Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • StripeyTightsSpottySocks
    • By StripeyTightsSpottySocks 13th Jul 19, 6:43 PM
    • 189Posts
    • 771Thanks
    StripeyTightsSpottySocks
    My 25 Months Challenge
    • 13th Jul 19, 6:43 PM
    My 25 Months Challenge 13th Jul 19 at 6:43 PM
    Hello all

I've been reading and been so inspired by lots of diaries on here that I've decided to take the plunge to gather together my random and discombobulated plans into one place.

Our family is me, my boyfriend and 2 cats. I couldn't think of a name for the thread but as our current mortgage fix comes to an end in, as the catchy title suggests, 25 months, this seemed as good a name as any.

In 25 months I would love to be Mortgage Free - in 25 months I'd be happy to be Mortgage Neutral

On paper this isn't possible - but a dream remains a dream without a plan - right?

So here I am, committing to ideally popping in at least once a week to update how these plans are going

In 25 months I want us to be in a position to move house. We never planned on staying here as long as we have done. A bit of background: since buying our home we have been through 5 redundancies Redundancy payments were the minimum and money owed for overtime was not paid Anyway - enough of those glum faces!! That is the past. We are both working now, albeit my role is part-time. Mr Spotty Socks loves his job and I am very proud of him and pleased for him - although he may be earning less than before he is definitely a lot happier in this job. I am paid a lot less than previous jobs - and I don't love my role Part of the reason I also want us to be mortgage free / neutral is for the choices this will give us

I have a spreadsheet which I record lots of things in diligently and I also have a plan to clear as much from this house as I can over the next 2 years so it will make a move easier - positive thinking can only be a good thing

I'd love it if anyone would care to pop in with any tips or suggestions
Page 10
    • Tahlullah.H
    • By Tahlullah.H 10th Nov 19, 7:52 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Tahlullah.H
    Wow Stripey, you always have me stand back in awe! Your list of things, which you say are already within your comfort zone. Amazing! Half marathons are within your comfort zone? I cant even run a mile without risk of a heart attack! And then another language as well as learning new songs? My life is so boring compared.

I appreciate you may be feeling undervalued at work and that things are going wrong and life is passing you by, but I can assure you that if you are doing all of these things already which are within reach, then you are already leading a rich and fulfilling life. All that is happening is that you are having a period of down, which will pass. It will always be short lived because you know your own self worth and no-one can take that from you.

Stay positive. The good does outweigh the bad. Because the bad is finite. it will end. Its just that you sometimes cant see the woods for the trees.

Stay positive and great planning for the NY resolutions. I think mine is just to be mindful and not let the negative define me or my life.
    Where there's a will, there's a way!

Mortgage outstanding - 31/8/19 - £76,000. 31/10/19 - £73,100. 30/11/19 -£71,900.
    • By StripeyTightsSpottySocks 11th Nov 19, 10:18 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    StripeyTightsSpottySocks
    Wow Stripey, you always have me stand back in awe! Your list of things, which you say are already within your comfort zone. Amazing! Half marathons are within your comfort zone? I cant even run a mile without risk of a heart attack! And then another language as well as learning new songs? My life is so boring compared.

I appreciate you may be feeling undervalued at work and that things are going wrong and life is passing you by, but I can assure you that if you are doing all of these things already which are within reach, then you are already leading a rich and fulfilling life. All that is happening is that you are having a period of down, which will pass.
    Originally posted by Tahlullah.H
    Thank you Tahlullah - quick visit from me as i should be in bed *yawn*

These are things i used to do all the time before family upset really made me very down. I am starting again with the running - half marathon was my distance with the intention to do 1 full marathon. I stopped doing anything i was so upset - just an explanation - i am just trying to look forward now. illness has hampered getting back to this sooner but it will be better for my physical and mental health to do this - i am starting slow and short distances and will build this up again - it will take time to get back to where i was but that is ok - i aim to be fitter and healthier than i was when running before and smashing my PB

Again learning an instrument and a new language - i loved doing these things. i don't think anyone really appreciates how low i got - even me. It is only now i am looking to do these things again i realise it - so i can't expect others to see what i couldn't.

Thank you for replying - your life is so not boring at all! I dream of a campervan and getting to new places

Love your resolution too by the way and thank you so much for stopping by - i really appreciate it - feel daft to say it but feel a little fragile as i start to do things i loved before - guess it brings it back to me the time wasted when i wasn't really up to doing anything

Still no news on the meeting with my boss. I am not going to chase it just yet - i think if i need to chase it then that is answer enough.
    14/07/2019 Mortgage Balance £52,995.15 £57,850
    16/07/2019 T Credit Card Balance £1728.50 £967
    £1,500 bill paid in full oct 19
    16/07/2019 Mortgage Savings £9,525.00
    EF£100/£1,000
    p9
    • By StripeyTightsSpottySocks 11th Nov 19, 10:28 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    StripeyTightsSpottySocks
    Hello all

as i said i should be in bed - it has been a very busy day. A full day in work followed by 2 lots of washing and drying - not all moved mind

Finance goals
    Using what i haveBatch cooked another 5 meals because the veg used in them wouldn't have lasted - disaster with the lid dropping off the garlic though so that will be one strong meal or several as it was batch done This will save waste though and uses what we have

Decluttered i think? 21 items (will count again) most are for selling but this helps with finance and home targets Didn't get as much done as i wanted mind

& added to my goal list - think i'm more or less happy with it now. Pleased i've done some things towards it today & ooh - clothes are going back yes i feel good in them but they will be clutter gone & money back in my account i have too many clothes. Any advice on reducing this appreciated Some things i'll revisit when i'm at the right weight and decide if i genuinely like them as my shape may change and can only tell when they are actually properly on - now it's a bit of a guess.

Sure there was more as i've been non-stop all day.

Hope all is good with everyone - wll get round and post when i can x
    EF£100/£1,000
    p9
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 18th Nov 19, 8:53 AM
    • 9,944 Posts
    • 20,268 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Hi Stripey

It is okay and even good to spend birthday money on yourself. On not over-buying clothes - I am not perfect either - but I raised the bar. Wherever possible, clothes have to make me feel special and boost my confidence not just cover me. If it only 'covers me' it's not a bargain and I search for something better that I eel more confident in. I quote like TKs for that. They have a plus sizes and unusual brands and designs and it often looks better on than the high street. Am@z... weirdly in another one that can have really good looking things at decent prices...
    Target DFD Mar 21 Nov 20 £38840 @ 13/7/19 £25,697@0%
    Target MFD July 2031 March 28 owe £145551 @13/7/19 £145,078 @1.7%
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 20th Nov 19, 7:54 AM
    • 1,477 Posts
    • 13,311 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    Hi Stripey,

I've just read all your diary and look forward to exciting things now you have your mojo back!
    I don't post there often but avidly read the Declutter thread (2019 a clutter free life) so wanted to help you with a link as you mentioned it a week or so back:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5942702
    The lovely Mrs Salad Dodger cheers everyone on.

I hope the link works ok for you. I hope you have a good day.
    December 5th 26 days remaining
    Save 12K in 2019 #12 - £8,500/£12,000
    Cutting Down Alcohol: 90/150
    D4|N10|O9|S5|A7|J3|J5|M10|A13|M10|F6|J8
    2018:86|2017:106|2016:83
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 20th Nov 19, 7:55 AM
    • 1,477 Posts
    • 13,311 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    PS I think you should keep your new birthday clothes if they put a spring in your step and a twinkle in your eye - a great use of your birthday money.
    December 5th 26 days remaining
    Save 12K in 2019 #12 - £8,500/£12,000
    Cutting Down Alcohol: 90/150
    D4|N10|O9|S5|A7|J3|J5|M10|A13|M10|F6|J8
    2018:86|2017:106|2016:83
    • By StripeyTightsSpottySocks 21st Nov 19, 7:31 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    StripeyTightsSpottySocks
    Hi Stripey

It is okay and even good to spend birthday money on yourself. On not over-buying clothes - I am not perfect either - but I raised the bar. Wherever possible, clothes have to make me feel special and boost my confidence not just cover me. If it only 'covers me' it's not a bargain and I search for something better that I eel more confident in. I quote like TKs for that. They have a plus sizes and unusual brands and designs and it often looks better on than the high street. Am@z... weirdly in another one that can have really good looking things at decent prices...
    Originally posted by savingholmes
    Hi savings - thank you - but my clothes are *all* second hand - the ones i'd bought with birthday money were obviously new & i did return them.

Really i think i just need to get over myself I'm not in the position i thought i'd be in by now and that is what it is. I partly buy clothes because i think i *should* be able to afford to do so, partly because i'm unhappy with my shape currently, and partly, i realised, because we are seeing family soon - no outfit will change how i feel but urgh! Tried explaining but it's too much to go into i also buy my clothes secondhand and enjoy the 'bargain.' Of course, it isn't a bargain when it doesn't fit but usually i've only wasted a £1 or £2 at the most.

Thank you though for sharing your experience with me. T&K do have some lovely things but i think i'm just going to pledge not to buy anything new new for a year - only exception is if on holiday - & then i don't really take enough money to spend on clothes anyway and i need to eat
    EF£100/£1,000
    p9
    • By StripeyTightsSpottySocks 21st Nov 19, 7:35 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    StripeyTightsSpottySocks
    PS I think you should keep your new birthday clothes if they put a spring in your step and a twinkle in your eye - a great use of your birthday money.
    Originally posted by Wanna Bee Free
    Hello Bee and thank you for stopping by i will look up the thread you mentioned. I returned all the new birthday clothes already. As mentioned to savings i will now be pledging no new 'new' clothes for a year. minimum. I did like the clothes - but i am still aiming to lose weight so i think they may have been short-lived to.
    EF£100/£1,000
    p9
    • By StripeyTightsSpottySocks 21st Nov 19, 8:58 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    StripeyTightsSpottySocks
    So i was going out this evening but have stayed home, opting to update on here & maybe clear a bag or 2 - i will report on progress

I'll do a sweeping update now and then report back with an update against targets - it's like my carrot to get things done

As previously stated it has been a busy month of celebrating birthdays, some for close family so spending has happened. i've stayed in tonight to counteract some of that - i have spent more than i should. Although i am owed some money for gifts bought on behalf of Mr Socks, things picked up for him when out shopping and things picked up for mum when out shopping. i should really have analysed the individual costs rather than look at the one pot of funds - or no funds as it stands now.

Sold a small value item - made someone else happy and £5 for me - was in my decluttered items of 52 Aiming for another 50 during a very busy first week of December.

Gosh all my updates seem to centre around my targets - which should be good i think? So i will tackle said bag, have a survey to do too so best get on and then back here to update more fully.
    EF£100/£1,000
    p9
    • By StripeyTightsSpottySocks 21st Nov 19, 9:50 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    StripeyTightsSpottySocks
    Ok, further quick update and prepare to be horrified as i confess this.

I have just emptied and moved 2 bags of items, i did 1 bag. I tipped up a second bag and have sorted a little bit for recycling, a little bit for shredding (all old paperwork /receipts) The majority went back in the bag and I WILL do this bag tomorrow. I then did a third bag so I have done 2 full bags. The second bag was just overwhelming with stuff i have shoved in there to clear a different space. To give you an idea of the length of time i've not been dealing with things for - i came across the food order i'd written out for us for a takeaway pre-Christmas Eve last year

I just feel glad to be dealing with things now, hopefully, MH wise, it means i am moving on, making progress. I have said before i have gotten very low about things in the past.

EF£100/£1,000
    p9
    • By StripeyTightsSpottySocks 21st Nov 19, 10:55 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    StripeyTightsSpottySocks
    Review of Progress on Goals
    Set until 31.12.20

Finances:
    50k in savings not a lot of movement this month - usual savings amount
    down to 1 debt above all minimums met. expensive birthday month & not enough left do extra
    10% paid off mortgage couple of round down payments
    1k Emergency fund stands at £100 of £1k

Home:
    Home, including all cupboards, freezer etc sorted and at a manageable level eg - space in the freezer if i buy anything / cook anything. All tins / jars orderly in cupboards

Still overstocking the freezer - remember money is tied up in all the objects that come in here - edible and otherwise - the money will be better.

But, i have decluttered entirely 52 items, some for sale, some non salvageable, some to gift stash so will save money that way too. I have tried things on and let things go - i do fid it hard to let things go - especially when there is still some wear in it. My coat is very tatty it is split both on the inside and out with bits of the padded inner material sifting out I have just now decided to just use it for scruffy outdoor jobs and the same for the scarf i wear with it - it has holes in but is ok when you wrap it round. - see how hard it is to just part with things? Any suggestions whether they should be recycled or kept welcome

Self:
    Run regularly to include a 1/2 marathon each week or fortnight (starting from 0 this is the target) I have started running again 3 short runs so far and illness has stopped any more for now but i will *not* give this up - mini target to be at 10k by the end of the year
    Zumba - go to classes again Quandry - it will cost money, i'm trying to make cutbacks but i really WANT to do it - it is a want after all..
    Music practice x 3 a week minimum - repertoire minimum 12 new songs by end of year nope
    Language practice x 5 week 10 hours minimum nope
    Read daily not quite at daily levels but i have started again
    Travel - plan this Yes! Currently 4 mini trips planned
    Minimum 2 charity walks 1 signed up to already and is imminent

Relationships:
    Quality time: Mr, Mum, friends have some dates planned with Mr Socks plans to meet all my friends - will involve 4 more different catch upas as i've already been on 1 get together So something with mum to plan in soon - but neither of us are well so may be a while
    Each interaction with others to be the best it can be 4 P's - polite, positive, patient, present work in progress

Community:
    Do more in and for the community - if it is a small spend to help others maybe go without something on the shopping list to afford it? joined 1 community event, attended another briefly and have been asked for a donation for a third thing - will give the donation

Also wanted to note i have started to do other things i used to enjoy too - baking and painting my nails, small simple pleasures
    Last edited by StripeyTightsSpottySocks; 21-11-2019 at 10:59 PM.
    EF£100/£1,000
    p9
    • Tahlullah.H
    • By Tahlullah.H 22nd Nov 19, 9:25 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Tahlullah.H
    Starting on the road to recovery.

Mortgage outstanding - 31/8/19 - £76,000. 31/10/19 - £73,100. 30/11/19 -£71,900.
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 24th Nov 19, 7:54 PM
    • 9,944 Posts
    • 20,268 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Like the list of little things you are doing to bring yourself pleasure.

I make myself get rid of stuff with holes - unless they are almost new and the hole is somewhere it would never be seen like my leggings... even as I write that though - I know it is ridiculous as the leggings were only £2.50... My DD has been helping me with this.

DH took an old chest of drawers and a desk to the tip for me today, I also binned a shapeless t-shirt - so now at 39/100 list.
    Target DFD Mar 21 Nov 20 £38840 @ 13/7/19 £25,697@0%
    Target MFD July 2031 March 28 owe £145551 @13/7/19 £145,078 @1.7%
    • By StripeyTightsSpottySocks 3rd Dec 19, 6:19 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    StripeyTightsSpottySocks
    Hello all. I am sorry i've not been around and i will pop into your diaries too. Just wanted to let you all know i'm still here - been absent due to a mix of illness and holiday. Still feeling bleurgh! just now but going to get on with some organising at home to try and help with things as well as needing to do all usual household stuff. i hope you're all well with good things happening
    EF£100/£1,000
    p9
    • Tahlullah.H
    • By Tahlullah.H 3rd Dec 19, 8:23 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Tahlullah.H
    Glad to hear you are ok

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,418Posts Today

6,964Users online

Martin's Twitter