Anyone with a 25 year endowment which matured recently ?

Comments

• mjt42
    mjt42 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 18 May 2014 at 3:56AM
    my 25 year endowment with phoenix (royal and sun alliance) is due out in june 2014. i have been in touch with them ensuring everything is in place with them and i also asked what the payout including terminal bonus would be.
    the original target amount was £34000 which i have for a long time realised was just a pie in the sky figure. having had the red warning letters for most of the duration of the endowment i was expecting a figure around £25k - my chin nearly hit the floor when the lady at phoenix said it was going to be about £19600.
    i have asked in the past how the fund my money is in has performed and was told (and they confirmed in writing) previously that it was averaging approx 7.2%. i asked again if they could confirm this in writing and i today received a letter confirming the 7.2% growth.
    i fully understand how an endowment works - the 7.2% growth isn't applied to my fund but annual bonuses are based on the performance of the fund and added to the guaranteed sum assured. annual bonuses are hideously low and this is 'justified' by saying this is to provide a smoothing when things arent doing so well and the small bonuses will be compensated in the terminal bonus.

i work out that a payout of £19600 on a monthly payment of £49 over 25 years works out at about 2.5% pa interest.
    if the underlying performance of the fund is averaging 7.2% this works out at just over £40000. therefore, the final amount quoted is far from a fair sum.

i understand that an endowment has the life insurance element and there are managing fees to be paid but it seems to me that i have been sold short here. i have paid over £14000 in deposits and will be getting an extra £5000 in anual bonuses and terminal bonus while phoenix will be pocketing the other £21000!!

i don't consider that i was miss-sold an endowment nor do i have an underperforming investment tool - just the way it has been shared out is massively unfair.

i will be writing a formal letter of complaint to phoenix and hope i can follow it up with a complaint to fsa or the financial services ombudsman as i'm sure phoenix will not be forthcoming with a satisfactory explanation.

if anybody as any sugestions as to action i can take, i am all ears!!

thanks for listening!!
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Poor investment performance isn't grounds for a complaint that will achieve anything.

Have you asked them (1) does the projected maturity value include terminal bonus and (2) what is the level of terminal bonus on 25 year policies maturing today?
  • mjt42
    mjt42 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Poor investment performance isn't grounds for a complaint that will achieve anything.

Have you asked them (1) does the projected maturity value include terminal bonus and (2) what is the level of terminal bonus on 25 year policies maturing today?

yes on both counts. current terminal bonus rate about 30% of guaranteed sum.

i dont think 7.2% is poor investment performance!!

my gripe is they tell me the fund has grown at a rate of 7.2% and give me a return of 2.5%. is this a normal share of the growth by other endowment providers?

thanks for your reply.
  • TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the quoted average return is on an 'arithmetic' basis (ie add up all the individual annual returns over the term and divide by the total number of years). This will have the effect of underplaying the impact of market falls (particularly crashes) and overstating the impact of market gains following the crashes thus leading to a higher 'average'.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    i dont think 7.2% is poor investment performance!!

my gripe is they tell me the fund has grown at a rate of 7.2% and give me a return of 2.5%. is this a normal share of the growth by other endowment providers?

7.2% gross. Take off the charges. Take off the cost of life assurance then factor in the smoothing and weighting (how much did you pay in before a market crash compared to after).

Then you need to split it across the annual bonus and the final bonus. You cannot look at the annual bonus alone. The increasing of solvency requirements post dot.com crash meant that most insurers cut the annual bonus right down but transferred gains from the more volatile parts of the portfolio to the final bonus.
    i will be writing a formal letter of complaint to phoenix and hope i can follow it up with a complaint to fsa or the financial services ombudsman as i'm sure phoenix will not be forthcoming with a satisfactory explanation.

The FSA doesnt exist any more and never handled consumer complaints (nor does its replacement). It also does not require companies to address complaints about performance.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    just received L&G bonus statement (matures 1/14)
    terminal bonus (not g'teed), up from 62% last year, to 82%.
    Fingers crossed x
  • Hi caseywhite

I would be interested to know the results of your Royal London Policy. I have one that also matures in December 2013 which I took out in 1989.

I did have a Policy on track green letter and I have called them to ask about a terminal bonus. They said that its not guaranteed but they do normally pay one out. I also have been told its a low start endowment and not a unitised plan. Hoping I get a bit more than the target amount of £40K :D

Hello again everyone.
    I phoned Royal london yesterday i was told (but not guaranteed) that i may get £40,000. The woman said it could go up or it could go down. My premium was £81 a month.
  • Oops meant to say the lady i spoke to yesterday said i SHOULD get more than 40,000, but i'm not counting my chickens yet.
  • Dick_here
    Dick_here Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 July 2014 at 8:44AM
    CIS Ltd (Co-operative)
    £80.30 pm 25 year
    Sum Assured / Target Amount £50k
    Original bonus earning sum £21k
    Promised maturity value for July £45k
    Overall I'm reasonably satisfied, all things considered :)

Final payout £45,700 :)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • I have just had a Prudential endowment mature (not as much as first thought, but we all knew it was coming). A month to run they wrote to me to say how much I was getting and how I wanted it paying. I opted for it to be paid directly to my Nationwide mortgage account, I would put in the difference. I phone Nationwide today to see if it is there. They can see my payment that I sent electronically, but not Prudential's payment. I then phone Prudential who say a cheque (no doubt written by quill and ink) is being sent by snail mail to Nationwide and it will then require 3-5 working days to clear.
    Are we not in the 21st century I ask, why can't it be done electronically? Their reply was that is what they do! I said I thought it was just a ploy to keep MY money in their account for an extra 10 days. Times that by however many other policies, a nice little earner.
    Does anyone else agree or am I missing something.
    OUTRAGED :mad:
    Complaint logged
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport