Options

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    KelBrookes wrote: »
    Good morning.

We are due to fly to Zante tomorrow morning. As this is a DIY package, out outbound flight is booked with Tui however our return flight was booked with Thomas Cook. We are unsure what to do. Please help :(

Firstly check what "booked with Thomas Cook" actually means. Were you flying on a Thomas Cook airplane? or did you book it through Thomas Cook but your flight is actually with someone else? If the latter see if you can log in to your booking on that airline's website. It may already been ticketed and paid for and you could be fine/

If it was a TC flight, my first instinct would be to save your holiday and try and find alternative flights home. Consider other airlines or a change of plane en route.

Who did you book through, is there a chance you would be atol protected>? If not did you pay by credit card and could initiate a chargeback. As this is a DIY package you are unlikely to obtain a refund of the outward flight or hotel, unless the providers are sympathetic, so my instinct would be to take the holiday.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • bradders1983
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Firstly check what "booked with Thomas Cook" actually means. Were you flying on a Thomas Cook airplane? or did you book it through Thomas Cook but your flight is actually with someone else? If the latter see if you can log in to your booking on that airline's website. It may already been ticketed and paid for and you could be fine/

If it was a TC flight, my first instinct would be to save your holiday and try and find alternative flights home. Consider other airlines or a change of plane en route.

Who did you book through, is there a chance you would be atol protected>? If not did you pay by credit card and could initiate a chargeback. As this is a DIY package you are unlikely to obtain a refund of the outward flight or hotel, unless the providers are sympathetic, so my instinct would be to take the holiday.

I took this to assume they booked flight only (one way) through the Thomas Cook Airlines website.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I took this to assume they booked flight only (one way) through the Thomas Cook Airlines website.

I read it the same.

Strangely - and not what this repatriation scheme is intended for, I actually think you will be able to utilise the CAA repatriation flight on 5th October. I think you have found a quirk in the system.

The CAA will only see Kelbrookes listed for the Zante - TCX/MT flight. They will not know anything about your UK - Zante TOM flight or how long you have been in Zante. I suspect however if you call and tell them of your situation they will possibly tell you not to travel out to Zante.

Your return flight would be given -72h before your departure from Zante here - https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/customers/if-you-are-currently-abroad/guidance-by-destination/greece/zakynthos-zth/

My feeling is you would be OK and I would probably take the risk and gamble if it was me. Your decision however and this of course depends on your propensity to risk.
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    edited 26 September 2019 at 11:48AM
    Options
    Westin wrote: »
    I read it the same.

Strangely - and not what this repatriation scheme is intended for, I actually think you will be able to utilise the CAA repatriation flight on 5th October. I think you have found a quirk in the system.

The CAA will only see Kelbrookes listed for the Zante - TCX/MT flight. They will not know anything about your UK - Zante TOM flight or how long you have been in Zante. I suspect however if you call and tell them of your situation they will possibly tell you not to travel out to Zante.

Your return flight would be given -72h before your departure from Zante here - https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/customers/if-you-are-currently-abroad/guidance-by-destination/greece/zakynthos-zth/

My feeling is you would be OK and I would probably take the risk and gamble if it was me. Your decision however and this of course depends on your propensity to risk.

On https://thomascook.caa.co.uk, "If you choose to book a new flight with another airline out of the UK, you will not be eligible for a repatriation flight."

I would say that also applies to people who are booked outbound on another airline already. Remember the CAA repatriations are only for people already abroad when TC went under. As you have not flown yet I would find an alternative flight home for your own peace of mind if nothing else.

Just found this on the main MSE website:

"If I now fly out on a separate airline, can I still be repatriated later?

If you're still in the UK and were due to go holiday soon, flying out on a non-Thomas Cook airline but back on Thomas Cook Airlines, bear in mind that if you choose to still travel on the outbound flight, you WON'T then be eligible for a repatriation flight.

The CAA says anyone who is in the UK currently and puts themselves in the situation where they need repatriating won't be eligible for one of its rescue flights, and will need to sort their own transport home."

Hope that helps.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    N4t4lie wrote: »
    On https://thomascook.caa.co.uk, "If you choose to book a new flight with another airline out of the UK, you will not be eligible for a repatriation flight."

I would say that also applies to people who are booked outbound on another airline already. Remember the CAA repatriations are only for people already abroad when TC went under. As you have not flown yet I would find an alternative flight home for your own peace of mind if nothing else.

Just found this on the main MSE website:

"If I now fly out on a separate airline, can I still be repatriated later?

If you're still in the UK and were due to go holiday soon, flying out on a non-Thomas Cook airline but back on Thomas Cook Airlines, bear in mind that if you choose to still travel on the outbound flight, you WON'T then be eligible for a repatriation flight.

The CAA says anyone who is in the UK currently and puts themselves in the situation where they need repatriating won't be eligible for one of its rescue flights, and will need to sort their own transport home."

Hope that helps.

Clearly the rules are clear, repatriation is for those who were already overseas when TC collapsed. Westin suggests, and I agree, that the CAA will only have a list of people due to be passengers on a TC flight. They may be aware of who was due to fly out on a TC flight after the collapse and can cross those names off the list, but they won't have a list of who travelled by other means or when they travelled. Remember that to some locations people may have travelled by cruise, ferry, train or coach and the CAA aren't trawling through those lists. I suppose one option is to phone and just say you will need repatriating as you were booked on a TC flight, without mentioning your current location and see what they say.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    trev1865 wrote: »
    my spanish bank demands thomas cook prove they didnt provide the service i paid for or they wont reimburse so i do need to speak to them

This happened to a few people when Monarch went under. Keep calling till you can talk to someone that can help you is my advice, quite often the first person you talk to is just following a procedure that does not really cover insolvency. In other cases where 'proof' has been requested, the statement on the website has been enough to prove you cannot use the good you paid for.

One question, did you book direct with Thomas Cook as you have not given many details here? If you did not then maybe you could get a letter from the intermediary you booked it through saying you cannot use the flight?

Hope that helps.
  • Buggalugs07
    Options
    I'm £4k in the hole with flights only, booked direct on Thomas Cooks website in May for a family holiday next year. I have travel insurance, but as there is a £150pp excess, I'd lose £600 pursuing that method of reimbursement.

As the flights were booked on my Amex credit card, am I better off forgetting about claiming on my travel insurance and simply holding out for what would presumably be a full credit from Amex? I have made initial enquiries to both and travel insurance are ready to proceed, but Amex say resolution can take 6-8 weeks with them.

Feel I'm in limbo as I don't want to lose out on £600 by settling for that method, when I can wait a bit longer and get the full amount. Just feel vulnerable in case Amex turn round in 8 weeks time and say my claim's been unsuccessful, leaving it too late to pick up the travel insurance claim...
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    I'm £4k in the hole with flights only, booked direct on Thomas Cooks website in May for a family holiday next year. I have travel insurance, but as there is a £150pp excess, I'd lose £600 pursuing that method of reimbursement.

As the flights were booked on my AMEX credit card, am I better off forgetting about claiming on my travel insurance and simply holding out for what would presumably be a full credit from Amex? I have made initial enquiries to both and travel insurance are ready to proceed, but Amex say resolution can take 6-8 weeks with them.

Feel I'm in limbo as I don't want to lose out on £600 by settling for that method, when I can wait a bit longer and get the full amount. Just feel vulnerable in case Amex turn round in 8 weeks time and say my claim's been unsuccessful, leaving it too late to pick up the travel insurance claim...

If memory serves you have to approach your insurance company first and sadly that means respecting the policy excess. Now I am not sure if this will work but it is worth a try. AMEX are jointly liable under S75, so I would once the Insurance has confirmed payout and you have paperwork to prove you did not get back the full amount, go to AMEX and make a claim under S75 to reclaim the excess. Read up on Section 75 on the main MSE website so you know your rights.

Hope that helps, let us know if it works as it will help other people in future.
  • folkestonelisa
    Options
    Hi, I have a package booked for next Friday. EasyJet say I can still use my flights, but how do I get a refund for the accommodation as I’d have to rebook it.
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    Hi, I have a package booked for next Friday. EasyJet say I can still use my flights, but how do I get a refund for the accommodation as I’d have to rebook it.

Two possible ways:

1) Claim for the cost of the accommodation via ATOL.

2) If you paid on a card initiate a chargeback for the cost of the accommodation only with the card company (this will only be possible if you have a copy of the invoice that breaks down the individual costs of each element).

Both could take some time to process so be patient though. Also be aware the card company may just send you to ATOL in the first instance.

Can you contact the hotel direct to rebook? I had to do this when a holiday company went under and our flights were valid still. They were quite happy to have someone call them to confirm they still want the room and are happy to pay them for it rather than cancel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure