Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 4th May 12, 12:14 PM
    • 1,243Posts
    • 3,577Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MSE TicketySplit app discussion
    • 4th May 12, 12:14 PM
    MSE TicketySplit app discussion 4th May 12 at 12:14 PM

Hi all, we've built a new TicketySplit app and mobile site. These free tools quickly find which station to split tickets at to save for UK train journeys.

It would be fantastic if you could ...

a) let us know what you think and
    b) report any bugs

If you have any problems, letting us know what mobile phone you are using would be a huge help.

TicketySplit mobile site
    (Please bookmark on your phone - this is not an app)

Thanks guys

Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 08-05-2012 at 8:59 PM.
Page 5
    • skipness
    • By skipness 21st Jun 12, 11:23 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    skipness
    If there is no facility to buy the tickets at your departure station, you should buy the tickets at your first opportunity.
    This may be from the guard/conductor, at an interchange station or at your destination.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    Unfortunately, the ticket split for the journey I was researching occurs part way through the 2nd leg, not at the interchange from branch to main line.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 21st Jun 12, 11:56 AM
    • 18,662 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Unfortunately, the ticket split for the journey I was researching occurs part way through the 2nd leg, not at the interchange from branch to main line.
    Originally posted by skipness
    That extra information doesn't change what I have written.
  • Reef1234
    I downloaded this but it never works, just shows the loading sign constantly,but nothing ever comes. Anyone else had the same problem?
  • sharpy2010
    I downloaded this but it never works, just shows the loading sign constantly,but nothing ever comes. Anyone else had the same problem?
    Originally posted by Reef1234
    Nope, you need a new phone!
    • studio_two
    • By studio_two 23rd Jun 12, 8:50 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    studio_two
    York station does not seem to show up.
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 23rd Jun 12, 11:18 AM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 543 Thanks
    yorkie2
    This question may have been posted before, if so sorry!
    The first part of my journey would be from an unstaffed station. Can the conductor/guard issue split tickets?
    Yes. Ask for all the ticket(s) you need for your journey at the first opportunity.
    That does not matter, you ask for the tickets at the first opportunity. That would normally be at your origin station if the ticket office was open, but if not, then it will be on board the train, unless the conductor is unable to sell a ticket (due to time constraints or a broken machine) in which case you buy a ticket at your interchange (if you have time) if you do not have time at your interchange, then buy on the next train.

Providing you ask for all the tickets you require at the first opportunity you are fulfilling your obligations.
    Delayed trains and split advanced tickets.

On the main site there is a warning that if the 1st train runs late the 2nd ticket might not be valid http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets#changetrain
    Originally posted by blanik
    Providing sufficient interchange time has been allowed, and Condition 19 of NRCoC complied with, then it is NOT correct to say that the 2nd ticket might not be valid.
    However I found details posted elsewhere, supposedly from the official manual, that the 2nd ticket should be endorsed for later travel with the same company at no cost. See Q22 section 2 which includes the example "e.g. Advance ticket Bristol-Paddington plus tube single ticket, plus advance ticket Kings Cross to Hull;" http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48377&highlight=Advance+FAQs

Perhaps someone from MSE could clarify?
    Originally posted by blanik
    I can confirm that the information on Railforums is correct. If anyone posts incorrect information there this is either promptly corrected or deleted. The Advance Fares FAQ comes from The Manual which applies to all Train Companies.

Before The Manual clarified the situation, this matter was hotly contested and debated, but I have always maintained it is valid because:

1) The National Rail Conditions of Carriage Condition 19 allows you to use two or more ticket(s) for one journey.

2) The Advance ticket conditions state that, if your train is delayed, you may take later trains to complete your journey.

In August 2010 I was made aware of a thread by zzip00 Criminal because my train was late?, I arranged to meet zzip00 and then sent a few emails, the result of which was the Unpaid Fare Notice being dropped and the guard being given a ticking off, along with a reminder being issued to all staff at that company.

The guard who incorrectly issued it has been known to cause trouble for other passengers, so much so that when someone described the problem and the attitude on the route in question, I did not need to ask for the name, "Was it X?"I'd ask, "Yes, how did you know?" would be the reply. The individual can no longer be found on board trains and has been moved to an alternative role. If a member of staff makes up rules as they go along, it needs reporting and escalating as appropriate to ensure that it does not occur again.

Despite zzip00 being absolutely in the right, several users (e.g. sassy-one) gave out incorrect information, and were even thanked for that. Staggering! If sassy-one had made the posts on Railforums they would have been deleted promptly for being incorrect.

Railway ticketing matters are complex, and I suggest ensuring information is correct before taking the advice. A lot of information that is given out is incorrect. Only accept the answer if you can be sure the person giving out the information is right and has been checked by others, as mistakes can be costly.
  • Caitlyn
    Tried this between the south coast and birmingham. Only saved 60p and returns are still cheaper.

I look forward to using the app when it includes advance and return fares, really great idea.

I tend to try and find them myself using nationalrail, but it's a game of luck that way!
  • Moneymatta
    Split Rail Fares
    How about season tickets?
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 17th Aug 12, 4:21 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    How about season tickets?
    Originally posted by Moneymatta
    It is unusual for splitting season tickets to be worth while and there are extra rules about validity
    • cing0
    • By cing0 3rd Sep 12, 8:26 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    cing0
    http://splitticket.moneysavingexpert.com/tool.php was working last week but now gives "Please select a valid departure station" on form submit.
    No mention on the website that it's down. I'm sure last time station inputs were validated.
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 4th Sep 12, 3:13 AM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    Same as above post. not working for me?
    • blanik
    • By blanik 5th Sep 12, 6:58 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    blanik
    Same as above post. not working for me?
    Originally posted by Hasbeen
    Works OK for me - chrome on windows 7.
    Perhaps those people having problems could post their browser and operating system to see if that is a common factor.
    • snowcat53
    • By snowcat53 27th Sep 12, 9:15 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    snowcat53
    Just to log that I have successfully spit a peak time Macclesfield to London return journey, and saved about 45 over the cheapest advance fare for the same trains. This was Macc- Stoke (return)/ Stoke- Milton Keynes (single)/ Milton Keynes - Euston (single)/, and coming back Euston-Stoke (single).

I also got Cashback of 6.06% using Southern Trains booking website (Topcashback).

Have to say though it was complex and time consuming (no app) - different trains stop at different stations. Woudl be easy to get it wrong. Is there an app for adroid phone?
  • devon_curryholic
    Suggestion for app improvement
    Like the ticketysplit iPhone app. Just tried it and it saved over 30 on the walk-on fare to Manchester from here. As you say, it will be a much better app when it can do the same for advance purchase fares. Is there any way you could include a minimum waiting time at the "splitting" station (use chooseable, but say 30 minutes to allow for delays) to enable smokers to exit the station for a cigarette? This would mean the app looking up the next train to the destination, rather than the split route being on the same direct train.
    • coupleuk
    • By coupleuk 11th Oct 12, 8:15 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    coupleuk
    Used the online version tonight - saved approx 12.

Highbridge & Burnham to Birmingham and return using a two together railcard was coming back at 73.30 total for 2 of us.

App wasnt much use calculating a fare BUT did show a change at Cheltenham Spa would save money.

So, entered B&H to Cheltenham and then to Bham (plus same on return) and came in at 61.60.

Did a further check and found we'd be on exactly same train as in the higher original fare.

A saving of 16%.

RESULT !!
    • [MaccA]
    • By [MaccA] 17th Oct 12, 1:06 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    [MaccA]
    Used it on an iPhone 5.

Was impressed to see how quick the search result came back.

One immediate piece of improvement I would suggest is a button to "reverse" the journey you've just looked up. That would save you having to manually edit the Departure and Arrival fields when searching for the return leg fair.
    • bethansmum
    • By bethansmum 20th Oct 12, 9:51 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    bethansmum
    I cannot get it to accept any arrival destination. I am trying to go to London, but not sure if I should put kings cross, London or something else.
    • Livingthedream
    • By Livingthedream 20th Oct 12, 10:58 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 3,489 Thanks
    Livingthedream
    I cannot get it to accept any arrival destination. I am trying to go to London, but not sure if I should put kings cross, London or something else.
    Originally posted by bethansmum
    Seems to be working for me just tried 'London' and 'London Kings cross' as an arrival station, I got a drop down list of stations once I typed 'lon' then used the slider to find the 'London' station I wanted.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
    • redux
    • By redux 21st Oct 12, 4:27 AM
    • 19,983 Posts
    • 27,938 Thanks
    redux
    Originally posted by bethansmum
    Seems to be working for me just tried 'London' and 'London Kings cross' as an arrival station, I got a drop down list of stations once I typed 'lon' then used the slider to find the 'London' station I wanted.
    Originally posted by Livingthedream
    I find that on the mobile version of the page in Opera Mini on my phone it gives no drop-down and will only accept the exact spelling of the station, not the first few letters and not the 3 letter abbreviation, so in this case London Kings Cross or London (All) - though letter case doesn't matter.

It seems to regard London stations as interchangeable though, and will give you the right one for the line if you guess the wrong one.
    Last edited by redux; 21-10-2012 at 7:25 AM.
    • pjrobertson
    • By pjrobertson 2nd Jan 13, 3:34 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    pjrobertson
    If anybody's looking for an alternative to the TicketySplit app, I've created my own ticket splitting website called TwoTix. It's a bit more advance than TicketySplit, as it can:
    • Split walk on fares for any day
    • Split return fares
    • Split return fares into two single journeys
    • Split advance fares

It's a proof of concept website, and still a work in progress so it may be a bit rough around the corners.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,543Posts Today

6,607Users online

Martin's Twitter