Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Graham1
    • By Graham1 26th Aug 19, 11:54 AM
    • 443Posts
    • 168Thanks
    Graham1
    Shell energy broadband - any feedback from recent joiners ?
    • 26th Aug 19, 11:54 AM
    Shell energy broadband - any feedback from recent joiners ? 26th Aug 19 at 11:54 AM
    Do any recent joiners to Shell energy broadband have any feedback to share about it ?

I am referring to their standard ADSL 'fast broadband' 'up to 11Mbps' service, not their fibre offerings.

I am always suspicious of very cheap providers as they probably over-commit their available bandwidth more than most. But as we are quite far from the exchange and on an EO line we only get a 2Mbps sync speed anyway. I am wondering if this service would be good enough.

Any feedback on how much it slows down (or stops) during peak evening hours would be useful.
Page 3
    • staggered
    • By staggered 22nd Oct 19, 9:55 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    staggered
    I was tempted to go with this deal - it's incredibly cheap - but when I had a gas and electricity account with Shell Energy their CS was appalling and, judging by comments on here, their broadband CS isn't much better.

I think I'll pay more and avoid the hassle.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 1st Nov 19, 9:19 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    I access a webcam via my broadband and since taking Shell's deal speed has been very poor. In fact my inital connection sometimes times out, so I wouldn't recommend their service based on my previous suppliers at this property using the same router (Sky, Plusnet and Newcall Telecom) being quite acceptable in that department.

Edit: To put some figures on speed. Whilst downloads seem reasonable at 11Mbps uploads at 0.4Mbps are what seems to be choking the system.
    Last edited by keef-WhatStandards; 01-11-2019 at 9:34 AM.
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
    • starM
    • By starM 1st Nov 19, 10:17 AM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    starM
    I signed up yesterday for £26.99 76mb super fast fibre

The email I have received clearly shows £26.99 includes VAT. It also mentions of £75 which will be paid and of Jan 2020.

Anyone connected with Shell. How is the service and speed like?

I am with Now TV contract is coming to an end. Wondering if I go back and see if they can offer me better deal

Thanks
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 1st Nov 19, 10:40 AM
    • 15,969 Posts
    • 83,623 Thanks
    GDB2222
    I access a webcam via my broadband and since taking Shell's deal speed has been very poor. In fact my inital connection sometimes times out, so I wouldn't recommend their service based on my previous suppliers at this property using the same router (Sky, Plusnet and Newcall Telecom) being quite acceptable in that department.

Edit: To put some figures on speed. Whilst downloads seem reasonable at 11Mbps uploads at 0.4Mbps are what seems to be choking the system.
    Originally posted by keef-WhatStandards
    Any idea why itís different with different suppliers? They are essentially selling you the same BT Openreach product.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • Nessie23
    • By Nessie23 2nd Nov 19, 3:08 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Nessie23
    Any idea why itís different with different suppliers? They are essentially selling you the same BT Openreach product.
    Originally posted by GDB2222
    Moved from Sky to PlusNet and although the broadband product was very similar and in both cases supplied with BT Openreach the speeds from PlusNet were terrible, I believe it was due to their awful router. Can't comment on ShellEnergy yet but this could be the case.
    • lpgm
    • By lpgm 3rd Nov 19, 11:39 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    lpgm
    Has anyone had the £75 credit due in October? I haven't.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 4th Nov 19, 4:33 PM
    • 15,969 Posts
    • 83,623 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Just received this:
    You recently made the great decision to switch to Shell Energy Broadband through MoneySavingExpert.com. When you switched, we promised you some money off in the form of a £75 bill credit.
    Well, good news, we’ve applied your bill credit. You’ll see it on your next bill.
    • lpgm
    • By lpgm 4th Nov 19, 5:19 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    lpgm
    Thanks. Yes, I've had it too.
    • RayC333
    • By RayC333 4th Nov 19, 8:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    RayC333
    Not ADSL but ...
    Not ADSL in my case but same company. No issues at all so far and have just received notice of my £75 credit as promised. Well pleased.
    • ThePounds
    • By ThePounds 12th Nov 19, 10:00 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ThePounds
    They've now applied the credit on my latest bill, but it shows as £62.50 rather than £75, which I've not worked-out yet.

It seems that rather than applying a percentage of the credit to each monthly bill, they're simply not collecting any direct debits until all the credit has been used.

Or am I missing something there?
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 12th Nov 19, 11:08 AM
    • 15,969 Posts
    • 83,623 Thanks
    GDB2222
    They've now applied the credit on my latest bill, but it shows as £62.50 rather than £75, which I've not worked-out yet.

It seems that rather than applying a percentage of the credit to each monthly bill, they're simply not collecting any direct debits until all the credit has been used.

Or am I missing something there?
    Originally posted by ThePounds
    £62.50 +VAt = £75.

And, yes, it's applied as a credit to the account, which is exactly what they said they'd do.
    • vicker
    • By vicker 13th Nov 19, 9:58 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    vicker
    Was supposed to go live Monday. Tuesday, live help are no help. Wednesday a phone call has them apologising and telling me Openreach will respond in the next 48 hours. Not switch it on, just respond...

Not good enough at all. Wish I'd never switched to them.
    • amsterdamgroove
    • By amsterdamgroove 14th Nov 19, 12:21 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    amsterdamgroove
    Is there any way to use one's own router with Shell Energy Broadband? The router that they give you is pretty lousy but I have not been able to find any of the details I'll need to set it all up with my own router. Has anybody managed to use a different router than the one that Shell Energy sends you? Many thanks!
    • happy prime
    • By happy prime 14th Nov 19, 4:39 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    happy prime
    Is there any way to use one's own router with Shell Energy Broadband? The router that they give you is pretty lousy but I have not been able to find any of the details I'll need to set it all up with my own router. Has anybody managed to use a different router than the one that Shell Energy sends you? Many thanks!
    Originally posted by amsterdamgroove
    Hi yes I'm currently doing this. You just need to contact them for the user id and password to use as they don't send it out with their router. Hope this helps.
    • starM
    • By starM 14th Nov 19, 6:55 PM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    starM
    amsterdamgroove. When you rang did you say to them that you need the details to connect with another router?

Also is the speed like?

My connection date is tomorrow.

Thanks
    • happy prime
    • By happy prime 14th Nov 19, 7:46 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    happy prime
    amsterdamgroove. When you rang did you say to them that you need the details to connect with another router?

Also is the speed like?

Thanks
    Originally posted by starM
    Hi. Me again. Yes I just told them I already had a good modem and just needed the user id and password. (Apparently their own modem that they send out automatically does the login.) They were very helpful and would have done this over email but of course there is a delay doing it that way. Speed is currently: DownStream Connection Speed 2848 kbps UpStream Connection Speed 864 kbps. Which is good for me. Again hope this helps.
    • amsterdamgroove
    • By amsterdamgroove 14th Nov 19, 10:05 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    amsterdamgroove

Also is the speed like?

Thanks
    Originally posted by starM
    Something really odd happened. I've got a BT Smart Hub 6 which I was using with PlusNet. When I got home this evening the SH was still ON and my iPhone connected to WiFi as I entered my flat. I am certain that I am now getting broadband from Shell Energy.

To summarise, switched from Plusnet ADSL to ShellEnergy Fibre. Switch happened while I was away and I am now getting fibre broadband from Shell. I never touched the router nor altered any settings. I can't explain this. The Shell Energy router is still in the box.

Speed is great and as they said I would get - 35 Mbps.

I can't make sense of the old router/settings with new ISP.
    • radiccio
    • By radiccio 16th Nov 19, 1:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    radiccio
    I have just signed up to this deal, but instead of £16.99, it's £21.99 with a £5 monthly discount.

Is this discount still applied after the 12 month minimum term?

And can you confirm that everyone who signs up for this deal won't be charged the £15 Cease charge if we decide to switch suppliers after 12 months? Is this charge even legal?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Nov 19, 2:01 PM
    • 4,833 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I have just signed up to this deal, but instead of £16.99, it's £21.99 with a £5 monthly discount.

Is this discount still applied after the 12 month minimum term?

And can you confirm that everyone who signs up for this deal won't be charged the £15 Cease charge if we decide to switch suppliers after 12 months? Is this charge even legal?
    Originally posted by radiccio
    It's a discount, of course it won't apply after the end of minimum term otherwise they wouldn't have a minimum term.

A cease charge is only applicable if the line is being turned off, not if changing supplier.

Edit: not entirely true about minimum term of course
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 16-11-2019 at 2:06 PM.
    • radiccio
    • By radiccio 16th Nov 19, 2:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    radiccio
    Thanks for clarifying re: Cease charge. It's the first I have heard of such a charge after the minimum period has ended.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

242Posts Today

2,991Users online

Martin's Twitter