Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 5th Oct 10, 10:09 AM
    • 1,243Posts
    • 3,577Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Cheap Train Fares guide discussion
    • 5th Oct 10, 10:09 AM
    Cheap Train Fares guide discussion 5th Oct 10 at 10:09 AM

Hi, we've written a Cheap Trains guide to help you play the train ticket system with hidden tricks. You can also check out the latest travel offers, vouchers and discounts on our Cheap Train & Coach Deals page.

If you've tried the techniques mentioned in the guide, were you successful? How much did you save? Is there anything you'd add?

Thanks for your help

MSE Jenny
    Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 08-03-2013 at 2:11 PM.
Page 54
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 5th Nov 17, 6:18 PM
    • 18,891 Posts
    • 23,472 Thanks
    KeithP
    Where from?
    Originally posted by Kite2010
    As the poster wrote in the post title: Ipswich.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 5th Nov 17, 11:02 PM
    • 7,437 Posts
    • 10,798 Thanks
    surfsister
    hi from Ipswich!
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 11th Nov 17, 10:11 PM
    • 7,437 Posts
    • 10,798 Thanks
    surfsister
    Hi any answers??
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 11th Nov 17, 10:42 PM
    • 18,891 Posts
    • 23,472 Thanks
    KeithP
    On your other thread.
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 24th Nov 17, 5:50 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    Black Friday - Trans Penine Express
    Transpenine express are reporting 25% off fares for three days on 2.5 million fares.

Not that I could find one on my route....

https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/special-offers/black-friday-discount
    • AnorakNerd
    • By AnorakNerd 18th Apr 18, 10:02 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AnorakNerd
    Only Trainline has tickets on sale
    I am trying to buy tickets for London to Edinburgh in August.
    The Trainline seems to offer discounted single tickets £40 and £49. These are advance tickets

This gives a saving on the standard return of £140.

However, these tickets are not available via Virgin East Coast (who run the service) or any other website.

I am guessing that Trainline is presuming that it can buy up the cheap tickets as soon as they become officially available.

Do forum members agree? Or can they suggest a better way of getting the best cheap tickets without going via Trainline.

Thank you forumites for your previous answers. Always helpful.
    • miller
    • By miller 19th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    • 1,327 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    miller
    I tried for Monday 6th August on virgintrainseastcoast.com and £49 advances were showing on the 1300 and subsequent departures.
    • AnorakNerd
    • By AnorakNerd 19th Apr 18, 10:51 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AnorakNerd
    Thank you - as if by magic
    It seems as if these tickets have just become available all the way to the end of September (just as per Trainline).
    Perhaps it is down to the power of MSE!
    Thank you in any event
    • Delores
    • By Delores 22nd Apr 18, 4:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Delores
    Liverpool to London every week
    My work now requires me to travel down to London every week (Tuesday-Thursday return journey)

I have to at least arrive at the office in the morning and leave in the evening, but I've noticed that Virgin Trains doesn't seem to offer any cheap tickets (less than £60 single) on this route anymore. It used to be that I could look at the dates 12 weeks from now and get a cheap return. Now it seems like you can book any date in the future, but the cheapest single ticket that gets you there in the morning is £159. The train back is another £40 at least.

Am I just looking in the wrong place? I can't spend +£200 travelling to London, with accommodation on top of it! My work doesn't cover the travel/accommodation.
    • MSE Kelvin
    • By MSE Kelvin 4th Jun 18, 7:01 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    MSE Kelvin
    MSE case study request!
    Evening forumites.

After all the rail chaos caused by the timetable overhaul over the last couple of weeks, we're featuring train delays in this week's Money Tips Email, and we're looking for a couple of case studies to encourage MoneySavers to claim their money back.

1) Have you claimed back £100+ via Delay Repay?

We're looking for anyone who has been refunded £100 or more for a delayed journey in the last couple of months.

2) Have you ever got money back after complaining about poor service on a train?

Have you ever been given a refund or received compensation after complaining about dirty toilets, broken seats or the Wi-Fi being down on a train, or anything else along those lines?

If either of these apply to you, I'd love to hear from you - simply reply on here or email kelvin.goodson@moneysavingexpert.com.

Thanks for your help!

MSE Kelvin

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • tor green
    • By tor green 26th Aug 18, 4:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tor green
    Ticket clever etc
    Spent most of morning trying all your suggested ticket split tools and they definitely did not provide me with any cheaper deals..?

Are we supposed to split the journey ourselves into sections to keep the costs down.. or is the tool supposed to look at the options which we can then select..I got the same prices quoted across all sites! Then as I repeated searches over the same sites with similar dates over a 2-3 hrs period they all went up!!!!

Theses search engines are all rigged to cost you more and more money without giving you time to think of your options it is disgusting.

Thank you Though money savings expert for trying to help us
    • converted
    • By converted 27th Aug 18, 10:52 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    converted
    I have for the first time tried split ticketing and made a great saving.

I was looking at Downham Market to Bromsgrove which came up at £72one way. However by doing D/mkt to Birmingham £27.90 then Birmingham to Bromsgrove was £6.10 making a total of £34 - big difference for the exact same trains
    • dutchie
    • By dutchie 5th Sep 18, 11:26 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    dutchie
    I've been trying out the train splitting websites, but confused about the advice they give on train changes, delays and advance tickets.

The sites are splitting my journey at a station where I need to change,so I have a ticket A to B and advance ticket B to C, and the change is at B. What happens if my A to B train is delayed and I miss the B to C train, with it being an advance ticket, valid for a specific time only?
    • dutchie
    • By dutchie 5th Sep 18, 7:58 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    dutchie
    I've been trying out the train splitting websites, but confused about the advice they give on train changes, delays and advance tickets.

The sites are splitting my journey at a station where I need to change,so I have a ticket A to B and advance ticket B to C, and the change is at B. What happens if my A to B train is delayed and I miss the B to C train, with it being an advance ticket, valid for a specific time only?
    Originally posted by dutchie
    In case this helps anyone else, here's what I found. The National Rail Conditions of Carriage 2018 state:

"9.4. Where you are using a Ticket valid on a specific train service or train services (such as an ‘advance’ Ticket) and you miss a service because a previous connecting train service was delayed, you will be able to travel on the next train service provided by the Train Company with whom you were booked without penalty."

You can see the full document here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/National%20Rail%20Conditions%20of%20Travel.pdf

So it looks like in my example with a delay occurring from A to B, causing me to miss the scheduled B to C train as specified on the advance ticket, I would be permitted to travel on the next train.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 5th Sep 18, 9:15 PM
    • 18,891 Posts
    • 23,472 Thanks
    KeithP
    So it looks like in my example with a delay occurring from A to B, causing me to miss the scheduled B to C train as specified on the advance ticket, I would be permitted to travel on the next train.
    Originally posted by dutchie
    Yes, your interpretation of the NRCoT is correct.

You seem to be implying that 'the train splitting websites' are giving out different information?

Which 'train splitting websites' are getting it wrong?
    • dutchie
    • By dutchie 6th Sep 18, 12:00 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    dutchie
    Actually it was more the moneysavingexpert website info confusing me. At https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets/ it says:

"In the rare event that you book split tickets and your split ticket stop coincides with the station where you change trains, should your first train run late, your second ticket might not be valid for the next leg of the journey.

For example, if you travel from Aford to Cshire via Btown and split your tickets at Btown, and also need to change trains at Btown, then if the Aford to Btown train is late, your ticket may not be valid for a later Btown to Cshire train.

Finally, off-peak and super off-peak tickets require you to travel at specific times of day. So if you split your tickets at a station where you have to change, and a delay takes you into peak times, you may have to pay again to travel during this time."
    • hkareno
    • By hkareno 6th Sep 18, 11:34 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    hkareno
    Can u advice? I got an advance train ticket travelling from Newark to Gatwick airport changed at London Victoria. First part of the journey delayed more than 30mins. However, this didn't affect my connections as I booked the ticket with extra connection time. In this situation as I still entital delay compensation? Thx a lot.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 6th Sep 18, 12:58 PM
    • 18,891 Posts
    • 23,472 Thanks
    KeithP
    Can u advice? I got an advance train ticket travelling from Newark to Gatwick airport changed at London Victoria. First part of the journey delayed more than 30mins. However, this didn't affect my connections as I booked the ticket with extra connection time. In this situation as I still entital delay compensation? Thx a lot.
    Originally posted by hkareno
    If you arrived at Gatwick at the time you were supposed to arrive there, then there was no delay and therefore no compensation is due.
    • yesruf
    • By yesruf 1st Oct 18, 9:23 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    yesruf
    Missing ticket options
    There are thousands of train ticket options for multiple train journeys that aren't available to buy as single journey or split journey tickets from any website. For example, between 17:48 and 18:33 there are 4 trains that leave Kings Cross and arrive at Doncaster between 19:43 and 20:20. All of these could connect to a Transpennine Express service that departs Doncaster at 20:36 for S!!!!horpe. These 4 journey options are not sold on any websites, including the split ticket websites. The only way to buy those tickets to buy the Doncaster train ticket manually and separate to the Transpennine train ticket. The algorithms in the background are denying customers choice and value for money.
    • tonyf33
    • By tonyf33 2nd Oct 18, 5:07 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    tonyf33
    Still getting Stevenage to Hull return for £26.40, it's the only upside of the journey tbh, still can't book cycles directly on the website at time of booking so left to the mercy of buying ticket first then hoping there's space on the train for your bike. Booking it at your local station is a hit or miss thing, at least the takeover from Virgin means that the call centre isn't in India where often the language barrier makes it difficult and extends the call hugely. 40 minutes last time to sort out a simple 5 minute task!
    Agree with above, the system is actually preventing connections to be made that would be more conducive to travel and costing more to boot.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,983Posts Today

8,907Users online

Martin's Twitter