We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 July 2015 at 8:55PM
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    its actually cheaper where she has lived... Southsea. than inland. the housing is so dense its like a rabbit warren. my nephew used to own a sea front hotel/wine bar there and he was constantly asked to house "homeless" and the council offered full £'s which defeats the object really... why the council sold off/never built new I don't know ....well I do but that's another monologue !;)

friend is in a catch 22 situation and council have said they don't even have emergency housing. unfortunately that area has been taken over by "rooms to rent" at max profit rather than let the house itself it seems.
    there is a high drug rate in that region and roads/houses that go with that stigma.. she doesn't want to be in those areas which is fair enough..
    we are not beaten yet !!

Gosh, really? Whereabouts does she live Alfie?

Obviously there are good and bad roads everywhere, but there was nothing like that in the leafy Southsea conservation area where we lived for ten years :eek: In fact we lived in the environs of Southsea from the early 1990s after I graduated and set up my business there, and we never encountered any drug issues.

Our first flat was on the seafront though and I do know that some of the roads lying immediately behind there had a bit of a reputation for *working ladies* in the past (before our time there, lol :rotfl:), but the only problem we had was when some revellers nicked a planter from our front garden and DH chased them up the road till they relinquished it ;)

When we lived in Southsea there were lots of student houses around - our neighbour at our last-but-one house there was a student whose parents had bought a house for him and several friends to share, but I guess since we left the area more purpose-built halls of residence have gone up and the student population has migrated further north to Fratton and suchlike.

That said, our former neighbour at our last house there was rumoured to be a drug baron, but he was otherwise a well-respected businessman with three kids at the same highly-regarded independent school as DS :o
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 15 July 2015 at 9:08PM
    :rotfl::rotfl: sorry phoebe but there ARE some dire areas around Southsea/Portsmouth. being police connected, I promise you there is a notorious drug/drink problem too. I never said ALL. as for student halls being built ? a vast majority of the large 6/7 bed houses are let by the room now.
    yes there are some nice areas but not everyone gets to be in the better "catchment" areas.

p,s, so its ok for neighbour to be a drug baron ? cos it paid for a good school for kids ?

sorry to sound pithed off but not everyone needs a "good" school to get on in life... its the morals count
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 July 2015 at 9:43PM
    :rotfl::rotfl: sorry phoebe but there ARE some dire areas around Southsea/Portsmouth. being police connected, I promise you there is a notorious drug/drink problem too. I never said ALL. as for student halls being built ? a vast majority of the large 6/7 bed houses are let by the room now.
    yes there are some nice areas but not everyone gets to be in the better "catchment" areas.

p,s, so its ok for neighbour to be a drug baron ? cos it paid for a good school for kids ?

sorry to sound pithed off but not everyone needs a "good" school to get on in life... its the morals count

Obviously your friend is unfortunate to live in a less than desirable road/area - sorry, where did you say it was?

During our time there - I was born in a naval nursing home overlooking the seafront and lived in Southsea all my life (apart from my time at uni) till the age of forty - we had many friends with large houses, most notably in the Craneswater Park and Kent Road/Queens Crescent areas and *for the most part* these locations were inhabited by families......but our family home was four flats when we purchased it and I don't deny that many of the larger houses had been subdivided. In our road of around twenty properties, in the ten years of our residence I think six were in multiple occupancy whilst four others were businesses (a nursery school that took up two houses, a residential home and a language school, although the latter has since reverted back to a family home) and these were houses of a minimum of six beds/3000 sq ft.

In the surrounding roads I can think of a few that had small pockets of houses converted to flats, but only a very few and these tended to be student accommodation.

I was under the impression - although after my parents went into their nursing home in 2012 we rarely went onto Portsea Island itself - that many student halls had been built in the city centre and Fratton areas.....but maybe I'm wrong?

I didn't say it was alright to be a drug baron - tbh, I don't know for certain that he was/is one - but many people (shopkeepers & builders who had known him for very many years) said he was and there was a massive police raid on his house one day that was never explained. What I meant was that this was not *petty* drug abuse, but potentially something more sinister and that if true, it funded a very expensive lifestyle.

Where you got the idea from that I said it was ok to be a drug baron if it facilitated your kids going to a good school, goodness only knows?

I get the strong impression that I'm not liked by you - although I'm not sure why - so perhaps I should have stayed off the forum when I discovered we were being stalked :eek:
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    don't take umbrage phoebe please. it felt like you were telling me I couldn't possibly say something that might be true.
    and it was when you said
    "That said, our former neighbour at our last house there was rumoured to be a drug baron, but he was otherwise a well-respected businessman with three kids at the same highly-regarded independent school as DS"
    there is no BUT in my books as its people like him that feed and supply addictions and profit to the degree of his lifestyle.. if he did of course..
    difference of opinion that's all and I was merely explaining my friends situation.
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Been checking out the Amazon Prime sale, picked up this stone saw -

disccutter.jpg
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    not at all phoebe and not sure what you meant by your added comment.
    lets agree to disagree and get back to the forum...

great stone saw IHS
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    great stone saw IHS

Err...yes, but the rather obvious question is....Why? :huh:

I occasionally get my 9"er out...angle grinder, of course ;)... but you could cut the house in half with that thing!
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Davesnave wrote: »

I occasionally get my 9"er out...angle grinder, of course ;)... but you could cut the house in half with that thing!

Yes IHS, I too am curious as to what you have planned :)
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Davesnave wrote: »

Downsizing ? :D
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Gonna grind summat. Make a trough? Cheap Pots for Phoebe, or very expensive pots for phoebe? Or just can fix the pavement? Fix the roads?

Decided that a budgie or two wasn't cutting it?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback