Royal Mail changes

Options
lots of rumours flying about just now but from multiple sources with the same basis.

Special delivery. RM will be removing the 1pm guarantee and making it a straight next day product. I'm told this is pretty much fact and will be coming in. no idea on 9am but assume it will stay.

RM is looking to drop a delivery day.
Either Saturday or Monday.

bets seem to be on removal of Saturday with an overhaul of the Saturday operation making a specific Saturday service slanted to parcels.
This is being touted as a when,not if situation.

Apparently the date for the review of the USO has been brought forward which would tie into this.

Thought the ebay group would be interested.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thank you custardy, interesting things to consider.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Seems strange to remove Special Delivery as it’s not only the guaranteed next day but also the insurance. I’m also told that SD is tracked at every point from the post office to the customers door.
  • soolin
    Options
    Seems strange to remove Special Delivery as it’s not only the guaranteed next day but also the insurance. I’m also told that SD is tracked at every point from the post office to the customers door.

I haven't seen any mention of removing special delivery entirely. Like Custardy says I can see them removing the 1pm guarantee purely because a lot of us now don't even see a post person until after that, so they would either have to send all specials out on a van or move all the delivery slots back to the morning again.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The question is will eBay adjust their delivery estimates to reflect the loss of a delivery day ?
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    lots of rumours flying about just now but from multiple sources with the same basis.

Special delivery. RM will be removing the 1pm guarantee and making it a straight next day product. I'm told this is pretty much fact and will be coming in. no idea on 9am but assume it will stay.

RM is looking to drop a delivery day.
    Either Saturday or Monday.

bets seem to be on removal of Saturday with an overhaul of the Saturday operation making a specific Saturday service slanted to parcels.
    This is being touted as a when,not if situation.

Apparently the date for the review of the USO has been brought forward which would tie into this.

Thought the ebay group would be interested.

With all the cost cutting measures and price hikes things must be tough at Royal Mail towers.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

As said. Its not about removing SD. more to give flexibility on the delivery time.
    The SD network is to remain.
    the 1pm time has been in for over 15 years(it was 12pm before). In that time delivery start times have got later and later with changes to the network getting later access times too.
    This allows at lot more flexibility for delivery offices plus likely allowing businesses to send SD items later.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My post has gone from 7am ish to 10am then anytime between 9 -12, like that for a couple of years then 1pm for 2 years and in the past year or so its been after 2pm.

Posted a parcel today and RM was actually cheaper than Hermes, unless i got my figures wrong. £50 item sub 1kg (about 8grams under) 2nd class signed for. £3.90
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    My postman seems to be coming later and seems to be in more of a hurry these days. I received a special at 1320 last month and told the seller to claim, but he didn't want to even though my winning bid was about £50 less than the market value of the product (not sure why he was so desperate that he did a 1 day listing and he could have received more money by selling that product in one of several shops on his walk to the post office - no ID required and it wasn't stolen)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Some people sell because they are potentially "skint" so use the shortest listing.
  • soolin
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure