Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • squ1rrel5
    • By squ1rrel5 10th Jan 18, 12:49 PM
    • 770Posts
    • 3,908Thanks
    squ1rrel5
    Should I be paying national insurance contributions
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:49 PM
    Should I be paying national insurance contributions 10th Jan 18 at 12:49 PM
    I am currently employed on a part-time basis (earning around 9-10k a year). I also run a freelance business which brings in a profit of around £2.5k a year.

Because my self-employment income is fairly low I am just wondering if I should be voluntarily paying the Class 2 NI contributions or not? To be blatantly honest, I could do without it right now, but I don't want it to affect my pension in the future if I don't pay.

PS I am 38 years old and have been claiming child benefit for the last 4 years for my daughter so also wondering if this is enough without having to pay the contributions.

Thank you
    MRS Squ1rrel5

Baby Squ1rrel5 arrived in the nest March 2014
Page 1
    • squ1rrel5
    • By squ1rrel5 10th Jan 18, 1:14 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 3,908 Thanks
    squ1rrel5
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:14 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:14 PM
    I've checked out my Nat Ins contributions online and therefore answered my own question!
    MRS Squ1rrel5

Baby Squ1rrel5 arrived in the nest March 2014
    • Suarez
    • By Suarez 10th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    Suarez
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    Firstly, your income from your job is enough to get contribution years for the state pension (I'm assuming that's why you're asking)

Also, if you are named on the child benefit you will get the credits until your youngest child is 12.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,254Posts Today

8,459Users online

Martin's Twitter