PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Around the World in 80 dinner parties - Ideas please.

Comments

• Hiya,

If you fancy going greek on a budget i'd suggest:

Starter - tzadziki and pittas (grate cucumber and put in a seive with salt. finely crush garlic and chop mint. mix 3 together with yoghurt - as close to dinner as possible) warm pittas under the grill and slice into inch side strips

Stiffado - use stewing beef in the slow cooker with small onions. heavy on the cinnamon and cumin ;)

Dessert - Galaktobourito - essentially egg custard baked between layers of filo pastry in a traybake style. then cut into diamond shapes. PM me for a recipe

Its all fairly cheap.

The other option is to go meze. Make the tzadziki, buy tinned dolmades and gigantes from aldi. make lemon, garlic, oregano chicken kebabs. serve with pittas and a greek salad

PGxx
  • Another thought, if you can get Nigella's Feast from your library, her Georgian menu looks lovely and cheap :)
  • Starla
    Starla Posts: 281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not really anything new, but here's a really nice fajita recipe: http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1739,159171-255193,00.html and if you substitute cayenne for the crushed red pepper then the ingredients will probably all be in your store cupboard :)

Antarctica - just serve lots of ice cream :P
    Pushing the pennies around to try and make pounds...
    2021 1p challenge complete; Tilly Tidy £875.44
  • Oooo what a fab post!! I think I'm going to try one of these recipies and have a themed night myself each week.. How great!

http://recipes.wuzzle.org/ I'm sure there are loads of sites on the net but here's one with loads on offer :D
    I am a Travel Agent

My company’s ATOL/ABTA numbers are L318X. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. ATOL numbers can be checked with the Civil Aviation Authority. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
  • Fried Hallumi Cheese makes a great Greek starter. Slice it, coat in in flour and fry in olive oil till golden brown. Serve with salad and a vinegrette dressing.
  • travellady wrote: »
    http://recipes.wuzzle.org/ I'm sure there are loads of sites on the net but here's one with loads on offer :D

Thanks TravelLady, great site. :)
    Take the first step.
    Even if you cannot see the whole staircase,
    Just take the first step.
    ~MLK, Jr~
  • Magpie.
    Magpie. Posts: 125 Forumite
    What a brilliant idea I love it. Will be interesting as you carry on with it and the obvious choices go.

Love the sound of the chorizo pasta too!
  • American - Chicken in barbecue sauce, mash pots or sweet pots, green beans, corn on cob, new york cheesecake

South american - goes down well with kids - Jambalaya - par cooked rice added to a stir fry mix of onions, garlic, peppers, celery, chopped smoked sausage, can of toms squizzed. Added herbs are ground cumin, black pepper, salt and oregano and cook thru. Dessert could be a tropical fruit salad with condensed milk (sounds yuck but is real good) or try churros - doughnut mix fried as long sticks and dusted with icing or cinnamon icing.

Caribbean: try indian caribbean cooking - doubles - chickpea stew and fresh chutneys sandwiched between two puris or curry roti - thick meat or veg curry wrapped in a giant wrap with fresh chutney. Serve with mango or tropical juice and finish with fresh fruit salad.
  • Hi, St Davids day is in March - a Welsh meal perhaps? Some suggestions below.

To start: Welsh rarebit (cheese on toast!)

Main: Lamb; leek and chicken hotpot, cawl (made with neck of lamb or bacon)

Dessert: bara brith, welsh cakes
  • debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    How about dutch

ERWTENSOEP

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups split green peas
    3 quarts cold water
    1 pig's foot (or ham bones)
    4 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into squares
    4 frankfurters (use your favorite sausage)
    1 pound potatoes
    1 celeriac, diced
    1 cup celery, chopped
    2 leeks, well washed and chopped
    2 onions

INSTRUCTIONS:

Wash the peas, soak them for 12 hours (unless you use quick cooking peas),
    and boil gently in the water they were soaked in for at least 2 hours.
    Cook in this liquid the pig's foot, and bacon for at least 1 hour.
    Add the sliced potatoes, salt, celeriac, leeks and celery; cook until everything tests done and the soup is smooth and thick. Add the sausage during the last 10 minutes. The longer the soup simmers,
    the better the flavor. Three hours is usual. The soup thickens
    -so much it can almost be cut - as it cools.

HACHEE

INGREDIENTS

2 large onions, sliced thinly
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 cup margarine
    2 cups stock
    3 bay leaves
    5 cloves
    1 tablesp. vinegar
    1/2 lb sliced beef
    2 tablesp. cornstarch
    pepper
    Worcestershire/soya sauce

INSTRUCTIONS:

Brown the onions. Add the stock gradually. Mix bit of stock with the
    flour to make smooth. Mix with stock, stirring all the time.
    Add bay leaves and cloves. Simmer for 5 min with lid on the pan.
    Add vinegar and the meat. Simmer for approx 1 hour.
    Mix cornstarch with little bit of water, add to stew to thicken
    sauce.Simmer another 5 more min, keep on stirring. Serve with mashed potatoes rice or noodles.

APPELTAART

INGREDIENTS:

*pastry
    5 Apples
    1 tbsp Flour
    1 c Sugar
    1/4 tsp Nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    2 tsp Butter

INSTRUCTIONS:

Line a deep dish with pastry.
    Sprinkle the flour and cup the cup sugar on bottom of the crust.
    Peel and quarter the apples and place cut side down.
    Cover with the balance of the sugar, dot with the butter
    and sprinkle with nutmeg & cinnamon.
    Bake at 350-F about 35 minutes or until apples are baked and rich syrup has formed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure