Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 14th Nov 19, 1:33 AM
    • 6,683Posts
    • 2,813Thanks
    Steve_xx
    Broadband-new exchange line needed
    • 14th Nov 19, 1:33 AM
    Broadband-new exchange line needed 14th Nov 19 at 1:33 AM
    My sister ceased her landline a couple of years ago. She wants to reinstate it now. She wants basic broadband on it, as cheap as possible.

The best I can see is TalkTalk fast broadband (11mb) @ 17.95 monthly on a 12 month contract with the Broadband Genie Amazon voucher 60 offer, which effectively reduces it to 12.95 monthly over the term. Crucially, TalkTalk are not charging for exchange line installation.

Does anybody know of any better offer?
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th Nov 19, 8:49 AM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 2,844 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 14th Nov 19, 8:49 AM
    • 14th Nov 19, 8:49 AM
    My sister ceased her landline a couple of years ago. She wants to reinstate it now. She wants basic broadband on it, as cheap as possible.

The best I can see is TalkTalk fast broadband (11mb) @ 17.95 monthly on a 12 month contract with the Broadband Genie Amazon voucher 60 offer, which effectively reduces it to 12.95 monthly over the term. Crucially, TalkTalk are not charging for exchange line installation.

Does anybody know of any better offer?
    Originally posted by Steve_xx
    https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 14th Nov 19, 10:02 AM
    • 6,683 Posts
    • 2,813 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    • 14th Nov 19, 10:02 AM
    Yes. I ran the details there and that's how i concluded TalkTalk was the cheapest.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 14th Nov 19, 10:02 AM
    • 13,549 Posts
    • 6,221 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    The cheap BT basic package is worth a look .
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 14th Nov 19, 10:23 AM
    • 6,683 Posts
    • 2,813 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    • 14th Nov 19, 10:23 AM
    • 14th Nov 19, 10:23 AM
    The cheap BT basic package is worth a look .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Thanks. I took a look at that and she wouldn't qualify:

You must be getting one of these benefits:

Income Support
    Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    Pensions Credit (Guaranteed Credit)
    Employment and Support Allowance (Income related)
    Universal Credit (and are on zero earnings).

Plus, there is a 15gb limit on the broadband. Also, I couldn't find whether or not there was a line install charge.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 14th Nov 19, 10:39 AM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 2,217 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 14th Nov 19, 10:39 AM
    • 14th Nov 19, 10:39 AM
    There probably would be an installation charge on BT Basic but its more than likely that most people who qualify for it would already have a line. The 15Gb limit is not a hard limit you can go over it but as they will charge you for it. there comes a point where its cheaper for a regular package.

Depending on how the line has been ceased will probably determine whether it costs or not. If its just been disconnected at the exchange by software rather than physically, it can usually be reactivated quickly, whereas if its been physically disconnected as in an engineer has pulled it our OR the line was removed from the property, that will almost certainly be chargeable, however if the incoming line to the master socket from the pole/cabinet is still in place it may not be classed as a new line as such.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 14th Nov 19, 11:13 AM
    • 6,683 Posts
    • 2,813 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    • 14th Nov 19, 11:13 AM
    • 14th Nov 19, 11:13 AM
    There probably would be an installation charge on BT Basic but its more than likely that most people who qualify for it would already have a line. The 15Gb limit is not a hard limit you can go over it but as they will charge you for it. there comes a point where its cheaper for a regular package.

Depending on how the line has been ceased will probably determine whether it costs or not. If its just been disconnected at the exchange by software rather than physically, it can usually be reactivated quickly, whereas if its been physically disconnected as in an engineer has pulled it our OR the line was removed from the property, that will almost certainly be chargeable, however if the incoming line to the master socket from the pole/cabinet is still in place it may not be classed as a new line as such.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    Yes it was ceased at the exchange. She was with Plusnet, and at the time decided she could manage with mobile alone. The cabling is still in place in the house. I remember at the time that they charged her to disconnect it.

There are now two people at the address, both have mobiles, with limits on data. So they were considering a lower mobile tariff each, and then supplementing with broadband on the exchange line, where it would be unlimited.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

337Posts Today

2,705Users online

Martin's Twitter