Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I was wondering how many of you MFWs are overpaying on the mortgage so you can buy an even bigger/better house when you have finished. It seems that there are two different ways of looking at becoming mortgage free, those that want the security of no debt and being financially better off, and those that are doing this as a means to an end,so they can one day own their dream house, which may be otherwise out of reach. I am asking as I can't decide which of these I am. It does not stop me wanting to work hard to become MF, but knowing the end goal may help a little.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • pammyj74
    pammyj74 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    I think at the moment I am striving to not have that debt and be financially better off to be able to save for other things like a car or holiday BUT it does not stop me looking at houses and wondering if one day I could possibly afford the better detached house with the garage!!

On the whole though to be mortgage free and in a house that isnt that bad really, I have to look at the bigger picture and think, in 10/15 years time the kids will hardly be here and the house I am in will be plenty enough for just me.
    But who knows I may meet the man of my dreams one day and then I would be on a completely different path :o
    MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 :T MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 :eek: NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!! :j
  • laurasavon
    laurasavon Posts: 475 Forumite
    I'd definately like to move, although my initial thought is to rent out the current house if / when we move and use that rent money towards paying a new mortgage so if we start a family in the future we could live on a smaller income
    Jan 2010 - Overdraft £9,500 / Credit Cards £5,000 / Loan £9,500 / Mortgage £128,000
    Jun 2010 - Overdraft £0 / Credit Card £0 / Loan £0 / Mortgage £125,250
    Oct 2011 - Overdraft £7,000 :mad: / Mortgage £115,295
    Dec 2014 - Overdrafts 15,000 / Credit Cards 16,000 / Loans 25,000 / Cars 18,000 / Mortgages 232,500
  • Lynn11
    Lynn11 Posts: 674 Forumite
    I have been overpaying the past 4yrs and managed to overpay £13K which meant that we had more equity in our 2 bed semi to hopefully in the next few days conclude a missive on a 3 bed detached. I know that the interest rates are low and we have got a good deal on the top up part of the mortgage and hopefully I can overpay a small amount (reduction from nursery fees) and it will help in the future and then we can try to reduce the mortgage term at a later date.
    MFIT T2 Challenge - No 46
    Overpayments 2006-2009 = £11985; 2010 = £6170, 2011 = £5570, 2012 = £1290
  • pawlala
    pawlala Posts: 1,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    newgirly wrote: »
    I was wondering how many of you MFWs are overpaying on the mortgage so you can buy an even bigger/better house when you have finished.
    I am! (well, have already.) You can see some of my diary at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2099401
  • newgirly
    I have contacted my building society chelsea today to find out how much I will owe when the fixed rate ends 1st August and the figure was a little higher that I thought at £160,230, the credit card will be a little lower than expected at £9500 so will be looking to borrow just under £170,000:( The thing that really shocked me though was that out of the £961 per month payments only £169 has been coming off the balance eeek! So I am feeling extra motivated, and have decided to ban myself from looking on rightmove for a bigger (more expensive) house. I have had a fairly cheap day except for the TEN pounds :eek: I have just paid for my boys to go to their junior disco at school, but other than that have been very good, and dinner is homemade curry from the freezer and a nice bottle of red that mum left last week.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • bobbybobby
    bobbybobby Posts: 30 Forumite
    interesting that i am also keen to be mf but keep dreaming of my big house in the country!!:o
    to be mortg free by jan 2017 (£163,000)reduced to:rotfl: 8 year term.
    mortg o/p: apr£300, may£300, june£300 :j
    food budget:£200 month :eek:
    virtual saving:£10 every time i check balance online (usually 2xwk ):p
  • pammyj74
    pammyj74 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    i keep thinking where could I be living in 10 years time, being MF, will I want to move and start again but have a great deposit to have. I have to keep telling myself to not be silly, my house will be ample for me when the kids are older!!!
    MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 :T MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 :eek: NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!! :j
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Newgirly :wave:

just stopped by to wish you luck!

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • newgirly
    :) Hi everyone, I'm after a second opinion on what I should change my mortgage to. I had decided to go for the one account, putting my mortgage of £160,000 and credit card of £9900 ish together. However I have spoken with my building society chelsea and although my fixed rate finishes in August they will let me change to a better rate with them in May. It seems tempting as they have a fixed 2year rate at 4% , also there will be no fees or charges at all. I will be able to shorten the mortgage from 30 to 12 years and also overpay ( if possible!) by 20% per month. The only drawback is I can't add the credit card debt as it will take me over 75% LTV. If I do this and make sure cc stays 0% do I over pay on mortgage or credit card? I feel like I just want to get started overpaying the mortgage as I am so keen now, what does everyone think, is lumping both together in the one account cheating a little anyway?!;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback