krakow

Options

Comments

• longforgotten
    Options
    We went to Krakow for the Christmas market and when we arranged the visit to the Salt mines not many people went. I remember some steps but we also went in lift. The lift was very small but thankfully it did not bother me. It sounds as though the visit may have been very different if it was at a busy time of year.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We went to Krakow for the Christmas market and when we arranged the visit to the Salt mines not many people went. I remember some steps but we also went in lift. The lift was very small but thankfully it did not bother me. It sounds as though the visit may have been very different if it was at a busy time of year.

Yes we went in July and it was heaving. In Auschwitz there was even water mist sprays to cool the queuing visitors down, just like Disney theme parks.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

We went at about this time of the year so slightly too early for Christmas Markets and so missed all the big crowds.

I think the salt mines are worth a visit. It's all steps on the way down but back up in the lift.
  • sheilavw
    sheilavw Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your helpful advice. I definitely want to do a mini break next year. Any hotel recommendations? seems to be lots of local flights which is good
  • Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.booking.com/hotel/pl/wit-stwosz-krakow.en-gb.html
    Great location. Really nice hotel. Would stay there again!
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sheilavw wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your helpful advice. I definitely want to do a mini break next year. Any hotel recommendations? seems to be lots of local flights which is good

We stayed in the Novotel Krakow only 20 minutes from the city centre, really nice hotel but restaurant expensive ( food not included at this stop on our Eastern European tour).
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We stayed in the Hotel Kossak. We were fortunate to have a room with a view overlooking the river and castle. Probably a 10 minute walk from the centre or a tram if you prefer.
  • vegasvisitor
    Options
    We went last year or the year before, early December. Took the train from the airport, and we stayed in the Mercure just outside the old town. It was opposite a mall too, if you want to get indoors and stay warm for an hour or two. We loved it, and really liked the hotel. Breakfast was lovely and the bar was also nice in the evening. Rooms were nice and modern. We didn't do salt mines or Auschwitz, but did go to the Oskar Schindler factory.

We're going to Warsaw this year to try somewhere different. Hope it's also good.
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you do the salt mine, do the miners route.

I did both - the miners and tourist route and enjoyed the miners more.

As for hotel, I stayed at 'anders by vienna' which is in city centre and right by main station. However, I got a really good deal on that (would be expensive otherwise). Or look for accommodation near anders by Vienna as most attractions is walkable from there.
  • Moe_The_Bartender
    Moe_The_Bartender Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 November 2019 at 8:33AM
    Options
    I don't normally do guided tours but made an exception for Auschwitz. I booked tickets on the day at the tourist information office in the main square and it was first class. This was in January and pretty chilly so be sure to wrap up warm as you spend a lot of time outside at Birkenau.

You have no choice but to do a guided tour at the salt mines. Just show up and get your tickets on the day making sure that you get an English guide. We had an excellent guide who was as camp as a row of tents but extremely amusing.

Our accommodation was an Airbnb just outside the main square and very economical because of the time of year.

The Christmas markets in Poland are open until the 6th January and they don't take the decorations down until the Feast of the Purification on the 2nd February so it's very colourful. I've taken a few breaks in Poland and love it.
    The fascists of the future will call themselves anti-fascists.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure