PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Recorded Letter to Landlord - Then Visiting Landlord?

Hi all,

I hope you can help,

I have had an issue with a broken washing machine, which after the estate agent sent out a repairman - he confirmed it was over 20yrs old, couldn't be repaired and required a replacement.

Consequently, the estate agent have acted as the intermediary between me and the landlord and passed on the news but they have not heard anything back for over 9 weeks and because they apparently can't act without landlord's consent, the washing machine has remained broken.

My plan at the moment is to send a recorded letter to the landlord directly just so I can confirm he's signed for it and read the letter. Then if there is no response am I within my right to actually visit the landlord's address and ask for a response?

It would be good to know what you think the next steps should be and at what point any court action should take place,

Thanks all! :T

Gareth

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,468
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    What does your contract say re repairing/replacing appliances?
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Earnshaw24 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I hope you can help,

I have had an issue with a broken washing machine, which after the estate agent sent out a repairman - he confirmed it was over 20yrs old, couldn't be repaired and required a replacement.

Consequently, the estate agent have acted as the intermediary between me and the landlord and passed on the news but they have not heard anything back for over 9 weeks and because they apparently can't act without landlord's consent, the washing machine has remained broken.

My plan at the moment is to send a recorded letter to the landlord directly just so I can confirm he's signed for it and read the letter. Then if there is no response am I within my right to actually visit the landlord's address and ask for a response?

It would be good to know what you think the next steps should be and at what point any court action should take place,

Thanks all! :T

Gareth

First thing's first. Is your landlord actually required to repair or replace the washing machine? Does your tenancy agreement state that your landlord is responsible for the washing machine? Is it an integrated appliance?

Assuming this is in England or Wales you might be surprised at how few repairing obligations the landlord actually has.

See G_M's guide to Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new tenant protection (2015)
  • Earnshaw24
    Earnshaw24 Posts: 10
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for your reply,

I can confirm the landlord is responsible in the agreement for appliances including the washing machine, this has also been confirmed by estate agent.
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Thanks for your reply,

I can confirm the landlord is responsible in the agreement for appliances including the washing machine, this has also been confirmed by estate agent.

Why are you trusting anything to the estate agent? The only thing that matters is your contract. Get it out. Read it. What does it state about the landlord's responsibilities.

I can imagine turning up on the LL's doorstep is going to find you on the receiving end of a S.21 pretty soon after.
  • Pixie5740
    Forumite
    There's certainty no harm in sending a letter to your landlord, quoting the part of the tenancy agreement that makes him responsible for repairing or replacing the washing machine, and asking for an update on when this will happen. You could even put forward the suggestion of purchasing a new machine yourself (within a certain budget) and deducting the money from your next rent payment however don't do this until you have written confirmation from your landlord that it's ok or you will end up in arrears.

Turning up to your landlord's house will achieve nothing other than making you look like a creepy weirdo.
  • Earnshaw24
    Earnshaw24 Posts: 10
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 11 May 2018 at 11:12AM
    "Subject to the Landlord's obligations in Clause 4, to ensure all electrical, gas and other appliances and apparatus including any television set or radio are kept in good working order and to pay for the repair or replacement which may be required during the Tenancy Agreement (apart from wear and tear) due to the negligence or ill treatment of the tenant, his family visitors or his contractors."

"Landlord - To take reasonable steps to ensure that the Landlord's domestic gas and electrical appliances and other similar mechanical appliances in the Property for which he is responsible are safe, in proper working order, and in repair both a the commencement of and during the Tenancy Agreement."

The washing machine worked three times in the first month of moving in before it stopped working.
  • Pixie5740
    Forumite
    "Subject to the Landlord's obligations in Clause 4, to ensure all electrical, gas and other appliances and apparatus including any television set or radio are kept in good working order and to pay for the repair or replacement which may be required during the Tenancy Agreement (apart from wear and tear) due to the negligence or ill treatment of the tenant, his family visitors or his contractors."

"Landlord - To take reasonable steps to ensure that the Landlord's domestic gas and electrical appliances and other similar mechanical appliances in the Property for which he is responsible are safe, in proper working order, and in repair both a the commencement of and during the Tenancy Agreement."

The washing machine worked three times in the first month of moving in before it stopped working.

Is it just me or does that first quoted clause make no sense? To me it reads as if the landlord will only repair or replace an appliance if the tenant (or the tenant's visitors and contractors) are negligent or if the tenant, tenant's visitors and contractors have been ill-treated (by whom?) but the appliance won't be repaired or replaced if it fails due to wear and tear.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,453
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You would be best to follow Shelter's advice here including using their draft letter: If not sorted you inform landlord you will be involving council.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/how_to_report_repairs_to_a_private_landlord

Don't use recorded - he can decline to sign/accept: Better to post with a **free** "Proof of postage".
  • You would be best to follow Shelter's advice here including using their draft letter: If not sorted you inform landlord you will be involving council.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/how_to_report_repairs_to_a_private_landlord

Don't use recorded - he can decline to sign/accept: Better to post with a **free** "Proof of postage".

Sure I've read that if you send this way from 2 different post offices its considered to have been received
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,861
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does that first quoted clause make no sense? To me it reads as if the landlord will only repair or replace an appliance if the tenant (or the tenant's visitors and contractors) are negligent or if the tenant, tenant's visitors and contractors have been ill-treated (by whom?) but the appliance won't be repaired or replaced if it fails due to wear and tear.

To me it reads that the whole paragraph refers to tenant's obligations other than those that fall under clause 4 or are caused by wear and tear..
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure