We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Happy Birthday to Mum Alfie. It's good she's still sharp as a tack.

Very cold here but gloriously bright & dry this past few days. hail the other day & the tops are a bit white and the wind is biting.

Was away down to the middle belt for a few days to a wedding which was lovely & made a change. Collie Wobble was in kennels and did not like it one bit.

Not doing much at the moment but just the basics.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 November 2019 at 7:57PM
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    ive had my chimney swept and the guy said "but you have a lot of tar on the bricks and that's dodgy , I can let off a blast of a chemical to coat it and then every time you have a fire it will help disintergrate the tar , only another £50 " have any of you'se been told this ?

No. We have a flue now, and finally, a good sweep, but he's not said anything about tar. He does go up on the roof and clean the bird cage on the cowl, which gets very tarred-up over a season. Too much slumbering the fire, I suppose, but you don't always want a blast furnace!

We're currently heating the house on dull days with the logs I cut the winter before last, but if it's sunny, we don't need anything till dark, especially with the conservatory doors open. :D Boiler kicks in early and late when we want it, just for an hour or so, but the woodburner and the sun usually do most of the work till around Christmas.
    Anyway, for £50, one can buy a lot of magic powder:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stovax-Protector-Flue-Chimney-Cleaner/dp/B0036D3XQQ

Reviews seem reasonable, but it seems the pros use something else:
    https://bristlesweep.co.uk/tar-removal/

Using a flail or rotary brush is something I'd avoid if I could. Last chap who did that here ripped out the stuff in the joint and the flue pipe leaked.:mad:
  • Davesnave
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    stay safe peeps and fingers crossed for Yorkshire !
    I don't think it worked.:(

It seems areas in the middle of the country have been having floods in the past few winters, while we down here have largely escaped since 2012, with the special exception of the Somerset Levels and the railway at Dawlish in 2014. It's all very random.

We've already clocked up winds of 100+mph on the SW coast this autumn, and there's been minor damage at Dawlish again despite them spending £35m on the sea defences.

Here, the rivers have stayed within their banks, just about, and Network Rail have the line closed currently for upgrading....well, that's their word for it. Apparently, they cut down a couple of Pete's trees in error! :mad: Pete's good at negotiation though, so I've just ordered 12 new trees for him, paid for by the railway! :D

Over on the other side of the world, our ex-builder must be worrying, as the wildfire risk intensifies around the Sydney hinterland. It's only the start of their dry season, so what things will be like in 3 months, I dread to think. We can now look at a satellite image, which now includes the house he's still finishing, but the green landscape he showed us in dozens of photos when he bought the plot, is no longer to be seen. It's all very concerning.
  • Davesnave
    Brrr! We have a predicted max of 4c today, plus another band of rain sweeping across all day, some snow on Dartmoor and the rivers are full. It doesn't bode well...:(

T'other end of the month looks better, though. :)

Like the election then: promises, promises. But when some serious action's required that any idiot could see would have benefited all concerned, what happens? Sod all....for days. Glad the photo opportunities were well and truly shafted by the locals! :p

Last night, DW found the main road blocked by two fallen trees and had to do a 5 mile detour to get home. Knowing where they were, I expect Pete & son were called out to that and they're now safely stacked. Maybe we'll get to burn them in 2023, but I won't hold my breath, as Pete's been rather tardy with log deliveries lately. I can see the pile I made in 2017 is going down a bit now, but 2 months worth of free heat is still good. :D

When's the winter fuel allowance due? I need a new cement mixer. I've thrashed our 37 year old model, Basil Fawlty style, but it's no good!
  • mufi
    mufi Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Davesnave wrote: »

When's the winter fuel allowance due? I need a new cement mixer. I've thrashed our 37 year old model, Basil Fawlty style, but it's no good!

Depends on the first letter of your surname - mine (first letter D) turned up in my bank account on 22 November last year.

Mine goes on gin to be shared with the offspring (as long as they stop moaning about baby boomers for a second or two); far more satisfactory than a cement mixer:rotfl:
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Snow covering on the tops here & roads iced this morning - all the goats are down off the hill so that's Winter here now.

Pretty cold over the East today when we ventured across but dry & bright as copper. Trees look stunning but the rest of the leaves will be off soon. Good ancient beech wood where I go with collie wobble looks stunning.

My energy levels at zero. Little getting done apart from basic stuff.
  • Davesnave
    edited 15 November 2019 at 6:22AM
    mufi wrote: »
    Depends on the first letter of your surname - mine (first letter D) turned up in my bank account on 22 November last year.
    Mine goes on gin to be shared with the offspring (as long as they stop moaning about baby boomers for a second or two); far more satisfactory than a cement mixer:rotfl:
    Ah, thanks. Looks like mine might arrive before the end of the month then. :beer:
    Cement mixers are a necessary evil for building Baby Boomers, because hand mixing in a barrow is hard on old bodies, besides resulting an an inferior product. That's a lot of 'bs!' ....No, not BS!

It's not been a great day for weather, or news. Had a card this morning telling me an old friend, aged 98, is no longer with us. A live wire, who saw action as a fighter pilot in WW2, he was my last link with that era. :( Died at home with all his family around him, just as he wished. :)

The second person we've just lost used to deliver the softwood logs. A young farmer's wife, who sometimes had trouble with their machine, she'd produce some monster specimens and apologise profusely. I'd groan but forgive her, because she had such a cheerful, sunny disposition. Being a typically fit-looking country girl, often with two mischievous children in tow, it must have been a huge shock to the family ...Sudden brain aneurysm, I think. :(

There was some ice on the Link Road north of here this morning and a few vehicles came to grief. It's early, so I expect the gritters weren't sent out. Rivers stayed within their banks, just about, and things should ease a little now.
  • mufi
    mufi Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Davesnave wrote: »

Dave, just checked and mine's gone into the bank this morning. :j

Is it gin o'clock yet?:)
  • Davesnave
    edited 19 November 2019 at 11:23AM
    mufi wrote: »
    Is it gin o'clock yet?:)
    Thanks for the heads-up. Mine's gone in today too, :D:beer:
    No gin, (or in my case whisky) I'm afraid.:( Had the hedges cut on Sunday and this year it was double what it cost in 2018, due to this being the heavier cut year. We're on a 3 year rolling programme of 2 light cuts and one heavy now, as recommended by various wildlife bodies.:A

Just (finally!)had a weird communication from Santander agreeing that we had PPI with an old Abbey National account, but treating the complaint I thought we'd already made as an 'enquiry.' :(

So, we now have 12 weeks to complain because, "We will not automatically convert an enquiry into a complaint for you.":mad:

Hmm, slippery as a box of frogs that lot! They needn't worry, we'll send a complaint all right; the only reason we had the PPI was because their employee, Scott, assured us it was part of the application process and "wouldn't be activated" because he would cancel it for us. Yeah, right.:huh:

I was a suspicious so & so, even in those days, so I kept a note, checked at some point and cancelled it myself, before it had run too long, but there's a few bob in there. Grrrr!
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,730 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Good for you Dave!
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport