Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 4th May 12, 12:14 PM
    • 1,243Posts
    • 3,577Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MSE TicketySplit app discussion
    • 4th May 12, 12:14 PM
    MSE TicketySplit app discussion 4th May 12 at 12:14 PM

Hi all, we've built a new TicketySplit app and mobile site. These free tools quickly find which station to split tickets at to save for UK train journeys.

It would be fantastic if you could ...

a) let us know what you think and
    b) report any bugs

If you have any problems, letting us know what mobile phone you are using would be a huge help.

TicketySplit mobile site
    (Please bookmark on your phone - this is not an app)

Thanks guys

Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 08-05-2012 at 8:59 PM.
Page 6
  • NT4657
    Great idea and agree Android App needed please. It isn't a new idea... I used to split tickets in the 1980s when a student... London (Waterloo) to Crewkerne and Crewkerne to Exeter used to save me loads and you could do this at a ticket office - Internet didn't exist then!
  • Tulyar
    I don't think Tickety Split can actually match the option of learning about routing and validity of tickets, as it isn't clear if you identify TOC only options and deals like the EC 10% discount on EC-Only fares booked on-line.

Just as motorists have a good handle on finding cheaper fuels and servicing, so regular rail travellers build up a knowledge of fare pricing points. for example the standard return fares WAT-FNC are around 5 cheaper than WAT-GLD, a stop closer to London, due to the zoning criteria.
    • thelawnet
    • By thelawnet 4th Jan 13, 1:12 AM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 1,692 Thanks
    thelawnet
    Wat-Gld is much cheaper than Wat-Fnc.

The only way Wat-fnc would be cheaper is if you are buying a wat-gld ticket routed 'via reading', but why would you do that, when the 'route clandon/woking' ticket is much cheaper?
    • edrandall
    • By edrandall 22nd Apr 13, 7:58 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    edrandall
    A bit saddened that an Android app has taken back seat to an iPhone app.... especially on a money saving site, and with Android THE most popular opperating system for mobile phones... doesn't make sense to me.
    Originally posted by Lifes Grand Plan
    I'm a bit saddened that a straightforward web page app has taken the back seat to a mobile phone version. I'm way too frugal to splash out on such things. Tell me I'm wrong please, is there a link somewhere?
    Phew found it http://splitticket.moneysavingexpert.com/tool.php
    Last edited by edrandall; 22-04-2013 at 8:03 AM.
    • wendywoo0805
    • By wendywoo0805 24th Apr 13, 2:05 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wendywoo0805
    split ticket app
    I am using a samsung s2 and it just aint working......can't even access the app!!
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 24th Apr 13, 8:45 AM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    I don't think Tickety Split can actually match the option of learning about routing and validity of tickets, as it isn't clear if you identify TOC only options and deals like the EC 10% discount on EC-Only fares booked on-line.

Originally posted by Tulyar

But that EC 10% is off advance fares, surely? Which tickety split doesn't set out to deal in. Or it didn't last time I looked at it, some time back.

TOC options should be there if purchasable as walk on at a station.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 24th Apr 13, 12:04 PM
    • 18,662 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    I am using a samsung s2 and it just aint working......can't even access the app!!
    Originally posted by wendywoo0805
    There is no android app.

From your web browser use this... http://splitticket.moneysavingexpert.com/
    • eglons
    • By eglons 13th May 13, 12:40 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    eglons
    Am I doing something wrong or is this limited to today and tomorrow?... most MSE folk will want to book well in advance to make the best savings so what's the point of this?
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 13th May 13, 1:04 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    Am I doing something wrong or is this limited to today and tomorrow?... most MSE folk will want to book well in advance to make the best savings so what's the point of this?
    Originally posted by eglons

It only gives you walk on fares that are the same price on the day - that's the whole point of it and what it sets out (with varying success) to do. It gets you a cheaper journey when you haven't been able to book in advance

Advance fares are a rather more difficult problem - no one has yet solved it, fully anyway
  • fixitmjc
    Rail-Air single from Southampton?
    The TicketySplit mobile site has come up with an 11 saving for Swaythling to London by buying a 1.90 single to Southampton Airport Parkway (where I would change anyway) and then a 25 "RAIL-AIR SINGLE" ticket to London.

I can find no mention of this type of ticket on the Network rail site or any other ticketing site. Does anyone know if this actually exists because it sounds too good to be true?
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 14th May 13, 7:37 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    It probably exists on paper as a special offer that can be sold to passengers arriving at Southampton by air. Possibly only to be sold on board the plane.

Doesn't mean to say it is currently on offer - it's an enabling fare, not a mandatory one. Maybe something being considered - or even something that used to exist but is no more.

Like you I cannot find any other reference to it.
    • redux
    • By redux 14th May 13, 9:10 PM
    • 19,963 Posts
    • 27,891 Thanks
    redux
    The TicketySplit mobile site has come up with an 11 saving for Swaythling to London by buying a 1.90 single to Southampton Airport Parkway (where I would change anyway) and then a 25 "RAIL-AIR SINGLE" ticket to London.

I can find no mention of this type of ticket on the Network rail site or any other ticketing site. Does anyone know if this actually exists because it sounds too good to be true?
    Originally posted by fixitmjc
    I can't either.

But you can save something, though mainly off-peak

You might take an advance fare with Cross Country from Southampton Airport to Basingstoke for from 7, then single to Waterloo 21.20

Or Cross Country advance to Reading for 10, then ordinary single to Paddington for 17.20 off-peak

If you can put up with a longer journey, get an advance from Southampton Central to Victoria, from 5

If none of those apply as you're only travelling at peak time, split at Farnborough, especially for return trips starting early in the day.

For instance, peak time day return SWG - WAT 75.30, or peak return SWG - FNB 18.80 and FNB - WAT 28.90
    Last edited by redux; 14-05-2013 at 9:14 PM.
  • Liglig
    Hi,

Tickety split is not working properly. Does anyone else have this problem? I put in Gatwick to Penzance and it did not recognize either station. Any help would be appreciated.

Liglig
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 6th Jul 13, 11:57 AM
    • 18,662 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Hi,

Tickety split is not working properly. Does anyone else have this problem? I put in Gatwick to Penzance and it did not recognize either station. Any help would be appreciated.

Liglig
    Originally posted by Liglig
    You asked this question yesterday and I replied:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=62261081&highlight=#post62261081

Did you report the problem, as suggested?
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 22nd Sep 13, 11:11 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    I don't get this.

I chose Edinburgh to Penzance for tomorrow at dawn and it suggests the 6.52am train to newton abbot for 33.50 which would be great. Except I can find no indication of this ticket existing or why it would exist? It seems much cheaper than anything else including advance tickets which seems unlikely.

Am I missing something? How do I find out about this ticket. Most websites suggest about 88 pounds is a more normal price to newton abbot. Are there really much cheapers tickets just by turning up in person?

I am somewhat confused
    Thanks
    • thelawnet
    • By thelawnet 22nd Sep 13, 11:29 PM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 1,692 Thanks
    thelawnet
    I don't get this.

I chose Edinburgh to Penzance for tomorrow at dawn and it suggests the 6.52am train to newton abbot for 33.50 which would be great. Except I can find no indication of this ticket existing or why it would exist? It seems much cheaper than anything else including advance tickets which seems unlikely.
    Originally posted by mnbvcxz
    It says it's an Advance ticket.

However according to Virgin Trains, it's not available.

In fact I wouldn't expect this ticket ever to be available at that price on that train.

It's an error with the ticketysplit app.

Am I missing something? How do I find out about this ticket. Most websites suggest about 88 pounds is a more normal price to newton abbot. Are there really much cheapers tickets just by turning up in person?
    No, not really.

Are you actually planning on making this journey?

You will want to book before midnight, otherwise you will have to pay a walk-up fare.

You can book the 08:10 to Tiverton Parkway for 56 Advance (before midnight!); this arrives 15:29 in Tiverton, where you can change onto the 16:02 to Penzance. The fare for this section is 19.40. Arrives 19:33.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 22nd Sep 13, 11:54 PM
    • 18,662 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Originally posted by thelawnet
    Especially as the app claims only to handle walk-up fares:
    ALWAYS check advance fares first
    If you're buying the day before travel or earlier, ALWAYS check online for cheap advances first. This trial version of TicketySplit can only check walk-up fares. Even if you don't split 'em, cheap advances are likely to beat split walk-on fares.
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 24th Sep 13, 12:34 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    It says it's an Advance ticket.

Are you actually planning on making this journey?

You will want to book before midnight, otherwise you will have to pay a walk-up fare.

You can book the 08:10 to Tiverton Parkway for 56 Advance (before midnight!); this arrives 15:29 in Tiverton, where you can change onto the 16:02 to Penzance. The fare for this section is 19.40. Arrives 19:33.
    Originally posted by thelawnet
    No I'm being slightly more organized and am travelling on the 13th or 14th of october. I was going to fly but it turns out they have stopped the flights for the winter...

I'm very impressed you found the cheaper fare to tiverton parkway though. All I can see is 88 pound advance fees for tickets. How did you find it was their?

It looks like it is quoting me the cheapest advance ticket price available. Which presumably is only for one ticket realeased 90 days ahead and snapped up instantly. On some ticket websites it does say "from" thirty something pounds.

Odd that as you say the app claims not to do avance tickets but thats all it shows me? And impossible to get ones at that.

I suspect I will have to split the ticket 88 pounds to devon and then a single walk on fare onwards for the last hop. I guess the systems just can't cope with the length otherwise.

Still thanks very much for the help. It is nice to know its not just me. Any other tips welcome,

Thankyou
  • thryn76
    doesn't seem to work
    I just tried this app with no success. I was asking for a ticket to London from stockport, which i know there are much cheaper fares to go via stafford, but this app just came up with the standard virgin train fare, as always. Disappointed.
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 12th Jan 14, 12:56 AM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    yorkie2
    I just tried this app with no success. I was asking for a ticket to London from stockport, which i know there are much cheaper fares to go via stafford, but this app just came up with the standard virgin train fare, as always. Disappointed.
    Originally posted by thryn76
    You can use slower London Midland trains to Stafford Stoke or Crewe (or Stafford, if you want to pay a bit more and not get the fast trains which run non-stop through Stafford), and take an alternative operator from either of those stations to Stockport. But as they are slower, the app will not show them.

There is another website which is much better at providing splits, but I am not allowed to link to it as it's against MSE's rules.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,617Posts Today

6,592Users online

Martin's Twitter