaz07
    edited 23 January 2020 at 7:43AM
    Options
    The figure of around 50 ppm is that which can cause problems in the short term (about 30 minutes).
    Just because concentrations below this level don't set off most alarms doesn't mean that they are safe, simply that any harm that may be caused takes longer.

This is one report:
    https://oem.bmj.com/content/59/10/708

But there are plenty of similar ones easily found.
    The main thing I take from that article are the words ‘might’ ‘may’ ‘unknown’ basically what they’re saying is they don’t know if what you’re saying is true. Not really an article to confirm.
    I work with CO every day and my detector will detect 1ppm...and we have a heavy HSE presence.
    Nothing at all has been mentioned about any of this
    We have alarm levels set at 30ppm at which time we would evacuate.
    I have had my machine go to error due to too much CO...and that was way over 1000ppm
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So a lot of the population with gas cookers and hobs need to switch? If it were such a problem then the recommendation would be to remove all of these. I wonder how many people have long term health benefits off being around these most of their lives?
    Not a great deal I’d suspect.

Low levels for 1 hr a day with the extractor on or window open, plus the legally required air vent is no big deal, The biggest at risk group is going to be people in camper vans, mobile homes or homes with a gas fire in every room with all the vents painted over, Or a leaking Gas boiler in a modern more air tight home all winter.
  • jefaz07
    Options
    There is no legally required vent for a cooker in most kitchen settings as they are over 10m3 and who has their extractor on all the time?
    Realistically people who use cookers/hobs do so with windows shut and extraction not on.
    If you have a gas fire in every room with the ventilation covered over or a leaking boiler you’re going to get more than low level CO exposure of <9ppm, so those scenarios go without saying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure