Help! Carphone Warehouse struggles

Hi, this is probably easier to explain than I will manage to do, but my head is hurting over this issue. I’m not sure if this is the right forum so apologies if it’s not.

My son took out a pay monthly phone contract through Carphone Warehouse (he is 18), he did it online and put all his bank details in for the initial payment, then put his details in for the direct debit, which was due to start on 2nd February lasting for two years. The amount a month was £50 including insurance. And the deal through Carphone Warehouse was for a contract on EE.

He placed the order on the 3rd January and got the phone on the 4th of January. On the 5th January I rang up EE to get the PAC code so he could keep his original phone number.

This was due to me having a sim only monthly deal that was my personal account with EE and I’m the account holder but added my two children to my account. So needed to remove my sons number and get PAC code.

I was informed I could not get the PAC code or remove him from my account, as it was showing there was a new line added to my account and I needed my son to be there and contact Carphone warehouse whilst I was on the phone with EE.

I looked on my online mobile account and it was showing his new phone added to my account. I didn’t understand why so rang another department in EE. I was told that the phone line had been added to my account and I was now responsible for the charges. EE didn’t know how this had happened.

We went through possibilities, like did my son access my account, which he did not. Did he try to upgrade, which he did not.
The EE advisor then searched for my sons name and there was no account set up in his name at all and no links to Carphone Warehouse.

I rang Carphone Warehouse as EE and them have different protocols and things. The Carphone warehouse advisors were no help, and could not understand why it was on my account as they didn’t have my details just my sons.

So after going between the two companies EE was more helpful and talked to Carphone Warehouse on my behalf while I was on the line but were getting no answers. Some how my private details have been breached to add my sons new phone to my account without my permission or knowledge.

On the 6th January my son ad I returned the phone in person to the Carphone Warehouse store, we ended the contracted, disconnected the line and new number and cancelled the insurance (I have all the paperwork ).

I checked my EE account every day to see if the line had been removed, it had not. It got to day 7 and I rang EE to see why. They informed me they can not remove it, it has to be Carphone Warehouse. I informed them we had done this, and they could see a request had been made to disconnect the line but they could not do it it has to be Carphone warehouse. The request that was sent was to disconnect the line and was in my sons name, now obviously with the disastrous confusion it is in my name in my account so the request couldn’t be done.

I rang back Carphone Warehouse to change the name in the request but they again did not understand why it’s in my name. But said they sent a new request. That was on the 16th January. It still hasn’t been changed.

I have sent two complaint letters one to each company, this was on the 14th January. So far EE are not taking responsibility for it.

I rang Carphone warehouse but this time the store we returned it too and explained to them. They can not understand as on their system everything is in my sons name, and I have been told he has done nothing wrong he filled out the details correctly. Carphone Warehouse are saying EE has to disconnect the line.

I am going round in circles between the two companies. One of them has managed to access my account without my consent, which is needed. I have not been informed that a line had been added. My sons bank details for his direct debit he put in are not showing on his bank account as even having a direct debit set up. So where have they gone.

I don’t know what to do or if there’s another form of action to take after the complaint letters, as somewhere data protection has been breached and security.

Any help or advice would be great. Sorry for the long read and congrats if you read it all.

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    My son took out a pay monthly phone contract through Carphone Warehouse (he is 18), he did it online and put all his bank details in for the initial payment, then put his details in for the direct debit, which was due to start on 2nd February lasting for two years. The amount a month was £50 including insurance. And the deal through Carphone Warehouse was for a contract on EE.

Was this done as a upgrade on the previous phone or a new purchase/account?
    Life in the slow lane
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    born_again wrote: »
    Was this done as a upgrade on the previous phone or a new purchase/account?

It says further down (I appreciate theres a lot of info!) that he did not try top upgrade, nor did he access his mums account to order this phone.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Email the CEO team ... front line customer services are usually pants, and were so even when they were Orange.
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,808 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    DoaM wrote: »
    Email the CEO team ... front line customer services are usually pants, and were so even when they were Orange.
    Ask for the email address of the data controller at each company stating that you will be making a formal complaint
    I expect that you will be dealing with someone who has the common sense and authority to be able to resolve you issue
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure