Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 23rd May 11, 2:58 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Volcanic ash hits UK flights - your travel rights
    • 23rd May 11, 2:58 PM
    MSE News: Volcanic ash hits UK flights - your travel rights 23rd May 11 at 2:58 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"MoneySavingExpert.com has been besieged with emails from worried travellers due to fly, so we've rounded up your rights ..."

Last edited by MSE Guy; 24-05-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Page 2
    • LadyMorticia
    • By LadyMorticia 24th May 11, 12:28 PM
    • 19,157 Posts
    • 87,254 Thanks
    LadyMorticia
    Going to Florida on Sunday so really hope our flight isn't affected.
    2019 Wins
    1/25

2019 in 2019
    10/2019
    • soolin
    • By soolin 24th May 11, 12:37 PM
    • 62,963 Posts
    • 45,330 Thanks
    soolin
    This site shows the ash cloud and planes in flight. I assume it is fairly accurate.

http://www.flightradar24.com/
    Originally posted by busiscoming2
    It's quite addictive isn't it?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • Gumbo-67
    BA86 from Vancouver to Heathrow delayed 20+ hours last night (hasn't taken off yet) whilst they examined the Jumbo's engines for ash damage from the outbound flight from Heathrow.

This was after the flight had boarded!

There were apparently visual signs of ash.

This route passes closer to Iceland than any other route other than flights to Iceland itself.
    Originally posted by withabix
    Any up date on this? i have a friend flying in from Canada on thursday morning and i am getting a little worried to be honest and if the delays are very long she is going to miss her conecting train.
    • cherryblossoms
    • By cherryblossoms 24th May 11, 2:32 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 1,331 Thanks
    cherryblossoms
    I'm supposed to be flying to Chicago via Amsterdam tomorrow morning from Newcastle, looks like it's not going to happen I had booked the same holiday in November 2010 which was cancelled due to the snow! I will not be booking to go again!
    2012 wins:

Thank you to all competition posters
    • malc_b
    • By malc_b 24th May 11, 2:32 PM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    malc_b
    New bookings
    I was thinking about booking a holiday for September. Should I hold off? What about a DIY holiday? I think a package might be ok. If the holiday company don't deliver they have to refund all the money don't they? Of course car hire could be separate but some of those allow very late cancellations (not the last minute though).

But for DIY holidays the issue would be the separate accommodation. That would need travel insurance to cover that and I guess travel insurance wouldn't cover a booking made now (even for September). So booking DIY holidays will have to wait until this eruption stops but package should be ok, do I have that right?
    • charlie792
    • By charlie792 24th May 11, 3:35 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 5,410 Thanks
    charlie792
    http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/volcanic?REGION=vaacuk&V=Grimsvotn&LANG=en&ART=0&C LOUD=1&FL=0 has now been updated and now shows up to 7am tomorrow morning. By which point the thickest of the ash (over 4000mg) should be gone off the UK. The ash at 2000-4000mg (where airlines need permission) is still present over Ednigburgh and Dundee.

Obviously don't rely soley on this information but its a good indication that things should be moving on fairly quickly. Im feeling a lot more confident that my flight from Bristol at 6am tomorrow should be ok....
    Last edited by charlie792; 24-05-2011 at 3:38 PM.
    MFW 2019 #111 Offset Balance 39,790.68/ 79,013.52
    Aug 2014 114,750 -35 yrs (2049)
    Sept 2016 104,800
    Nov 2018 82,500 -24 yrs (2042)

Aim Mortgage Free by December 2021
    • laplandmad
    • By laplandmad 24th May 11, 5:12 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    laplandmad
    Flight cancelled what next?
    We are due to fly to Cyprus on Friday with Monarch. If the flight is cancelled does it mean we have to wait for the next Monarch flight to Cyprus which is on Sunday or if the cloud has lifted by Saturday will we fly then?

Thanks
    • AHAR
    • By AHAR 24th May 11, 10:33 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    AHAR
    You folllow the advice given by your airline. BA, for example, advise passengers to NOT go to the airport if their flight is cancelled. That's the advice they've given in the past, and that's the advice on their website just now.
    Originally posted by Dawning
    If you're at home that's fair enough but if I were abroad I'd go to the airport and get someone there to arrange the care I'm entitled to rather than starting to rack up expenses to be reclaimed later and trying to get through to a no doubt overloaded customer care department on the phone.
  • lovebargainshatewaste
    Any up date on this? i have a friend flying in from Canada on thursday morning and i am getting a little worried to be honest and if the delays are very long she is going to miss her conecting train.
    Originally posted by Gumbo-67
    The aircraft landed at Heathrow this morning, so the passengers have reached the UK (finally). It was only the Vancouver flight that was affected (to/from Canada) afaik.

HTH
    Call me what you like, I was a bit "tiddly" when I chose my username

April GC: 64.27/100
  • ScotSandi
    I can't get KLM to acknowledge my claim from last year never mind any travel issues this time round !!!!!
    • sanora
    • By sanora 25th May 11, 12:50 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    sanora
    So do I have a claim - who pays
    Hi
    My 9:45am Ryanair return flight from Marseille to Edinburgh was cancelled yesterday because of the cloud. The next available flight was this coming Sunday. Given addditional costs and work commitments, this was not an option. Instead, We took the oppportunity of transferring (at no cost)to a Ryanair London flight that was flying out at 3:10 pm yesterday. The plan was to then get a train from London to Edinburgh. This flight was delayed by 70 minutes and as a result, our plans to get a train to Edinburg did not materialise.

On the off chance I phoned to enquire about a sleeper train to Edinburg and managed to get booked on the 11:50pm sleeper train from Euston and finally arrived back at Edinburg this morning at 7:10 am.

So, do I have a claim against Ryanair to recover the extra costs involved in getting home or do I approach my travel insurance company?
    • Dawning
    • By Dawning 25th May 11, 1:26 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 1,019 Thanks
    Dawning
    If you're at home that's fair enough but if I were abroad I'd go to the airport and get someone there to arrange the care I'm entitled to rather than starting to rack up expenses to be reclaimed later and trying to get through to a no doubt overloaded customer care department on the phone.
    Originally posted by AHAR
    Good grief! I was merely telling the OP what the 'official' guidance from one airline is...and also she asked about going back 'home' so I assumed she was referring to her outward journey. My reply was based on her question about travelling from home, not from abroad....IMO, inbound all bets are off. No point in gettting argumentative about it really, is there?
    Last edited by Dawning; 25-05-2011 at 1:29 PM.

• AHAR
    • By AHAR 25th May 11, 2:05 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    AHAR
    No point in gettting argumentative about it really, is there?
    Originally posted by Dawning
    No, there isn't.
  • powned
    How about the rights of people currently on holiday? Does this article apply to their return flights etc
  • gilhug83
    My friends were due to fly yesterday to attend a football match and flights were cancelled so they couldn't make the game, flights are being refunded but I'm sure I read somewhere that car hire or 'other events' booked at intended destination can also be claimed - would they have the right to claim the cost of the match tickets back from the airline too??
  • WizzyB
    Getting back!!
    I'm supposed to fly to Egypt on Friday. Even if we get there I'm really worried about getting back as my son has A levels! If we cancel our package we get nothing, even though the company may not be able to keep their side of the "contract". Very frustrating!
  • felly1987
    I'm meant to be flying to NYC on Monday with my partner.
    He is currently working near Frankfurt and is due to fly back on Saturday.

His flight from Germany is booked with BA so we know where we stand there but our flight to New York is booked with Delta (not an EU carrier) and we booked it through Expedia - does anyone know where we stand if it is cancelled? We paid by credit card.

It's looking okay at the moment though
  • jabdc5
    http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/05/volcanic-ash-travel-claims-are-legitimate-253687/
  • felly1987
    Thanks Cityboy - today's flight was easy and things are looking good for Monday :-)
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 2nd Jun 11, 12:38 PM
    • 79,045 Posts
    • 92,847 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I'm supposed to fly to Egypt on Friday. Even if we get there I'm really worried about getting back as my son has A levels! If we cancel our package we get nothing, even though the company may not be able to keep their side of the "contract". Very frustrating!
    Originally posted by WizzyB

Frustrating? As a school Exams Officer I can't believe people book a holiday abroad in this half term when their child is in the middle of GCSEs or A Levels! I have one doing A levels and one doing GCSEs right now and would not have even considered any holiday this week!

I am not normally this harsh but no sympathy from me to your post - even if this was the only week you could have gone on holiday I would have given it a miss this year, frankly.

Even without the Ash Cloud, how are the students supposed to continue their revision properly, taking books with you isn't the same. I spoke to a parent in your situation only last week and the child was in tears because they didn't want to go on holiday, he was caught in the middle between two separated parents; the Mum had not listened to him when booking a holiday during 'their time together'. We/the teachers said we felt they should consider cancelling, as it was plain daft to risk missing GCSE exams when the lad had his sights set on a top Uni in due course.

Back on topic, rant over!

My own Ash Cloud claim from last Easter is with solicitors arranged by my home insurance and I am hopeful of finally getting a payout from Monarch soon.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 02-06-2011 at 12:44 PM.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,315Posts Today

7,579Users online

Martin's Twitter