THomas Cook Holiday paid for using compensation voucher

I've had a holiday cancelled to Cuba due to TC going bust like many have. Mine was paid for using a compensation voucher worth £1880. I've an ATOL certificate etc but will I get the cost of the holiday back under the refund scheme via ATOL?

Comments

• bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Well you did not pay £1880 by cash or card so I don't think you will get it back in cash, only a voucher, which, as we all know, is not worth anything now. So I believe you have lost your compensation voucher payment.

I asked for advice as we had paid £2000 towards a cruise leaving in November with a compensation voucher,the rest on a card, and wrongly thought they were Thomas Cook flights but thankfully they were not.

Happy to be corrected but I was told by the Tour Operator that had they have been Thomas Cook flights we would not have been reimbursed the cost of the vouchers.
  • bspm1
    Update

I had to cancel the above Cruise in November due to ill health, this is the one I mentioned that I had used a £2000 credit voucher for that tui had given us, admittedly I had to cancel it due to ill health and no one wanting to re-insure me until operation performed but I got all my money back, including the £2000 I paid with a voucher, all that was stopped was the excess,obviously.

All i sent to the Insurance company, along with medical letters of course was the total cost of the cruise,and this they refunded us.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You were very lucky, the CAA is not refunding similar payments when the voucher was issued for EU261 delays. I hope everyone has learned a lesson that a £ in the hand is worth a lot more than a voucher with
    £2 written on it, always take the cash!
  • bspm1
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    You were very lucky, the CAA is not refunding similar payments when the voucher was issued for EU261 delays. I hope everyone has learned a lesson that a £ in the hand is worth a lot more than a voucher with
    £2 written on it, always take the cash!

Don't really check on here much lately but I have no idea what you mean in saying I was very lucky? Did you mean me?
  • bspm1
    edited 23 January 2020 at 1:27PM

Thanks for that bradders, strange I came across as needing to clam down when I merely asked if the poster meant that I was lucky but hey ho, now, had i have put so you mean me!! and used those awful asterisks I may have come across as not calm.

The op was from a poster who had, like myself, received a compensation voucher from a previous holiday and used it to book another one, the op obviously booked a TC one and now they are defunct was questioning if they would get back the voucher credit as money.

I explained that I had done the same and had booked a cruise which, fortunately, did not involve TC flights but that I didnt think I would get a refund of the voucher.I had already had flights with TC refunded to my credit card for another holiday so this post was regarding the vouchers, which seemed to be the original question

I then updated to say that i had in fact received a cheque for a certain amount and this included the voucher so I was very pleased, this led to this other poster saying I was lucky which I did not understand as it was not a delayed flight, not TC going bust and the poster quoted regs that had nothing to do with my situation, which is why I asked if the poster meant me, can get very confusing on here obviously.

But dont you worry your little head over me staying clam bradders, I am the epitome of calm.

:j
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bspm1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that bradders, strange I came across as needing to clam down when I merely asked if the poster meant that I was lucky but hey ho, now, had i have put so you mean me!! and used those awful asterisks I may have come across as not calm.

The op was from a poster who had, like myself, received a compensation voucher from a previous holiday and used it to book another one, the op obviously booked a TC one and now they are defunct was questioning if they would get back the voucher credit as money.

I explained that I had done the same and had booked a cruise which, fortunately, did not involve TC flights but that I didnt think I would get a refund of the voucher.I had already had flights with TC refunded to my credit card for another holiday so this post was regarding the vouchers, which seemed to be the original question

I then updated to say that i had in fact received a cheque for a certain amount and this included the voucher so I was very pleased, this led to this other poster saying I was lucky which I did not understand as it was not a delayed flight, not TC going bust and the poster quoted regs that had nothing to do with my situation, which is why I asked if the poster meant me, can get very confusing on here obviously.

But dont you worry your little head over me staying clam bradders, I am the epitome of calm.

:j

I think that Alan Bowen ( who is a very knowledgeable and frequent poster )meant that if you have the option of cash or a higher value voucher it,s better to take the cash IF there is a chance that the company who issued the voucher may go bust/insolvent/t---ts up as then the voucher becomes worthless but cash is king
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I think confusion all round as the OP’s issue was in regard to questioning Thomas Cook vouchers following the collapse of that business and bspm1’s experience was with a TUI voucher and a medical claim.
  • Agreed , not sure what any of it has to do with the OP's post !
  • bspm1
    Westin wrote: »
    I think confusion all round as the OP’s issue was in regard to questioning Thomas Cook vouchers following the collapse of that business and bspm1’s experience was with a TUI voucher and a medical claim.

As already said my post was in reply to vouchers being refunded as cash, whether because of TC, or, like the op, given due to a previous holiday as mine were and then unfortunately not going to be used as per their post.

All I asked Alan Bowen was if he was talking to me and saying I was lucky to have got a refund, just questioning what a EU261 meant to me?

You all have a nice day.
  • bspm1
    koalakoala wrote: »
    Agreed , not sure what any of it has to do with the OP's post !

What it has to do with the OP's post was that the post asked if anyone thought he/she would get cash back when the holiday that he can no longer go on was cancelled due to TC going bust, I answered with my very recent none TC but cancelled holiday using a compensation voucher experience and then updated when I got a full refund.......[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure