MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Howard and Marion replace Richie’s tenner?

Options
MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Howard and Marion replace Richie’s tenner?

Howard and Marion’s 11-year-old son, Richie, loses a £10 note after stuffing it into the back pocket of his jeans. He’s not actually sure whether it was lost or pick pocketed, but it wasn’t there when he got home. Dad Howard thinks they should reimburse Richie, because he’s only 11, and it would be cruel to deprive him of his pocket money. Yet mum Marion argues that they shouldn’t replace the cash. She says it’s a chance for Richie to learn an important lesson about life; sometimes bad stuff happens and no one’s going to pick up the pieces for you. Should Howard and Marion replace Richie’s tenner?
Click reply to have your say
Previous MMDs:

Should Vinnie chase the robbers?
[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    No way. The kid is old enough to start learning about the (unfortunate) importance of money in our lives. Let the loss of his tenner be a lesson for him to be more careful in the future. Learning the hard way is better than not learning at all. Tough luck, but that's life!
    :eek:
  • kyh
    kyh Posts: 278 Forumite
    Options
    No to replace it they are indicating they will always bail him out - but they could offer to let him earn some more money by doing some extra jobs around the house if that is how he earns his pocket money - eg well we won't replace the £10 but you could earn £5 if you wash Dad's car.
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Howard and Marion’s 11-year-old son, Richie, loses a £10 note after stuffing it into the back pocket of his jeans. He’s not actually sure whether it was lost or pick pocketed, but it wasn’t there when he got home. Dad Howard thinks they should reimburse Richie, because he’s only 11, and it would be cruel to deprive him of his pocket money. Yet mum Marion argues that they shouldn’t replace the cash. She says it’s a chance for Richie to learn an important lesson about life; sometimes bad stuff happens and no one’s going to pick up the pieces for you. Should Howard and Marion replace Richie’s tenner?
    ofcourse yes, poor thing - he is grieving for his lost precious £10 and learnt his lesson the moment he lost it and to have to bear with his mother's additional lessons is too much to ask for a 11 year old. I like to believe if you show that you trust your child, s/he'd work on living upto that expectation.
  • Scorpio_Brighton
    Options
    What's an 11-year-old doing with a £10 note anyway? I've rarely got that much pocket money myself! It would hurt to empathise with his dismay on realising it had gone, though, I've been in that sort of situation myself when young. I'm a softie, so I'd probably do a King Solomon, reimburse £5 and tell him to be more careful in future; but I'm not sure that's sending the right message. Life is hard and earning money is harder. The sooner he learns to look after it, the better.
  • Dylstardelux
    Options
    No.

They shouldn't.

It's immensly hard but he needs to learn to take care of his assets!
  • CrispyUK
    CrispyUK Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps they should buy him a wallet to help him keep his money a bit safer in future, rather than stuffing it into his back pocket.
  • stogiebear
    stogiebear Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    Give him the money but make him earn it.
  • Jostick
    Jostick Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Richie is only saying he lost the £10. He is a budding Money [strike]Saving[/strike] Making Expert!
    If Mum holds sway, hey ho, it was worth a try. If Dad coughs up; result! Richie will be able to go to either one whenever he runs a bit short! The added advantage to any siblings is that they will also receive handouts to make things "fair".
    The solutiom? Simple; fine Richie £10 for being so careless. We all have to pay for our mistakes!

Oh what!!!?? Think about it; what sort of parent do you wish you'd had? :kiss:
  • ktj
    ktj Posts: 272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As with most things in life, it will depend on circumstances, e.g. can the parent's afford it and most importantly the nature of the boy. Is he dizzy and disorganised - in which case do not replace as he needs to be taught to be more responsible; or is he careful, sensible and sensitive - in which case yes as he's only 11 and still learning about life. Certainly after a good talking to my son would be reimbursed.
  • toadhall
    toadhall Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    he would have to work for it but yes I would replace it, after I bought him a wallet lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure