Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
    • londondulwich
    • By londondulwich 2nd Nov 07, 7:16 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    londondulwich
    The virgin bundle has expensive call charges and exhorbitant connection fees on top of that.
    • t8769
    • By t8769 2nd Nov 07, 3:02 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    t8769
    I highly recomend Orange on a cashback scheme, you'll save hundreds of pounds.

Get an Orange contgract from a reputable cashback company, like Onestophoneshop, which is part of the Carphonewarehouse.

You'll only pay 17/ mo for a top rate tarrif, on top of that you'll get free broadband. Just remember to send in your cashback claims on time!

I'm paying 17mo for 600min and free landline calls and 200 texts, and excellent broadband.. you can't beat that!
    • will-in-estoril
    • By will-in-estoril 18th Nov 07, 9:15 AM
    • 838 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    will-in-estoril
    Three Mobile Broadband
    £10/£15 a month for a two year contract, with the mobile modem costing £49.99/free.

The big advantage is that your laptop becomes mobile too: no more wires, dependency on hot spots etc. This type of set up is popular in Portugal, yet it is not widely available across UK networks (yet.)

Does anyone have any experiences of Three's broadband service, as I am sorely tempted?

http://three.co.uk/personal/products_services_/mobile_broadband_/index.omp
    RIP independent MSE.
    Died 1st June 2012
    • Trying to be good
    • By Trying to be good 18th Nov 07, 1:32 PM
    • 1,938 Posts
    • 2,430 Thanks
    Trying to be good
    I've just tried to sign up for free Orange broadband (I'm on an 18-month mobile contract) to find they're now charging 5pm for their cheapest service. Is this right?
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
    • scrooged
    • By scrooged 29th Nov 07, 8:50 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    scrooged
    Hi

I am now looking for a new broadband provider. Although it is mentioned on this site as a good buy, I can tell you that Eclipse have THE worst customer service in existence. They are totally useless in resolving issues and the time it takes to respond takes at least 10 days for each issue even those set to HIGH priority. I am now disgruntled by their existence and so....

Can anyone vouch for a none cable provider which they are happ with?

Scrooged
  • peterba7
    TALK TALK broadband
    Talk Talk broadband and phone beware, broadband is a load of rubbish, phone calls i was told were free when i got my second bill i was charged for some calls, told i would get upto 8 meg broadband, can only get 2 meg from them , when trying to contact anyone from talk talk it takes upto 2 hours when you get through you end up speeding to someone that can not understand english as you are put through to someone in India or africa, had it for 2 months now looking for a genuine provide.
  • SirSaveALot
    Links in the article
    Hi

The article links to thinkbroadband and ADSLguide. thinkbroadband is the new name for adslguide.org.uk. The ADSLguide in the article links to adslguide.com. I don't know if there was anything there before, but currently adslguide.com is a placeholder page.

Good article though, thanks.

Regards
    SirSaveALot

PS happy NewNet customer here (Lite as rececommended in the article)
    • HugoSP
    • By HugoSP 27th Dec 07, 4:38 PM
    • 2,415 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    HugoSP
    Cheapest broadband supplier - not wireless
    Sorry, quick question.

Tenant looking to get a home phone and broadband package.

That is all he needs, he doesn't even need wireless, or SKY

Bearing in mind that he may need a line installing as well could I please have some heads up on some cheap packages.

Thanks
    Behind every great man is a good woman

Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    2 savings jar - now at 3.42
    • Horace
    • By Horace 27th Dec 07, 4:45 PM
    • 14,111 Posts
    • 24,783 Thanks
    Horace
    ADSL4Less is quite a cheap broadband package - costs about 11.99 per month. My ex uses it and swears by it.
    Semper in faeces profundum variat

Make 5 a day challenge Oct 2014 126.00/155
    Make 5 a day challenge Nov 2014 157.40/150
    Make 10 a day challenge Dec 2014 392.90/310
    • Pitchshifter
    • By Pitchshifter 27th Dec 07, 11:08 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Pitchshifter
    Tiscali offers the cheapest bundle out there. It's 14.99 PM and includes 8MB unlimited broadband, phone line rental, weekend phone calls AND weekend international calls. It's a cracking deal.
    Damn they should be paying me commission. lol
  • normanmark
    Just remember that the cheapest isn't necessarily the best.
    • Ypaymore
    • By Ypaymore 28th Dec 07, 1:08 AM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    Ypaymore
    Tiscali offers the cheapest bundle out there. It's 14.99 PM and includes 8MB unlimited broadband, phone line rental, weekend phone calls AND weekend international calls. It's a cracking deal.
    Damn they should be paying me commission. lol
    Originally posted by Pitchshifter
    Tiscali are not interested in connecting customers without phone lines,despite the fact they can. They are only interested in cherry picking BT Customers. Their is also a 30 connection fee.
  • gem2509
    I am in a similar boat. i am moving into a rented flat (as soon as i find one!) but will only be there for about 9 months anyone got any suggestions for broadband? and possibly home phone.. tho my mobile contract needs and update so if i can do away with the home phone i will.
    • Pitchshifter
    • By Pitchshifter 28th Dec 07, 4:05 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Pitchshifter
    If there is no phone line, you can't get around paying BT the standard £130 to install one. Most ISPs charge a standard connection fee of around £30.
    These costs are fixed, after that you can go for the cheapest option if you want, which, granted may not be the best, but you may be surprised. My dad has Tiscali for 6 months and had no problems so far. He's got the £19.99 option which includes free anytime phonecalls and unlimitted 8Mb BB.
    This seems like a bargain to me as I am paying BT for phone line rental (10.50) and Pipex for internet (24.99) so monthly total is £35.50 as well as phone charges! Over £15.50 per month cheaper, and he gets slightly faster download speeds.
    Also Pipex is now owned by Tiscali and both of them are going to use 0871 numbers for their support phone line. So what if the support line is expensive, it's massively cheaper.
    • J B
    • By J B 28th Dec 07, 6:02 PM
    • 3,583 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    J B
    So, as we live in an area inaccessible by ISP's beginning with the letter T ;-) where else would you recommend?

I currently have plusnet for my ISP and am more than happy - shall I bundle the phone with them too?

I'm also looking for my father in law and looking at summat similar (although he is only an occasional dial up user atm so don't expect high usage from him)

T I A
    • fernando_vaz
    • By fernando_vaz 28th Dec 07, 8:36 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    fernando_vaz
    Can anyone tell me if I can get wireless broadband but on a month to month contract (no minimum term)?

Thanks
    • gemmabe
    • By gemmabe 1st Jan 08, 7:55 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    gemmabe
    Can anyone tell me if I can get wireless broadband but on a month to month contract (no minimum term)?

Thanks
    Originally posted by fernando_vaz
    Hiya! I'm just about to leave the apalling Tiscali, they have released me from my contract as I have had an intermittent connection for 4, yes FOUR months! that they are unable to fix.

Anyway the point of my post is that I am transferring to PlusNet which is a monthly contract, having looked around they seem to offer the best deal with cheap UK-based tech support which is a must for me after my recent experience lol! Also comes with a free router and 28 cashback if you go through Quidco, hth
  • Londonprofessional
    Stuck with BT for a year - best unlimited broadband with free wireless pack?
    Hi there. I have just bought a house and am changing the phone number so am told I am stuck with BT for phone for one year. What is the best value broadband package for me? I prefer unlimited usage, ideally no or limited traffic shaping and a wireless router pack. I can live with a year contract if needed although obviously would prefer a month to month package if it exists...

Help please! :confused:
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 4th Jan 08, 12:07 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 6,140 Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Hi Londonprofessional,
    Have you read Martin's Broadband article:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband

Have a read and come back if you've got any questions.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• J B
    • By J B 4th Jan 08, 4:39 PM
    • 3,583 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    J B
    Have you read Martin's Broadband article:
    Have a read and come back if you've got any questions.
    Originally posted by MSE Archna
    My question is ....

We can't get Talk Talk or Tiscali

Where shall I go for a 'bundle'?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,458Posts Today

7,452Users online

Martin's Twitter