We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    hi all ....

it is bl**dy cold here especially at night so goodness knows how choille is faring !! hope you got plenty of logs for your burner XX

they have had some tree work done in lower 2 fields and oh boy is it churned up !! and a huge pile of woodchip left ? I asked why and they said they couldn't get the big trailer in the field as it sunk in the first 10ft ... so now have to find out if dangerous for the horses/sheep !! cant use 5 acres if dodgy and as bad weather forecast for the next week it aint going to be shifted for a while ......

I have farrier tomoz [early] so hope weather holds off till he has gone !

just had ny neighbours knock the door with their 4 yr old "scary spider" son who marched in and demanded to know what I was offering as a treat .... so funny !! they looked so embarrassed but I couldn't stop laughing so that help ease them !
    i carved some pumpkins [flaming dragons] and they are on the pillars on the track ... obviously didn't phase scary spiders !!

well happy Halloween xx
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    they have had some tree work done in lower 2 fields and oh boy is it churned up !! and a huge pile of woodchip left ?
    so now have to find out if dangerous for the horses/sheep !!
    I don't think sheep would eat it, as it's not green. Some of our youngsters have learned to eat apples now and they do chew the lower branches of the trees too, a bit, but they steer away from poisonous stuff like foxgloves. I can see where they've browsed all around those and left the leaves intact.

It was cold when the east winds blew, and it did nothing but mizzle all day today, when the breeze switched to the south, but I'm hopeful we'll get something better next week.:)

Anyway, the new mower cuts stuff whatever, though I didn't take it down to the bottom of the woodland near the stream, 'cos with the gradient, wet grass and mud I'd never get it out again!

I keep forgetting to pick the pears.:o Suddenly, we have half a dozen massive ones on a silly little tree we transplanted in the orchard about 8 years ago. It's not done much previously. No idea what they are, but they're 3x normal size.
  • in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,647 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 November 2019 at 12:43AM
    I've been taking mum out every day this week so feel very behind. Warm but damp here so I could get out. It looked cold so mum decided to stay in the warm - unfortunately my heating has needed to be on for her for a few weeks already. I have managed to replace most of my wood pile after the neighbour set fire to my well dried out stock but they won't be ready for a while. The new pile is nearer the house where I hope it'll be safer. Neighbour has replaced burnt hedge with 6 new fence panels so no need for me to nurture what remains of the hedge - less cutting - happy! It can't be seen from the house.

I planted up the pots with bulbs then the hens got through into the house garden and dug them all up. What a mess! They are laying well so all is forgiven. I need to check the hedge bottom.

I've been using frozen produce to make preserves. Making space in the freezer and to bulk up the veg boxes. It's a strange time of year and I have two new customers who are happy to have jam or pickle instead of veg/fruit. I though a few might stop for winter - I hinted even - but everyone is happy to continue for the time being.

My son has settled into his new house and although he has always enjoyed helping me outside he hasn't yet taken ownership/control of his garden yet. I picked/picked up about 60 Williams pears. I have bottled some but they don't freeze well.

Tomorrow my daughter is helping me re-felt the shed roof. An old cat used to sunbath up there and has clawed holes. Sadly the cat is gone but it does mean the new felt will last a good while.
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • This week has been good in terms of getting to work early/on time, as the neighbouring area decided to take two weeks for half term. I've had to spend some cash on a Proper Jacket, though - waterproof, padded, fleece lined, hooded and fits perfectly. I've never had a coat that's Just Right before (or, for that matter, any coat for the majority of the time) and I'm ridiculously overexcited about having one now.

Had to retrieve the wheelie bin a few times from down the road, but it's not been too bad a week - the sunrise clock is definitely proving its usefulness now, though - I heard my first Robin since the summer, but no starlings yet. Plenty of Parakeets and corvids all summer, which is certainly better than no birds at all - and we've had very little in the way of pests or angry stingy things.

Idiot Cat is in his second bout of paying rent, going by the pathetic specimen he nailed Sunday at 6am - the poor dear decided it was too cold to keep murdering it outside, so bellied in past me as I opened the door, dashing upstairs to deal with in the warmth of the bedroom. I chased him and his rodent friend straight back out again with a broom.

All was going well until Himself dropped a bombshell. 'Is it OK if my mum and sister come to stay for a couple of nights in December?'. :eek: :eek: :eek:

They're small, cute and just so bl**dy nice. In my house. And we'll have to offer them my bed, as they may be small, but there's two of them and MIL has always insisted that we have her bed when we've gone down there. So I can't say 'sofa or single bed?'. And they'll want to watch soap operas and **** like that.

I'll definitely confuse her, though. Because I have the heating on without an ounce of guilt - to a tropical 18 degrees, true - but I work hard enough to think that I deserve to be warm.

At least I'll be at work when they're here. Hopefully. Even if that does mean having to sleep surrounded by guitars and Stuff in the spare room. With two confused cats galloping around me because MIL won't have animals upstairs (so they will definitely be upstairs, just not where they are used to being - and they've always kept visitors company at night previously when friends have stayed).

But the house will need cleaning to within an inch of its life. Which Himself claims he'll do - but he hasn't exactly managed to do his share for the last six weeks, so I doubt that very much.

Maybe I could find a new hobby for [strike]their entire stay[/strike] a couple of nights - or offer to help a friend with her primary school nativities/pantos?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • No chance to repair the shed roof today so a day in the kitchen making pear chutney, green tomato chutney, quince jelly and bottled pears and small jars of bottled blackberries. I couldn't help my self so I finished off with a spiced pear chocolate upside down pudding for tomorrows lunch.

My daughter went out walking and returned with two large logs she found in fly tipped in a lay-by. She took a photo of the rubbish before she took them in case anyone passing thought she had dumped it and reported her. Three evenings fires sorted.

We lost a cat for a while then found him upstairs asleep on my bed. He almost never goes upstairs, that's the first time he's settled for a sleep in 15 years. I helped his mum deliver him so to me he's still a kitten - I can't believe I should be buying senior food for him. I only remember him bringing two rabbits home this year. In the past he's caught so many I didn't need to feed him for weeks in a row.

Tomorrow - repair shed roof, find where hens get through into garden, pick and sort last of the apples
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    its a hard life when one gets to drive THIS ...... :D:D:D

https://i.postimg.cc/MKj2YxpP/thumbnail-IMG-2497-1.jpg
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,733 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    OOOH very nice
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    its a hard life when one gets to drive THIS ...... :D:D:D
    https://i.postimg.cc/MKj2YxpP/thumbnail-IMG-2497-1.jpg
    I'd be terrified of scratching it in the lanes around here.....and anyway, where do you put all the supplies you pick up from the farmers' store? :(

DD1 is on her third car in as many months. People have driven into her twice, and the dashcam has been worth its weight in insurance paperwork. Sam is somewhat nervous now about travelling. With us, he kept pointing out, "This road isn't wide enough for two cars!"

Once, I tried to lighten things by saying, "Ah, but Mummy got a better car out of each accident she had."

There was silence for a moment, then a voice replied, "And I got a new red bike, with gears!"

Not sure how that worked....:rotfl:
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    I'd be terrified of scratching it in the lanes around here.....and anyway, where do you put all the supplies you pick up from the farmers' store? :(

Likewise and I can confirm that I can sleep very comfortably in the back of my 7 year old Honda Jazz (more modern ones have an uncomfortable ridge at about hip level - very poor design:o)
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    hi all ,
    I am assuming you are all getting deluged with rain as we are !!
    doesn't seem to stop for long ...just long enough to get a few jobs done then off it goes again ...

hope you are not eating now .... I awoke to find 2 out of 3 of my dogs had had an upset stomach in the night !!!! needless to say they looked mortified and you cant tell them off ...
    carpet cleaning duty tomorrow !

I think I have said we [3 of us ladies ] meet each week to build / gossip / tinker with dolls houses etc . well for the last couple of months we have been building a TEA ROOMS . we have 95% completed it and have donated it to our local cat and kitten rescue . they will have it in their shop window till raffled in December . ive had lots of tickets printed and we hope in the next 5/6 weeks we can sell lots of tickets . donations [£s] are always low after xmas so hopefully will keep the coffers going . when it is finished [tomorrow] I will post some pics .

it was my mums birthday today , 88 ..... took her for a drive in the forest to see the lovely colours and then to an old pub for lunch . she is so good for her age .. few blips [her words] along the way but otherwise still got her marbles ....

ive had my chimney swept and the guy said "but you have a lot of tar on the bricks and that's dodgy , I can let off a blast of a chemical to coat it and then every time you have a fire it will help disintergrate the tar , only another £50 " have any of you'se been told this ?

stay safe peeps and fingers crossed for Yorkshire !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback