Variable Speed Limit Ticket - Help.

Comments

• TooManyPoints
    TooManyPoints Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    "Getting back to the OP, to get a speed awareness course you'd need to have been going under 66mph."

Close, but no cigar. You do indeed need to have been travelling under 66 mph.But you actually need to be travelling under 65mph. Speed Awareness Courses are normally offered up to (Limit + 10% + 9mph). So, in a 50 limit, 64 would normally be dealt with by a SAC whilst 65 would see a fixed penalty. A second SAC will not be offered where the offender has done one previously within three years (the dates of the offences being used for the calculation). The exception is that is one of the two has been offered by the Dorset Safety Camera Partnership. Dorset does not participate in the national scheme and an offender who has done a Dorset course may also do another from a different area within three years (and vice versa).

Whilst on the subject, since this is the second thread in the past couple of days where posters have been told incorrectly that they would be going to court, perhaps I could explain the fixed penalty limits. They are normally offered as follows (where a Speed Awareness Course is not appropriate, as above):

Where the limit is 20mph, FP is offered up to 40mph
    30mph up to 50mph
    40mph up to 65mph
    50mph up to 75mph
    60mph up to 85mph
    70mph up to 95mph

A Fixed penalty will not be offered when three points would take the offender to twelve or more (because he faces a six month ban under the "totting up" rules). However one would be offered if it would take a "New Driver" (one who has passed his first test less than two years before the offence) to six points or more (and so face revocation of his licence), The former can be avoided because it is imposed judiciously by the court and the court has the discretion not to impose it; the latter cannot be avoided because it is imposed administratively by the DVLA and the court has no power to prevent it.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »
    With respect, this is rubbish.

If it was indeed a 50 limit, any speed up to 75 is going to mean a fixed penalty, 3 points and £100.

svgsav.png

75mph in a 50mph is a Band B offence.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    debtdebt wrote: »
    If it goes to court. Which it won't, unless the OP is already only 3pts away from either a totting ban or a first-two-year cancellation, or refuses to engage with the inevitable FPN.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    debtdebt wrote: »
    svgsav.png

Undoubtedly. But only if the OP refuses a fixed penalty. Which would be foolish.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Helpmelord wrote: »
    I;m just wondering in this circumstance, because there was no clear signage, and because I have not had another offence and because no there was no circumstance or reason for 50 MPH variable (I have been reading and they sometimes give the ban if you have not been a threat to the road before)

A ban would be ideal, 4 points would be bad but doable, but 6 points means a lost license within 2 years of driving.

If you cannot see a big illuminated sign directly in front of you you shouldn't be on the road. And there was a reason for the 50MPH limit, congestion a few miles ahead of you. They often lower the speed limits several miles back to relieve congestion ahead.

A ban will mean eye watering insurance.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    If it is an indicated 70, it won't be a ban but 3 points
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    If it goes to court. Which it won't, unless the OP is already only 3pts away from either a totting ban or a first-two-year cancellation, or refuses to engage with the inevitable FPN.

Three points already on his licence won’t see it going to court. It’s the dvla who revoke the licence not the court.
  • TooManyPoints
    TooManyPoints Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Three points already on his licence won!!!8217;t see it going to court. It!!!8217;s the dvla who revoke the licence not the court.

Indeed. As I said earlier:
    A Fixed penalty will not be offered when three points would take the offender to twelve or more (because he faces a six month ban under the "totting up" rules). However one would be offered if it would take a "New Driver" (one who has passed his first test less than two years before the offence) to six points or more (and so face revocation of his licence), The former can be avoided because it is imposed judiciously by the court and the court has the discretion not to impose it; the latter cannot be avoided because it is imposed administratively by the DVLA and the court has no power to prevent it.
  • Helpmelord
    Helpmelord Posts: 23 Forumite
    Hello Guys.

Thank you for all your comments.

As an update here was the final verdict:

NOTHING. It is now been over 3 weeks and I did not recieve anything in the post. Now I'd like to know why I wasn't caught considering it definitely flashed. Very unusual, counting my lucky stars. Taking this as a SOLID lesson. Thanks to everyoje for their advice.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    Helpmelord wrote: »
    Hello Guys.

Thank you for all your comments.

As an update here was the final verdict:

NOTHING. It is now been over 3 weeks and I did not recieve anything in the post. Now I'd like to know why I wasn't caught considering it definitely flashed. Very unusual, counting my lucky stars. Taking this as a SOLID lesson. Thanks to everyoje for their advice.

As asked above, are you the registered keeper?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure