Options

Comments

• k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    More holes in this story than a Swiss cheese :eek:

Have you paid this 'transport guy' ?

Why do you think he's suddenly taken the risk of going back to a Main Dealer to get your car when he'd already had it on his transporter and could have spirited it away on the journey from France to UK ?

What's the real story ?
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why did he stay at your house for a few days, twice?

I can understand staying overnight if he was coming a long way to collect a car, not sure why you put him up , are you running a B&B?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried to contact the transport guy at all to see what's going on? Is there some sort of mix-up?
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    He hasn't borrowed a tool, he has stolen a £30k car, without even a word

Spoken to dealer again, and guy I spoke to agreed it is total incompetence and that he had put my instructions on my file, which they didn't look at when they released the car!
    Manager is off today - training day at Land Rover!!! Will phone me tomorrow

By the sounds of it, he has taken it without your consent, but that is different to stealing it. Are you in any sort of financial dispute with the car transporter man that might prompt him to hold the car against settlement? It seems a bizarre thing to steal a car when the owner knows who's got it.

If this is truly a straightforward theft, then most, if not all insurance companys would require you to report it to them irrespective of whether you make a claim.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    I have not spoken to the transport guy, as want to follow correct channels - don't know where the car is now
    The "correct channels" in the first instance is to speak to the "transport guy" and find out what's happening.

The whole story tbh smells a bit iffy to me.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    Nobbie1967 wrote: »
    It seems a bizarre thing to steal a car when the owner knows who's got it.

And when it's not actually been fixed yet (I assume). Has he misunderstood an instruction from you to collect the car and deliver it somewhere else?

But then suddenly dropping the guy because of a gut feeling seems a bit odd as well.

This would be much easier to deal with if you asked the guy rather than avoiding him. Makes it sound like there's more going on (like you owing him money).

If you're regarding it as stolen - you need to have a crime reference and tell your insurance.

If you don't think it's stolen - you need to ask where it is and arrange to get it returned.

But this all sounds dodgy.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not been stolen
    You instructed him to take it.

You didn't think to contact him and tell him you don't need him now?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    after we had agreed that he would use their payment to cover my cost...so we were quits

Surely the sum he received for transporting the car to the UK was his payment from the insurance company for the job. How would that cover a sum that you owed him?

Why did you owe him money?
    Have you not paid him anything for transporting your Landrover back to UK?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    At best we're not getting the full true story here, at worst it's complete fantasy. I think the OP needs to be more upfront here and explain exactly what's transpired.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Nobbie1967 wrote: »
    By the sounds of it, he has taken it without your consent, but that is different to stealing it.
    It is - but Taking Without the Owner's Consent (TWOC) is a distinct offence, one that doesn't require proving the intent to permanently deprive.

If this is truly a straightforward theft, then most, if not all insurance companys would require you to report it to them irrespective of whether you make a claim.
    <nods> And the police, obviously.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport