Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
  • HXDave
    Monarch Assistance
    Hi guys,

if anyone is still having problems with getting their full 'out of pocket' expenses back from Monarch, look at this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2935446

It may help some of you.

Regards

HXDave
    I used to be a Travel Agent
    Used to be a travel agent for 23 Years, but now out of the industry. However I will help with what i can.
  • John DW Parsons
    More Monarch
    Glad to see there are others who will not roll over... The 20 ppp day offer was an insult. We asked them where at that time of utter chaos they thought we could get that price, but there was no reply. We referred our claim to the CAA who posted it on to Spain under whose auspices this comes apparently. Nothing from there either. We feel that court action is the only thing they will understand, We have been offered only half of our fully receipted and very reasonable extra hotel accommodation and meals costs for a week, with no drinks, lunches or any extras (such as the significant internet and phone charges to try and get some sense out of Monarch). They even had the cheek to assess our Euro expenditure at 1.25 Euros to the pound. Monarch as good as abandoned us in Tenerife and left us to our own devices. To then say after several months of delay that we should just accept their paltry offer shows complete disdain for the principles of good customer relations, so now after over a year of struggling I guess we will see them in court...

Has anyone here been successful in getting all their money back?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Aug 11, 10:59 PM
    • 78,927 Posts
    • 92,730 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Just to update I haven't got there yet but have a Solicitor working on the case now (took a while for my house insurer to allow the legal cover part of the policy for this, and I was busy too so couldn't always reply straight away). The Solicitor assessed the cost to my insurers will amount to about five grand (even though a small claim lodged by an individual costs 35 or so!). So you can see why no-one can/should use a solicitor for a small claim unless it's externally funded by a charge card or insurance policy.

Monarch, we are not taking this matter lying down, YOU WERE AN INSULT TO YOUR INDUSTRY, WORSE THAN RYANAIR.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 14-08-2011 at 11:02 PM.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • HXDave
    Coupon-Mad,

Good luck mate. Hopefully, Monarch will now do the same with you as they did with Cityboy, and as soon as they realise you are serious, pay you out.

It may be a while since we chatted, but i'm still here, and rooting for you to beat these guys.

Make sure your guys only speak with the top guy - Geoff Atkinson, Group Lawyer. Tell them no one else will do. If you want his direct e-mail / telephone number, i can provide it for you.

Take care, and god speed to you & your claim.

HXDave
    I used to be a Travel Agent
    Used to be a travel agent for 23 Years, but now out of the industry. However I will help with what i can.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Jun 12, 4:40 PM
    • 78,927 Posts
    • 92,730 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Coupon-Mad,

Good luck mate. Hopefully, Monarch will now do the same with you as they did with Cityboy, and as soon as they realise you are serious, pay you out.

It may be a while since we chatted, but i'm still here, and rooting for you to beat these guys.

Make sure your guys only speak with the top guy - Geoff Atkinson, Group Lawyer. Tell them no one else will do. If you want his direct e-mail / telephone number, i can provide it for you.

Take care, and god speed to you & your claim.

HXDave
    Originally posted by HXDave

Yay! Only 2 years later - success IN FULL!

Monarch have paid us in full including compensation on top for the second flight which was cancelled the day after the ash cloud issue and so could not be considered extraordinary circumstances!

Just took some pressure from a solicitor paid for from our house insurance.

Just waiting for the cheque and to see the letter, not sure who signed it off yet!

That's on top of the insurance payout the Ombudsman forced out of EuropAssistance in March:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3784105

HTH anyone else still waiting...

P.S. Many, many thanks to HXDave, Cityboy, Browntoa, Hugh from Flightmole and everyone else who offered us help and advice. We owe you a beer if ever you are in the Brighton area!

Last edited by Coupon-mad; 19-06-2012 at 5:31 PM.
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Jun 12, 10:58 PM
    • 78,927 Posts
    • 92,730 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Congratulations and well done for sticking with it, CM!

Just shows what a little persistence can achieve. I shall convey your thanks to Cityboy when I see him!! I know he likes real ale but didn't know if they served anything but fizzy lager in Brighton...

Originally posted by Centipede100

My cousin used to run a Real Ale pub and there are loads in Sussex - not everything in Brighton is pink!
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 19-06-2012 at 11:39 PM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 20th Jun 12, 11:00 PM
    • 78,927 Posts
    • 92,730 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Someone posted a stupid message which I reported and it was deleted. But to clarify:

The obligations of an Airline under EC 261/2004 are completely separate from the cover someone may have under their Travel Insurance (if any).

It's not the same claim, one does not offset the other. An Airline cannot deduct the amount a person gets from their Travel Insurance, from the amount the Airline owes in compensation for Denied Boarding. And vice versa. You can and should claim both (just as you would if you got a redundancy payment and also had a policy that would pay out in case of redundancy, that sort of thing, the two payments are separate things).
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 22-06-2012 at 8:59 AM.
  • melbell
    Guess you struggle to read then...I have reported you for your comments.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    Because you don't like being called up to what you really are?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Jun 12, 4:47 PM
    • 78,927 Posts
    • 92,730 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    You really can't read?!
  • theforumking
    I thought a so called "act of god" meant payouts were void?
  • theforumking
    A few years ago i had a flight booked to Egypt from London (i cant remember the airline) but literally on the day i was due to fly that airline went bust - it was all over the news. The flight was ATOL protected and I got about 50% of the cost back about a year later...

However, i was in Asia last year and all flights from HK to Manila were cancelled for 2 days because of a bad storm - never got a penny back as it was an ACT OF GOD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

399Posts Today

4,173Users online

Martin's Twitter