Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lucifersangel87
    • By lucifersangel87 11th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 90Posts
    • 24Thanks
    lucifersangel87
    GDRP and Hosting Geography
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    GDRP and Hosting Geography 11th Jan 18 at 9:59 AM
    Hi,

Wondering if anyone knows how the GDRP will affect my hosting ability and legal compliance?
    I currently host a website with Justhost, and store customer names and addresses on the database there.
    With GDRP, will I need to shift my customer data to a UK based database/hosting provider?

Thanks in advance.
    "One cool judgment is worth a thousand hasty counsels. The thing to do is to supply light and not heat."
    -Woodrow Wilson
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 11th Jan 18, 11:27 PM
    • 38,380 Posts
    • 34,984 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:27 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:27 PM
    I was truly relieved when my manager said I didn't have to get up to speed on GDPR, so my only suggestion is to see what's on the ICO website?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern on order...
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 16th Jan 18, 9:35 AM
    • 1,284 Posts
    • 1,900 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 16th Jan 18, 9:35 AM
    • 16th Jan 18, 9:35 AM
    As far as I'm aware no. But you will need to make sure your contract with Justhost covers GDPR, i.e. if needed identifies them as the data controller, sets out responsibilities. You will also need to amend any privacy statements to reflect GDPR. I'm only starting out on this journey in my role, but the bottom line for GDPR compliance is Consent, transparency and legal justification.

There are a lot of companies looking to make money out of this, but as Sue has stated, going directly to the ICO website for info is the easiest. Remember, its not just your hosted data, but ANY personal information interactions (email, paper notes/files, CV/new hires, supplier contracts). It's going to be a fun few months!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,897Posts Today

8,689Users online

Martin's Twitter