Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 1st Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 334Posts
    • 372Thanks
    jemreading
    Nearly debt free diary
    • 1st Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    Nearly debt free diary 1st Jul 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hello,

I've been lurking and subscribing to a few threads over the past few months and finally plucked up the courage to start a diary!

As the title says ' nearly' debt free diary.. My current debt situation is below:
    -350 CC with 18.9% (interest free ended on 25th June 2017)
    - 375 Argos Card (interest free until 25th August 2017)

It doesn't seem like much but I've shifted approximately 9,500 of debt between October 2015 - June 2017 and I'm struggling with the final bit! I have also tried to get another interest free card to shift my CC balance over but have been rejected.

I thought a diary might be a good thing as I find myself falling back into bad habits (looking at holidays and clothes I can't afford) and also using a lot of spare change throughout the week to buy small (but adds up) snacks!

I'm also getting married in October 2019 and plan to start saving for that come August 2017 (me and my OH have a savings plan, but it'll be sticking to it we find challenging!)

Jem
Page 3
    • Tunnocks
    • By Tunnocks 22nd Jul 17, 5:47 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Tunnocks
    Hi Jem

I'm enjoying following your diary - we have similar spending habits (if only I had your gym habits).

we've been more realistic with snacks so we shouldn't need to buy stuff at work this week.
    Originally posted by jemreading
    This amused me - I'm planning 4 NSD's this week, but to do this I'm buying chocolate bars in my supermarket shop which I don't usually do.

Good on you getting the woman outside McDonalds a Happy Meal.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 23rd Jul 17, 4:35 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    jemreading
    Hey Turnnocks, thanks for stopping by and thanks for following!

I'm still struggling with the snack spends it's been a long month, especially at work, and when I get stressed I then eat a lot!! My gym class instructor has me on a social media sites so he knows when I don't show up!

I'm planning 3 NS weekdays - on Tuesday I have a friends birthday meal (planned 15) and on Wednesday I have my football spends (3)

I felt bad because it was cold, raining and miserable. Plus, she was the only person who, when I've said do you want anything, has asked for something to eat. Most people either: ask for spare change or ask me for a cigarette!!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 23rd Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    jemreading
    My OH paid for dinner last night. We were going round his friends house and thought it would be a cheap night of pizza but no, they wanted to go out! I didn't take my money so my OH paid for me as a treat (cost him 50?!) I did pay for the 5.71 taxi home as my OH had a few to drink and couldn't drive back and I don't drive either.

Spends for today (ooops!)
    - 51.84 on lunch - I treated my mum, sister and niece to lunch as my mum has done so much in helping for my wedding and has spent many hours searching and looking round with me! This is on my credit card.
    - 2.29 on coffee - I didn't drink it as it's a cold one but I'll take it to work with me for after gym tomorrow.

Rest of weekday spends (pay day is Friday so I'll restart the money clock!!!!!)
    - 15 friends birthday dinner
    - 4 football (could be 3 if loads of people turn up!)
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 23rd Jul 17, 8:15 PM
    • 1,892 Posts
    • 11,167 Thanks
    Florence J
    Hi Jemreading,

Just wanted to pop by and say 'hello'. I just wanted to say well done on tackling your debt so well in such a short period of time. I hope the last bit gets cleared very soon.

Wishing you good luck.

I always warm to people who like football, I may have to forego seeing my team this first part of the season due to my debts (I don't have a season ticket, just go when I can afford to and the ticket is about 25 and the day itself can set me back 40 all in all) I hope you have a good time when you next go.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = 2195.92
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (3168.45/3000)
    February 2018 Credit Card Debt: 3885
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 23rd Jul 17, 8:52 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    jemreading
    Hi Florence, thanks for popping by! I've been reading your diary too!! (I think I read the whole thing in two nights?

Thanks for stopping by! My Argos card should be gone by the end of the month, so it's one less thing to worry about

I've got a game on the 4th August (cost 10 for a pre season friendly!) then I pay direct debit for 11 months at 33.18 which is normally two or three games a month plus it's premier league football so usually some good games! I pay for my football because it's something me and my dad do together plus it cuts down spending on the weekend as I'm either: watching it on TV or at the game. I don't really drink. I don't smoke or buy lots of clothes so football is really all I have!
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 23rd Jul 17, 9:16 PM
    • 1,892 Posts
    • 11,167 Thanks
    Florence J
    Aww, that's so kind to have read my diary in it's entirety, I hope it didn't get too depressing.

That is a good price for Premier League football. Sadly I support Bristol City so I may never see a Premier League match (or at the very least I am unlikely to see a Premier League match where Bristol are one of the teams playing )
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 23rd Jul 17, 9:26 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    jemreading
    It was a good read. I stayed up until 1 am on a work night reading it (coffee was needed the next morning!)

Yes, as it's normally between 25-40 a game I am saving in the long term I think this is Leicester's 4th season in the premier league, hoping to stay in this league for a while!!!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 23rd Jul 17, 9:33 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    jemreading
    Quick money update for next month:

Bills to OH 350.00 (includes: rent, council tax, water, netflix, spotify, internet - we don't own a TV!)
    Food 70.00 (two shops as we go fortnightly)
    Electricity 35.00
    LCFC ticket 33.18
    Phone 38.82
    Gym Membership 29.99
    Experian 14.99 (credit file is a mess and is in the process of sorting it, this will go out mid-month so I may be able to cancel free trial)
    Argos Card 375.00 (card will then be paid!)
    Credit Card 125.84
    Savings 0
    Beauty 0 (got enough perfume, and other products for the month)
    Treats 30.00
    Gifts(birthday/xmas) 50.00 (got two birthdays!)
    Date night 0 (going on holiday for 3 days so no dates this month)
    Travel 120.00 (spending money for holiday)
    Socials 40.00 (got a friends joint birthday party)

Remaining balance: 23.84.

Next month I have: Go Ape (paid for), 3 day holiday (paid for), football (paid for), sisters birthday (presents paid for just need to pay for meal out but this will come from holiday spending money), grandma's birthday (gift and card needed: 10 estimated spend), nephew's birthday (30 estimated spend)
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 23rd Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 9,982 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    No need to pay for Experian join MSE credit club , clearscore and noddle all free .

You are doing really well , keep going.
    CC1 3655 April 2018.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 24th Jul 17, 12:11 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    jemreading
    Hi Cumbria Lass, thanks for dropping in!

I will consider doing that. I'm already on noddle, however, my noddle report does not match my Experian stuff! Hoping to cancel before the free trial ends!!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 24th Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    jemreading
    Today I got up at 6:20am to go to my gym class and then to go straight to work for 8:30am. I also have tennis tonight and potentially a 5K run at the gym!

I think I'll be too tired to spend money today
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 24th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 5,213 Posts
    • 26,679 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    all 3 reports reports are different, Some will have the same items but some things will only show on one of them.

MSE money club is experian for free
    Noodle is free
    Clearscore is free

Im not sure which way round it is noodle/clearscore cover the other 2 reports you for.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 24th Jul 17, 7:00 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    jemreading
    Hi Hidden, thanks for the info

Well, something on my account is wrong because I'm having difficulties even getting a current account, and my Experian report says I have no available credit and no open accounts (which is a little concerning for me!) Trying not to dwell on it too much,
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 24th Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    • 1,892 Posts
    • 11,167 Thanks
    Florence J
    I think because you are having trouble with your credit report at the moment then going for a free trial of experian, maybe even paying for one month if you have to isn't the worst idea. But after that do switch to Martin's club, I love it!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 24th Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    jemreading
    Yes. My plan was to leave it until I hear from them. They said it can take up to 28 days, so I'd rather make sure it's all as accurate as possible!
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 25th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    jemreading
    Today I'm going for my friends birthday meal.

I have 15 for this but it should hopefully be less as I found a 50% off main meal vouchers. I'm only hoping to have a main and a drink so I should be within budget.

I also made my sandwiches for work this morning. Usually I wouldn't bother and just go and buy something so this is progress..
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 25th Jul 17, 6:30 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    jemreading
    I cashed in my new 1 coins - 60 worth, still have 17 in pound coins and my 5 topcashback went through

My bank is sitting at a healthy 78.52 If I spend 15 tonight, like planned, 63.52 left until payday, however, 60 of that I really wanted for my holiday spending money next month.

I'm planning on re-budgeting again before pay day again, I'm not happy with how it looks!

The next 1 coins saved will be for my OH birthday in October, whatever is in there will be his birthday money.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 25th Jul 17, 11:28 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    jemreading
    Went to my friends birthday meal. The spending front was a success! I had a main and a drink (alcoholic, oops!) and with my 50% off mains voucher it came to 10.75! I did leave a 2 tip though.. so 12.75 is not bad.

I saved myself at least 6 tonight by finding the voucher.

I also have another 1 coin to add to my pot
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 26th Jul 17, 2:41 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    jemreading
    I've had a small fall off the non spending wagon

I got my work colleague (who is more like my mother) some birthday gifts. I spent a small amount (will double check later) but I did use the money from my 1 that I banked earlier in the week!

Next month will be a tight month, I'll need to re-jig my budget..
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 26th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    jemreading
    Back from the football world, played for an hour and a half today!

Spends for the day:
    - 18.05 at Marks and Sparkles (bank card)
    - 6.98 in Set (bank card)
    - 1.49 corner shop (last of change)
    - 4 football (last of change)
    - 4.05 Aldi (bank card)

I'm really disappointed and embarrassed by that..
    - Left on bank card: 36.54
    - Spare change: 0
    - Days until pay day: 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,731Posts Today

6,673Users online

Martin's Twitter