Real life MMD: Too late to claim for wedding cheque?

Comments

• Tiptaker
    Tiptaker Posts: 41 Forumite
    There is another angle - if the giver keeps an eye on their bank account they might wonder why the cheque wasn't cashed. Are you in constant contact or is this someone you don't see very much of. Or were you in contact 3 years ago and are now wondering why they don't contact you - perhaps they were upset by your rejection of their gift?
  • Your friend would have known that you did not bank the cheque, and if they did not mention this fact to you I would say that it's much to late to go and ask them for a updated cheque as their personal circumstances could have changed in 3 years, that you may be unaware of. Put this down to an experience you can learn from.
  • lynettec1 wrote: »
    Your friend would have known that you did not bank the cheque, and if they did not mention this fact to you I would say that it's much to late to go and ask them for a updated cheque as their personal circumstances could have changed in 3 years, that you may be unaware of. Put this down to an experience you can learn from.

This is by no means certain, many many people don't keep close tabs on their finances, the giver may never have noticed.
  • Unless people are really laxed they would keep an eye on cheques to this value, I know everything that comes out of my account and what and when was paid out and should be in.
  • katemoz
    katemoz Posts: 159 Forumite
    No. It's 100% your fault that you forgot to cash it. Your friend is not responsible for informing you of that fact.
  • I would agree that you cannot outright ask for the money after all this time. But it is worth casually mention it for the amusement aspect. Like previous posters have said you never know they might just decide to give you something else instead :)
  • cazpost
    cazpost Posts: 109 Forumite
    I think you should frame it,and hang it somewhere prominent as a permanent reminder of your own idiocy. How can you get a present of such high value,and immediately forget what you have done with it ? As for asking for the money, I wouldn't even think about it .
  • pinkclouds
    pinkclouds Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    I think you should consider writing to apologise for not cashing the cheque and not acknowledging the gift. You should not ask for nor expect a replacement (unless the friend insists in a way that cannot be refused). They may actually be offended that their cheque wasn't cashed - some people are.

Alternatively, if you're sure they will not have noticed whether the cheque was cashed or not, then just ignore it. Raising the issue after so much time has passed may not benefit anyone.
  • MrsWassire wrote: »
    I'd send it back with a nice thank you card, telling them the story and that you greatly appreciate their generosity and thought they should have it back so they could shred it etc. That way, if they still want to give you the money it opens the door but without a hint of you asking for it.

Are you crazy? That seems like a massive hint to me and just really cheeky. As has been pointed out, the person probably didn't write a thank you 3 YEARS ago - otherwise they would have noticed it then.

Don't send it back for them to shred. Just bin it yourself and don't bring it up again. It is your fault you didn't cash it - not theirs and they shouldn't feel pressured to give you that again 3 years down the line.
  • I would try to find a way of letting them know why you didn't cash it - otherwise they might be thinking you were really ungrateful. I wouldn't ask for a replacement cheque though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure