PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• Yep...I'd have popped in for dinner for that:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Today I've grazed and managed to get through:

- 1 packet of crisps
    - the final 1/3rd of the choccies
    - burger/cheese & chips

Out of burgers now ... and only have one big bread roll left....so I'll need to either eat something else, or go buy more burgers (jalapeno ones next time) and bread rolls.
  • PasturesNew
    Caught the tail end of Mr Oliver's new fast/food programme.

Don't like the bloke... he ponces about too much ... and he was cooking for lots of people with deep pockets.

I think he did four dishes, I flicked over and found it half way through the 2nd one.

Wouldn't have eaten 3 & 4 .... sounds like I'd have not bothered with 2...and I've no idea what he cooked first.

Annoying chap... he's all over the place with his latest fads (aka, trying to work out where the money is in food these days.... )
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2017 at 10:21PM
    I've got one or two comments I could make about Jamie Oliver - but I'll hush my mouth and behave myself:silenced:.

Well I gotta be "quiet" sometimes - ooh....apart from a certain 5 minutes I spent on the phone to my new County Council today (aka "reading Riot Act") and an email I sent off to another part of them (errrm...ditto - ahem...:rotfl:). As I don't think I "made their day" somehow - whilst carefully quoting some of their own stated policy back at them :rotfl:. I'm learning....

Still "picking" food-wise today - dinner included having another go at those potatoes Caron put me onto. So steamed boiled potatoes again - then baked in oven for 10 minutes and big grind of salt over top....and one of those 1 oz cubes of cheese from freezer grated over top and tomatoes and olives. Followed by an apple and rice milk.

Lunch was even "pickier" - as I was grabbing something quick after a walk out with a friend this morning and it was getting late. So some more of Aldi's Paleo cereal with fruit and milk and some bread.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Out of burgers now ... and only have one big bread roll left....so I'll need to either eat something else, or go buy more burgers (jalapeno ones next time) and bread rolls.
    I keep meaning to pick up some of them when I'm in Aldi. I like the lamb ones so much that I want to try these as well.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Still "picking" food-wise today ...
    That's me, you and PN who have all been 'picking' today. I think that it sometimes happens like that. I don't know about you, but I do always find it a pleasant change from eating full planned meals.

The jumbo oats that you use, are they the Flahaven's? I use jumbo oats and I was thinking of buying these ones next time.
  • PasturesNew
    The other week I did chicken ... and I froze the last bit, with some of the gravy. I've taken it out of the freezer so it doesn't get chance to lurk.

I have spuds and also still some frozen carrot/swede mash I made at the time to go with the chicken .... so tomorrow I expect I'll use the 2nd giant yorkie that's been in the freezer since I bought the 2-pack, filled with the chicken, gravy, carrot/swede. I'll make some mash .... and then toss some peas and gravy in the general direction.

That frees up a lot of freezer space. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yesterday came and went and I just had bits all day but still mostly veg and fruit. One of my favourites is stewed apple with nuts and blackcurrants and half a yoghurt, its a nice pud. Sardines on toast, peanut butter on toast. Was ok though, I never felt over stodged and slept well. Maybe that is because I wore my ebay amber overspecs while I knitted or watched tv before bed, then I had a sleepy herb drink

So today? I made hemp milk yesterday, very easy and much easier than soya milk, hemp milk on oats and baby figs, soaked all night. Later I have 1/2 tin of sardines which will give me a protein boost on spelt toast, lot of protein in spelt and I love it

Luckily I do like cold green beans, so I will make double. Think I will have various veg with an egg for lunch and halloumi with whatever salad later. Anyway an easy day for me today, my body is not screaming at me to rest but the last few days have been very busy with visitors and maintenance house jobs, so I will avoid the allotment for once
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    After having summoned up the nerve to stand on the scales yesterday and getting a nasty shock I have an order of fruit, lean meat and veg arriving this morning.

Cool and grey day so might make a large pot of soup once the delivery comes using the veg and the pork ribs I ordered. Also have ingredients for a casserole and a couple more soups so that should do me nicely.

I weighed myself this morning and look as if I had lost two pounds.
    I know it is a delusion due to when I weigh myself but it did cheer me up a bit. Found a recipe to make my own houmous which would be good with veg sticks as a snack.

DH used to say to me that I could not possible be hungry when I was mooching round the kitchen and I eventually came up with "My teeth are bored!" :o
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • That's me, you and PN who have all been 'picking' today. I think that it sometimes happens like that. I don't know about you, but I do always find it a pleasant change from eating full planned meals.

The jumbo oats that you use, are they the Flahaven's? I use jumbo oats and I was thinking of buying these ones next time.

I must admit that I've never heard of Flahaven's ones. So - that would be a no then to that:)

Nope - I alternate between ones bought from the local (genuine) health food store and T*sco's own brand organic ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure