* Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread

Comments

• LMG1305
    LMG1305 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Hi all! I'm pleased to say we have finally moved & are in our new house. We've been unpacking, decorating & just generally working hard to get it looking lovely for Christmas and make it cosy for Winter. I'm so glad we're in though because I can now start my Christmas shopping. I have usually made a start by now, but because we were moving I didn't want to risk placing any orders & then have them delivered to our old address when we'd moved out. But now I can get going & I can't wait!! As it's Friday today, I am definitely going to be getting some online shopping done.

I'm looking forward to catching up with the thread so I can see what you've all bought & hopefully pick up some ideas :)
  • junior_j
    junior_j Posts: 4,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello you lovely people,

I am feeling super christmassy. Picked up mum a sloth stress ball (£1)
    3 pack of sloth socks (£4) peacocks.

Best friend pug socks (£1)

I think I am biting off more than I can chew here , I was thinking of doing mum a selection of gifts which would be relevant to her child hood years. I saw a 4 pack of snowball drinks in Iceland. She's mentioned them a few times in the past Xmas times.

So I wonder what more items I can add. She was born in 1959. Only child , her mum died when my mum was 18. Her father was a disgusting animal so I don't want him acknowledged. Any idea?

Also got a few more prezzies but it's 3am and my eyes are heavy.

Keeping myself as fit and healthy as possible,I spent 2 more nights in hospital this week , a reminder I always seem to get shunt malfunctions or severe infections this time of year.

Anyway take care all xx
    NanMias - cyber granddaughter!
  • mandco
    mandco Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just popping in quick
    Superdrug have lynx & dove sets down to £2.79 they are also still 3 for 2 instore (not sure if its online) making it £5.58 for 3
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
  • junior_j - Could you get her some albums by bands/singers who had #1 hits during the 60s and 70s? Or DVDs of some films that were big hits during those years?
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Just a little thing from me.....4 x gift bags in Card Factory for £1. I only need 4 so that's me sorted :D Saw some lovely wrapping paper designs too but had hubby with me and he was tutting enough buying the bags. I'll have to go back another day without him :rotfl:
    Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 31/8/22 = £7,252.78
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
    plus £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • Beshki
    Beshki Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Is anyone going for (or has anyone in the past) gone down the route of a ‘good for the environment’ wrapping option? Is plain brown paper packing paper the only option? It’s Ok if it is, just wondered if anyone had any advice to share.

Thanks for all the suggestions for my Gran - I love them all. Unfortunately whilst I am a very charitable person and totally love the idea of giving a charitable gift on her behalf, she is most certainly not (refers to me as a ‘do-gooder :rotfl: )!
  • junior_j
    junior_j Posts: 4,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    junior_j - Could you get her some albums by bands/singers who had #1 hits during the 60s and 70s? Or DVDs of some films that were big hits during those years?
    That's a great idea . Thank you x
    aimeemum wrote: »
    Just a little thing from me.....4 x gift bags in Card Factory for £1. I only need 4 so that's me sorted :D Saw some lovely wrapping paper designs too but had hubby with me and he was tutting enough buying the bags. I'll have to go back another day without him :rotfl:

I love card factory for paper/bags/cards and festive stocking stuffers.

Beshki wrote: »
    Is anyone going for (or has anyone in the past) gone down the route of a ‘good for the environment’ wrapping option? Is plain brown paper packing paper the only option? It’s Ok if it is, just wondered if anyone had any advice to share.

Thanks for all the suggestions for my Gran - I love them all. Unfortunately whilst I am a very charitable person and totally love the idea of giving a charitable gift on her behalf, she is most certainly not (refers to me as a ‘do-gooder :rotfl: )!

Not sure if there is a service in you area that do it ,how about the afternoon tea delivery , posh a special treat , everything included? No worries about mobility , comfort of her own surroundings and more importantly one on one time together?

I went through my wardrobe earlier and organised gifts I have so far.

Dad- t shirt

Mum- sloth socks
    Sloth stress ball
    Nail files
    Re juvenating face mask

Bff- white kitkat chunkies
    Pug socks

Her husband - marvel blanket

Bff mum - gin and tonic gummies
    2020 diary

So just little bits and bobs. Tuesday will be the start of the bigger presents. Sort of glad I'm paid weekly to be honest :o

Right , that's me off to bed. Take care guys xx
    NanMias - cyber granddaughter!
  • LMG1305
    LMG1305 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Beshki wrote: »

I'd like to go down the brown paper wrapping route this year, but there is currently conflicting information on whether our local council can recycle it. They have recently changed who they use to recycle & on the official letter we had from the council it says brown paper cannot be recycled, but one of our local councillors put a post on Facebook saying it can be recycled. A few people have emailed the council to find out what's going on.

Anyway to answer your question, brown paper seems to be the only option I can think of, but it might be worth just putting the question into Google to see what comes up. I know it's a hot topic at the moment so there might be somebody offering alternatives, although right now I think most environmentally friendly options seem to come with a higher price tag.
  • Beshki
    Beshki Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    LMG I’m glad I checked this! Just assumed it was recyclable. I will have a Google, thank you x
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Just noticed Asda have got the gingerbread latte sachets advertised. Know there was a few on here who enjoyed them

https://groceries.asda.com/product/coffee-sachets/nescafe-gold-gingerbread-latte-sachets/910001431263
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport