Best way to fund home improvements

Jigglebiz
Jigglebiz Posts: 162 Forumite
Hi all

We have accepted an offer on our property and have made an offer on another property - a 3 bed. This requires some work - initially about £10-12k of jobs that have been noted by my builder.

We are in the fortunate position that we are not reliant on a mortgage as the property we are selling is owned outright.

My question is how we should approach the non-urgent but desirable cosmetic work that we want to do on the property we're buying. I have made my offer according to the urgent work needed which would leave us with enough cash to pay upfront (plus a small buffer for unexpected costs). Of course, this relies on our current offer being accepted. Once this buffer is used up, we'd not have any spare cash to fund bits like replacing a bathroom, kitchen and so on. These are jobs that could probably wait 1-3 years if needed but the house has not had much done for about 10 years. I have estimated the cost of non-urgent work at £20k although I'm aware there will be unforseen costs also as it is an old house.

From my initial searches, I can see our main options to fund these non-urgent works are:
- Mortgage
- Loan
- Credit card
- Savings over a longer period

I have access to about £5k interest free on a credit card and have been advised I could get a mortgage of about 60k. Our monthly income is low but we are fairly good at saving and budgeting (see signature) and could probably save about £300-400 a month once we are no longer paying rent. Even so, we would ideally like to get the work done up front due to the stress of it and other distractions in our lives already.

I should add that I am generally risk averse and am very careful with money.

Any words of wisdom about the benefits of each approach? Much appreciated :)
Total debt outstanding: Jan18 -£1813 / Feb18 -£1649 / Mar18 -£1278 / Apr18 -£999 / May18 -£632 / June18 -£316 / July18 £0
House Buy/Sell Fund: Jan18 £0 / Feb18 £184 / Mar18 £568 / Apr18 £936 / May18 £956 / June18 £1538 / Jul18 £2233 / Aug18 £2719

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Many vendors of things like kitchens and bathrooms do 0% deals so you could take advantage of those and then you just have to foot any labour bill for fitting.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Are you capable at DIY ?

Fitting bathrooms, kitchens etc can be done fairly easily, i decorated a 3 bedroom house, fitted new bathroom, kitchen, carpets and tiling throughout, plus double glazing and a door, for less than 10k, doing all the work myself.

Obviously if building work is needed, always best to let someone who knows what there doing to get on with it, but that will have higher costs.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure