MMD: Should Jeremy and Kirsty come clean?

Comments

• I would contact the buyers and discuss the new problem. They could then work out if they were covered by insurance and if not splt the cost of repairs between themselves. Better to keep on good terms.
  • maljon
    maljon Posts: 2 Newbie
    Like others, I think that honesty is the best policy (although the temptation might very well be to say nothing).

As it is before exchange the buyer is not fully committed and their insurance will not cover them.

The sellers will have completed enquiries before contract and I seem to remember that there is some continuing obligation in these to advise the buyers of relevant things happening post enquiry (but it is a while since we have been in the process).

Even so, a crack may not in itself be serious and many older houses will have them. If they have had the right survey it should have uncovered any issues.

Depending on the relationship established with the buyer a direct call would be best but if there is a bad/ difficult relationship etc. a call to their solicitor is probably the best route.

The last thing anyone wants is to have to fight off a claim for part of the sale price back (if t turned out to be serious).
  • MoneySlider
    MoneySlider Posts: 13 Forumite
    I work as a Building Surveyor and my opinion is that cracks do not appear overnight. If a crack has become evident it will be as a result of a defect that has been in existance for a considerable amount of time. If the buyers had a survey done then their surveyor should have picked up the problem.

If the surveyor has been negligent in not noticing the defect then the buyers can sue him for damages (the cost of repairing the defect). However, a surveyor is only at liberty to carry out a reasonable inspection. If the level of inspection did not specify looking in the loft and that is where the defect was then he would not be responsible.

Simarly, if the seller deliberately decieved the surveyor by covering up a crack with plaster, then he is not liable.

This is getting off the point a little. They should definately not try to cover up the crack, as this is deception. Because they haven't exchanged contracts it is still their house, and their responsibility. I would tell the buyer and try to strike a deal over costs / tell them to sue their surveyor if he has been negligent.
  • Do as you would be done by. Tell them there is a crack. Tell them that you have told your insurers and will get it fixed. Simply really. Covering it up to try and hide it puts you in the wrong and you have to live with your conscience. One day you might be the buyer and think how you would feel.
  • Carlsberg
    Carlsberg Posts: 39 Forumite
    I think all of you who say take the money and run are disgracefull. It is hard enough for 1st time buyers nowdays, being one myself, me and my partner struggle every month. We fell in love with our house, got the survey done and then within about 2 months, our front room ceiling fell in at 2:30am. it was cause by the previous owner not filling the bach before doing the sealant and so the shower had !!!!ed through. They had painted the ceiling with plasticote paint so there was no sign. We were left upset, and with a 5ft hole in our living room and no frontroom for over 7 months while we saved to sort it all. The insurance may pay for so much, but it doesnt pay to clean up and re paint etc!, Futhur more, we began to discover the wake of shoddy workmanship, chip board in place of plaster board on an exteriour wall, dodgey electrics which nearly killed my other half, a year on due to lack of cash, we still have to turn our heating on with a wooden spoon. Surveys arent worth the paper they are written on. I personally will never sell anything unsafe, i couldnt live with myself. I am all for making selling houses more difficult, and more strict rule being put in place. I am never intending to move, as I love my house, faults and all, and if i did, id make sure it was all ok. but the amount of upset and stress has been unbelievable. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. i just hope it comes back to bite you on the !!! some day 10 fold!:mad:
    My Husband calls me a money pervert :A
  • Ed_Bond
    Ed_Bond Posts: 11 Forumite
    Depends on what type of person you are. Honesty and deception may cost you!

I would seek advice from my solicitor, as you should already have one so there probably would be no cost. If contracts have not been exchanged, the solicitor could alter the contract to ensure the buyer is responsible for ensuring the property is in the same condition as they viewed it, and the vendor bears no responsibility.

I would imagine it depends if the buyers of the house made the offer on the house in the state and condition they viewed it as and the contract reflects that. The damage has changed the condition, so effectively the vendor is selling a different property now and should advise the buyers accordingly.

If the house collapsed before completion, the buyers were not aware, and they found out after completion, a) sue surveyor if they got a full survey (though a friend has recently found out this isn't as black and white as it sounds, and there are some loop holes b) sue the vendor for breach of contract, as the house is not the same as detailed in the contract.

Ed
  • If they are three days away from completion contracts will have already been exchanged and it is the responsibility of the buyer to have arranged insurance. As such there is no reason not to come clean as the buyer is legally committed to complete and can claim off their insurance policy.
  • melb2902
    melb2902 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Well, I think if they have made friends with the couple, then out of politeness it might be nice to mention it - even if exchange has taken place. Then they can offer to plaster it as a temporary solution so that when the new couple move in it is not something that needs immeadite attention whilst they get unpacked.
    Hopefully, a friendship and clear concience would still remain as an effort would have been made to clear it up.
  • RHK_2
    RHK_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    It's not their problem if the new owners had a survey, the surveyor is liable and insured in case this sort of thing happens, the surveyor's own insurer and the new couple's mortgage company will sort it out.
  • iamcscott
    iamcscott Posts: 6 Forumite
    this exact thing happened to me when buying our first home, luckily for us the past owners got builders round to fix the roof and left us to deal with making it look nice, but thank god they did!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure