Sky TV Reneging on Deal which was Offered

Options
I am interested to hear what your views are on this scenario i have with Sky at the moment.
I spoke to the cancellation department on Sunday 24 September as i have been experiencing really poor broadband (very slow and intermittent) for a while. At the same time my multiroom box in the bedroom decided it wasn't going to work The advisor I spoke to told me he could upgrade my broadband to fibre for £6.01 less than what i am currently paying and said he had a cheaper way to resolve the issue with the multiroom box which was instead of paying an engineer's call out charge to fix the box (which I was not going to pay anyway) I could have a 1T Sky Q box and a minibox for a one off cost of £20 and he could also reduce my monthly cost on a new 18 month contract.

I told him i would need to check this with my husband and he gave me a reference number and put a note on my account for whoever picked this up when I called back.

My husband agreed but said if the internet is still bad then we want the right to cancel the contract.

So I called up at lunchtime the next day, Monday 25th September and spoke to another advisor and gave him the reference number and told him what had been agreed. He managed to put the broadband through fine but for some reason he couldn't put the Sky Q box through and despite checking this with his colleague, he was still having a problem and said he would call me back around 7pm that evening. I waited for his call and nothing.

I contacted Sky via the online chat and it would appear that this offer never existed. The advisor must have got the deal from somewhere though, he can't just pluck it out of thin air or make up his own deals.

They want to give me Sky Q but they want me to pay £65, which defeats the object as the engineer's call out to fix the multiroom box is £65.

They seem to be quite happy for me to cancel and go elsewhere but my husband said surely trading standards would have something to say about it. If it was something in a shop and it had the wrong price on it, they would have to sell it to me for that price. Can i report it to trading standards do you think, after all, Sky do record all the calls, they just need to listen to the conversation?

Just interested in what other people think, as i'm more than like to go with Virginmedia now anyway.

Thank you :mad::mad::mad:
:j First wins: £120 and The Private Lives of Pippa Lee DVD :j

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bubblecut wrote: »
    If it was something in a shop and it had the wrong price on it, they would have to sell it to me for that price.

They wouldn't.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you have actual evidence of this offer ??
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Trading Standards do not deal with individual complaints, and wouldn't be interested in this even if they did.

Sky retention deals change daily and according to who you speak to, there was never any guarantee that price would still be available. An offer can be rescinded before it is accepted.
  • bubblecut
    bubblecut Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Evidence being the reference number they provided me and they supposedly record all calls as proof of conversation.
  • bubblecut
    Options
    Well, they are saying it was never available I was misquoted by one of their advisors. I'm guessing on that basis, they obviously don't train their staff very well!!
  • bubblecut
    Options
    Unless things have changed in the last few years this always used to be the case, I used to work in retail.
  • bubblecut
    Options
    OK, thanks for that zx81, it has changed then.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 October 2017 at 3:01PM
    Options
    bubblecut wrote: »
    Unless things have changed in the last few years this always used to be the case, I used to work in retail.

From link posted .
    If you take an item to the till and are told the price on the tag or label is a mistake, you don’t have a right to buy the item at the lower price.

< basically its an offer to treat >

As far back as i recall its always been the same .
    Of course many retailers will sell at the mistaken price as a matter of goodwill .
  • bubblecut
    Options
    It was a long time ago when i worked in retail and it was part of our training. If it ever happened and it did occasionally, we used to call the supervisor over and if it was a lower price we never ever argued the case, it was always a case of OK just let it go through at that price. It has happened a couple of times to me and always got it at the lower price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport