IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Solicitor's letter from Gladstone

Options
Can I ask for your advice.

I have received a letter from Gladstones Solicitors asking for £140. I parked in a parking space that required a permit in May 2018. I appealed this originally because I left a sign that I was parking due to work taking place in the building that the car park belonged to. I stated why I was there, the people I was working for and the date on a note and left it on my windscreen.

I have full range of photos received from Gladstones, which clearly shows the above.

I recognise that this is an invoice and not a fine, but I also feel that the reasons for refusing my appeal is not in good faith. I would like to challenge it but I am not sure if I can afford an expensive court case. I also feel the privatisation of parking spaces a complete disaster and one of the activities that needs to be removed completely.

Any advice about what to expect, how to respond, what will happen in court if it gets there.

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is the letter headed "Letter before claim" or is it asking you pay a third party

Gladstones are scammers and you do not owe £140
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I doubt that Gladrags even sent it

Probably DRPL sent it on headed paper , a pimped out letterhead
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 20 November 2019 at 3:12PM
    Options
    I am not sure if I can afford an expensive court case.
    What do you mean you ''can't afford'' a court case that even if you lost, might 'cost' you about £150? Where do you get the idea of expense for defending a small claim?

If (as the inflated 3 figure sum you mention suggests) the PCN was originally £70 or £80 then even a losing Defendant would only pay about £150 (all told) if they defended it with our help.

And only the odd one or two are reported as lost, about 1% - it is very rare on this forum. And we don't cause people any risk (financially or to their credit rating) you know, when we help everyone defend! It really is a no-brainer.

What to expect with a simple small claim, is in post #2 of the NEWBIES thread.

What letter have you got (heading please, and who does it say to pay?) and which parking firm?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure