To parents -Would you want to know?

Comments

• Youdontseeme
    Youdontseeme Posts: 449 Forumite
    I have to admit that the extra isnt often as much as it should be but even if its only a tenner I try and make sure I pay something extra.

I also have a 800 quid over draft which I cant see a space for on the form, this cost me £5 a month if I use it and yes I always use it.
    I wish I would take my own advice!
  • MyLastFiver
    MyLastFiver Posts: 853 Forumite
    Hmm. Looks like you struggle for a bit less than a year and then it works out for you. With the surplus you have, you are doing the right thing putting it to the A&L card. At a guess you can be rid of that card in 6 to 9 months, which leaves you 300 spare each month. The egg loan goes in a year from now, leaving you 450 spare. This will see the egg cc gone in another year, even if you ease up on yourself by taking pocket money of £150.

All true. Personally, however, if I had a way of avoiding paying all that interest on the A&L card, I would do it. It's dead money. Perhaps the OP could ask his parents just for the money for the A&L card.
    My Debt Free Diary I owe:
    July 16 £19700 Nov 16 £18002
    Aug 16 £19519 Dec 16 £17708
    Sep 16 £18780 Jan 17 £17082
    Oct 16 £17873
  • Lula-Hula
    Lula-Hula Posts: 7,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi & welcome to the wonderful world of DFW where you will find amazing ways of saving money, makin extra money & get loads of support & encouragement.

I think you have done so well to clear a lot of your debt & you probably feel a bit low when you realise you still have along way to go.

To answer your original question : as a parent I would definitely want to know.

I've been on here for a while now & about a year ago (after many months of suspicions) I discovered that my eldest DD was in shed loads of debt. Obviously I'm not in a position to clear her debts, & frankly I'm not sure that I would just pay it off even if I was - in the same way that I wouldnt do her GCSE coursework for her. She needed to learn the basics of budgeting as I have had to, & more importantly, the reasons why she accrued so much debt in the first place - keeping up with others who had more disposable income.

On the other hand I am glad that I do know about her situation as she no longer feels any pressure to attend expensive family events & whereas she used to feel obliged to give expensive gifts to everyone, I've managed to convince her that it really isnt necessary. She is much better at managing her finances now & although I do occasionally have to sub her for groceries or travel costs until payday, she always insists on paying it back as soon as possible.

Apart from your contents insurance, your SOA looks pretty good. I assume that you are aware of Quidco which offers cashback for many many things ;eg my contents insurance for the year was £30 & I received £19 cashback :D.

Another way to earn some extra is to do online surveys; you can be paid in vouchers or some offer PayPal.

The Old Style money saving board is chockablock of tips for saving money on groceries.

I would pour all spare cash towards the A&L as it's the highest interest debt, & when that's gone you will feel great satisfaction at havig obliterated that & can then move on to doing the same to the others.

You can do this & while it's probably a good idea to confide in your mother as she's already worried about you, I agree with others that involving family in your finances could lead to awkward feelings & may not do your feelings of self worth much good if you already feel that your sister is more of an achiever. You should feel very proud of what you have already achieved & I expect your parents will really respect you for that too.

Best wishes

Lula
    xx
  • UnderPressure
    UnderPressure Posts: 3,204 Forumite
    I still think under the circumstances of OPs mum imagining allsorts that OP should at least come clean with her, she must be worrying herself stupid especially with you being so far away from home too, and with you wanting to move back closer to home they may be even more keen to lend a hand.

Well done on getting this far but I still stand by what I said earlier as a parent I would be hurt if 1 of my children found it difficult to approach me with such problems, there is no need for you to go through this on your own :)
    "You can measure a man's character by the choices he makes under pressure"
    Sir Winston Churchill
  • Youdontseeme
    Hi

Thanks for your comments I live in a pretty dodgy area hence the insurance.

I have recently starting using Quidco especially as I book a lot of flights at work so that is building up slowly.

I have tried to get the grocerys down a bit but I always seem to go back to this level I have had £50/60 months and after the initial fun of trying to do it I am going crazy after 2 weeks. At this level I eat ok.

I know I need to tell my Mum even if it is just to get it off my chest (and so she knows what's wrong with me!) I will not ask them for the money but if they did offer I would find it difficult to say no.

I am seeing them this week for the first time since Christmas and although a family wedding probably isn't the best setting I WILL get it of my chest!.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice, I don't feel like I am going quite so mad now.

YDSM
  • thesim
    thesim Posts: 411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Quick question, in regards to your rent..any way you can downsize the place you rent? I know you live in London but I do see some places going for £500-£700 per month inclusive.

Might be worth looking at your bundle tv, phone & internet, I'm sure I've seen it advertised for lower with some companies but not sure which?
  • moneypenny2k
    moneypenny2k Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hiya, I can't really improve on the advice you've been given. All I'd like to add is that if you were my child (and I do have one about your age) I'd be incredibly proud that you'd done so much to sort your problem without recourse to the bank of mum and dad and I'd be more than willing to help you.

We hear too much about kids who just shrug their shoulders and say never mind Mum'll sort it out. If you were mine I'd be very proud of you.
    000201C1.gif You deserve them

sig.asp?img=ad1
  • pennypusher
    pennypusher Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi I see your rent is £700 per month, can you have someone share with you or would it possible for you to move into a house with others to bring the cost down.
    If you are in a one bed flat £40 per month for electricity is quite high, do you turn everything off and not leave things on standby. Turn the hot water down a notch maybe.
    Groceries I think could come down quite a lot - try going over to the old style board there are lots of ways to spend less on food. Make sure you take packed lunches to work with you. Have you shopped round for the cheapest insurance - go to gocompare or a similar site and find the cheapest for your area.
    Can you do a transfer from your A & L onto one of your other cc's, that would reduce the amount of interest you pay.

Hope these ideas help.
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Again as a Mum, and knowing your Mum is worried, you do need to tell her at least why you are so anti-social atm.

They will be hurt by you not telling them, and by lying if only by omission of not telling them before. If you need "happy pills" then some parental support (not just financial) would not hurt.
    DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • Youdontseeme
    Hi

I have thought about sharing but to be honest I left home at 17 and apart from a rather bad experience of 6 months I have always lived on my own, I think other people would do my head in if I am honest. I will look to see if I can find something cheaper.

The £40 is on a prepay key meter type thing I top it up every month then every couple of months I let it run down and have a month or 6 weeks off (usually it coincides with the need for a haircut or shoes etc. and I do mean need I do not buy for the sake of it any more!)

My insurance was the cheapest I could find, I think the whole thing is a bloody rip off but knowing my luck if I stopped it something awful would happen.

I have tried to move the money from my A&L but Egg have stopped loans and wont add to my card which they have also stopped even though I have I never missed a payment, been late etc.. I was one of those who didn't get renewed a while back.

And thank you for the hugs and kisses (and your very kind words) moneypenny2K I needed them today!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport