PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Viewing -AWKWARD!!

Options

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At next visit you should say to the owners that you would like to look at the fitted wardrobe, open drawers, open windows. Then the owners can accompany you. This is for your own " protection" as you would not like to be accused of taking something or even be under suspicion if something goes missing.
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Thanks for your advise, I think I will arrange a second viewing and take my mum or my partners mum as it might make them feel more comfortable. Maybe the age difference threw them.
    It's not about making the vendors feel more comfortable. Your mu, probably lived in a couple of houses and will be able to see things you might miss. Your mum would possibly find it easier to ask questions about the area/ neighbours etc than you might. Also I haven't had one house buy where I've not thought 'am I doing the right thing' at some point in the process your mum going could give you reassurance.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just to add - I've never opened cupboards on a viewing without asking fast. Definitely ask first if you're talking about someone's bedroom wardrobes!
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I have both bought and rented, and not once have I ever been shown around by an agent, apart from where the property was empty. I have honestly never heard of anyone else I know being shown around by an agent either. When we sold our house, the agent never even mentioned it being an option that we didn't show vendors around ourselves.

Maybe this is a regional thing as started above?

Could be. I've bought and sold in the Greater Manchester area and in the South West - agetns showing buyers round has ben the norm and on the odd ocassions when it was the seller the agetns alsways explined this when they booked in the appointment and check that was OK.

I did have one viewing where I was due to view the house with the agent - I turned up, the agent didn't, and hadn't told the sellers about the appointment. . . The house was no good for me but the seller and I had a nice chat about how crap the agent was, and I let them know that I had had a lot of trouble getting hold of them to book the appointment, as well. I noticed that they changed agents a week later, which I suspect was not a coincidence!

On another, the agent was showing me round but the seller was there - the seller kept pointing out all the defects to me. Again, I knew almost immediately it wasn'tthe hosue for me (neded a lot of work, which I wasn't looking for) so it was very funny watching the agent trying desperately to get the seller to shut upabout all the things that were wrong with the house!
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I wanted to look through fitted wardrobes and I know now I should have just asked. Hopefully the confidence will come the more viewings I attend.

I would hate someone nosing through my wardrobe. Maybe start the conversation with them in the room with ‘what layout is inside’ if they offered to show me, fine, but if they described it, i wouldnt press, or take a peek when unaccompanied. Its a wardrobe, would the internal layout really put you off buying the house?

Quite often when selling a house, you get viewing requests at short notice, i have often had to hide dirty laundry or washing up in a cupboard out of sight as i havent had time for a full tidy up.

Also, as already said, valuables get put out of sight. If i wanted you to see all my electricals, jewellery and bank cards id have left them on display. How do i know you arent casing my house. I accompany people on all viewings and never leave them alone. I just stand back and let them look around. What else is there to see? The walls are standing, the windows open and close, everything else can be checked at survey, if you willing to pay for something more than a driveby.
  • CentiaRoyal
    Options
    If they are there again, just remember to be courteous. Just don't go round slagging off their decor ("ugh, what horrible curtains" etc etc)!! If you did that to me I would be less inclined to sell to you! (I know I know, biting off nose to spite my face)
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    flea72 wrote: »
    It's a wardrobe, would the internal layout really put you off buying the house?
    Not so much the internal layout, but you might want to check how deep it is, what the condition of the walls is like, whether it's full of mould, etc.
  • welwynrose
    Options
    We were never at home when we were selling our house we always let the EA do the viewings, when we were looking to buy it was split 50/50 on owners doing viewings against EA doing the viewing we much preferred the EA doing the viewing
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    flea72 wrote: »
    I just stand back and let them look around. What else is there to see? The walls are standing, the windows open and close, everything else can be checked at survey, if you willing to pay for something more than a driveby.
    Oh dear, you wouldn't like us; we do our own surveys! :o

But don't worry, we don't care if the bog flush doesn't work too well, or minor things like that; every house has a few of those. I don't think I've ever looked into a wardrobe or drawer. After all, a clapped-out kitchen is still obvious, even if some of the drawers function OK.

We're only interested in the big things, so we'll need to go into the loft and have the drain covers up etc. Yes we have a ladder, and a spade to look at the garden soil too, though it's hardly ever been used. Here, a passing mole saved us the bother and helped sell the house to us.:rotfl:

None of that on a first viewing, of course. Third is more appropriate. :A
  • newsgroup_monkey
    Options
    With all due respect, surely there's not much you missed on a first viewing on a house worth £100k?

What are you planning to do, look through their drawers?
    That's quite presumptuous and rude.
    It's the usual. When people say "With Respect", then you know full well whatever they are about to say has no respect. In the same way "Without meaning to be rude" you know they will be.

There are currently 394 3+ bed houses for sale within 40 miles of Glasgow (for instance).
    There are 2,353 within 40 miles of Newcastle.

Not everyone lives in the overpriced South of England.
    The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure