Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 24th Jun 10, 9:20 AM
    • 1,328Posts
    • 964Thanks
    steve1500
    Reply from Ryanair Compensation
    • 24th Jun 10, 9:20 AM
    Reply from Ryanair Compensation 24th Jun 10 at 9:20 AM
    Have just received the following for reclaiming accomodation expenses. I faxed them at the beginning of May. I don't know where they get the idea that you have to have VAT registered receipts, we rented an apartment in Spain & had to extend the rental period - I shall have to put it in the covering letter, if they want to play silly sods, then its off to court we go

I refer to our recent correspondence regarding your disrupted flight(s).

We now invite you to submit your reasonable expense claim along with the original receipted expenses for hotel accommodation food and transport to/from the airport which were incurred whilst waiting to travel on the next operating Ryanair flight.

To access the form click on the below weblink and complete the Expenses Claim Form online, then print and sign the form and return to the address provided, ensuring that you attach all the original VAT registered receipts to support the claim. On receipt of the required documentation, we will work with our insurance assessment team to process valid reasonable claims.
Page 3
  • sockdrawer
    Not if the flight was cancelled due to 'exceptional circumstances'. Such as the ash cloud.

If so, then Airlines are exempt from paying compo.

In my case we are claiming compensation as we had a second flight cancelled whilst stranded - reported to the Airport, only to see it was cancelled. Not on an airspace closure day and not due to the ash cloud (I have that in writing!).
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    So we were delayed from three flights because of the ash cloud, then couldn't get on the next available flight as it was booked up, could we claim compensation for the delay from the next available flight until the one we finally flew back on?
    Saving up 25000/3500 by Jan 1st 2012 by selling my clutter. Remember I'm doing it for Dad.
    Textiles, languages, travel and a lovely home are not stupid things to want. You have immediate family's support.Appreciate what I've achieved so far. Other people's opinion of me is none of my business.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Aug 10, 5:54 PM
    • 78,845 Posts
    • 92,652 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    No, sorry, the Airlines are exempt in those circs.

We are only claiming because we were allowed to rebook another flight which was then cancelled for non-exceptional circs. That's the one we are claiming compo for.

I don't know if we will win our case but it's worth a shot and we feel Monarch need to face a Court case or two; they didn't even give out anything with our rights on it and were rude when we tried to ask for our Right to Care.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 16th Aug 10, 6:10 PM
    • 12,496 Posts
    • 8,140 Thanks
    Caz3121
    So we were delayed from three flights because of the ash cloud, then couldn't get on the next available flight as it was booked up, could we claim compensation for the delay from the next available flight until the one we finally flew back on?
    Originally posted by sockdrawer
    You are not entitled to compensation from the airline due to the delay (although you could try your travel insurance for that)

what you are entitled to (assuming you were rerouted onto a later flight and didn't opt to make your own way home) is reimbursement of accommodation and meals during the delay
  • Rammy
    I have also tried to claim compensation from Ryanair for Ash Cloud delays. I filed my claim and received an emailed letter on 8th July stating:
    "We have received your claim form and wish to confirm that a cheque to the value of GBP 1383.53 has been authorised and will be posted to you in the following 14 working days in full and final settlement of your claim."
    6 weeks later, I am still waiting for a cheque.
    Just for anybody who stayed in a private apartment or villa, we too stayed in a villa and submitted a non-vat invoice that was provided by the villa owners. Payment for that was included in the above amount (if the cheque ever arrives).
    Dave
  • Kirala
    Ryanair - aaaarrrgghhh!!!!
    We have now received a email with letter attached from Ryanair, stating:

"I refer to recent correspondence resting with my email of the 2nd July, 2010.

As you will be aware payments can only be paid against VAT registered receipts.
    Unfortunately your accommodation receipt was not VAT registered and therefore this part of your claim cannot be processed. As a result of an administration error your claim as initially processed was in this respect miscalculated.

In respect to your other expenses which were correctly receipted we can confirm that these have been assessed and passed to our Finance Department for payment and a cheque will be posted to you within the next 25 working days in full final settlement of your claim."

No mention of amount, and another 25 days quoted for payment!! Think I have finally lost all patience with them.
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 21st Aug 10, 12:48 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    steve1500
    Still no acknowledgment from them. Rammy, it would really be good if you could post on here when, if ever, you receive your cheque for staying in teh Villa / apartment. As you will have seen a number of people on teh board have had theirs refused
  • karenmay33
    We have now received a email with letter attached from Ryanair, stating:

"I refer to recent correspondence resting with my email of the 2nd July, 2010.

As you will be aware payments can only be paid against VAT registered receipts.
    Unfortunately your accommodation receipt was not VAT registered and therefore this part of your claim cannot be processed. As a result of an administration error your claim as initially processed was in this respect miscalculated.

In respect to your other expenses which were correctly receipted we can confirm that these have been assessed and passed to our Finance Department for payment and a cheque will be posted to you within the next 25 working days in full final settlement of your claim."

No mention of amount, and another 25 days quoted for payment!! Think I have finally lost all patience with them.
    Originally posted by Kirala
    i booked my accommodation with travel republic, the email print offs did not have any vat numbers on so i rang them asking for the vat number and wrote it on my print offs. we got our email this week saying we are going to be paid out in full within the next 25 working days
  • Jonathan Ford
    Just a quick note to say that I'm in the same situation as many others, in that we stayed in a private villa, the owners of which were unable to provide a VAT receipt.

Ryanair have agreed to pay food costs, but not the accomodation, which came to around 900.

I plan to take some time going over EU261/2004, then I suspect a letter before action.
    • darkblue
    • By darkblue 23rd Aug 10, 6:15 PM
    • 656 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    darkblue
    I've still not had my compensation after sending my form 2 months ago.

Just remember to send it recorded and remember that Dublin is classed as outside of the UK and therefore you will have to use international tracked mail or airsure.
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 23rd Aug 10, 7:17 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    steve1500
    Looks like people are getting to the end of their tether. I have just lifted this straight from Ryanairs website!! http://www.ryanair.com/doc/faqs/EU261_EN.pdf and is dated Dec 2009 he he

3. RIGHT TO CARE
    If you are involuntarily denied boarding or if your flight is cancelled or delayed by more than 2 hours, we will offer you, free of charge:
    a) meals and refreshment vouchers in reasonable relation to the waiting time, as long as it will not further delay the departure of the aircraft
    b) two telephone calls, telex or fax messages or e-mails;
    c) hotel accommodation in cases where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary, or where a stay additional to that intended by you becomes necessary;
    d) transport between the airport and place of accommodation (hotel or other).
    If your flight is delayed as specified under ‘Flight Delays’ above or your elect to be re-routed to your final destination at the earliest opportunity as a result of a flight cancellation, we will offer you items (a) and (b) above. If the new time of departure is reasonably expected as a result of the delay or your being re-routed following a cancellation to at least the day after the original time of departure, we will also offer you items (c) and (d) above. Where it is not feasible for Ryanair to arrange the care set out above, Ryanair will reimburse you for reasonable receipted expenses upon application to: Ryanair Compensation Department, Dublin Airport, Co. Dublin, Ireland.

It is worth noting also that in their own document it does not mention anything about VAT receipts type of accomodation

Ironically I have just received my email bouncing my claim - Remarkably they received it before I sent it
    Last edited by steve1500; 23-08-2010 at 7:38 PM.
    • plj831
    • By plj831 25th Aug 10, 11:05 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    plj831
    Cheque from ryanair received!
    Hi,

you fill in the form, some boxes can be done using the mouse, others you have to use the 'tab' key to get into the box to fill it out. when it's all filled out correctly, you click submit and the form appears on the screen all filled out with the space for signing and the address to post it to. Right click mouse to be able to print page for signing. Make copies as once you exit the page you won't be able to get it back again, if you try it says "this ref./conf. no." has already been used for a claim.

Perdita
    Originally posted by plj831
    Cheque for compensation/accomodation finally arrived, 4 months after original claim. Wasn't for full amount, but better than nothing.
    Perdita
  • ADC
    email from ryanair today saying as I made alternative travel arrangements they do not have to pay for a hotel and a meal the day before I made alternative arrangements. It also said no appeal to this decision. Do not contact them!

I would like to take this further. As a english person can i use the UK small claims court or can I use the irish small claims court.
    Beep Beep
  • stephen_78
    I received the following email from Ryanair today, even though I made it clear in my letter to them that the regulations do not mention that the receipts do not have to be VAT registered :-

"On reviewing your claim I note that the receipt for your accommodation is not VAT registered. In order for your claim to be assessed in full it is necessary for you to submit a VAT registered receipt or alternatively a receipt showing the Company Registered Number. Please note that expenses without itemised VAT registered receipts can not be reimbursed. Credit card receipts and bank/visa statements are not acceptable.We are not laible for alternative transport."

My hotel claim is for 2 nights in Krakow. One night booked through lastminute.com and the other direct with the hotel. The lastminute.com booking actually states that '... the rooms fall into a special VAT scheme called Tour Operator Margin Scheme where VAT invoices are not issued'.

Do the receipts have to be UK VAT registered? I have since found the hotel website where it has the Polish equivalent called NIP (mentions the number 676-22-06-370). Is it worth me sending a letter giving that number but also re-iterating that receipts should be enough?

As for the alternative transport... I wasn't really expecting them to refund that. It would have been nice to have received a small 'good-will' gesture though having subjected myself to a very cheap 24 hour coach journey from Krakow to London, the result of which saved a further 500+ of potential hotel costs for Ryanair given the next available flight home.

Anyone have a recommendation what I should do next?
    • darkblue
    • By darkblue 8th Sep 10, 11:19 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    darkblue
    After submitting my 'final claim' plus receipts - I still haven't received even a confirmation from Ryanair!

However, I'm pretty stumped, as I sent the orignal receipts (as required) but in the process of moving home I've lost all of the photocopies. I've sent 2 faxes but have not to have response.
  • markolsen
    Dont be put off by Ryanair stating that you cannot claim without a VAT receipt - its nothing but a ploy to get you to give up. The EU rules state "a reasonable claim for accommodation", there is no mention of VAT. I have been waiting four months and each time they have attempted to pass me off with official sounding jargon.

I will take them to the small claims court if I have to, but first I will bombard the ombudsman/watchdog etc.

Ryanair are a bunch of hard-balls, but they aint met me yet. Even if I have to wait another 6 months or 6 years, I wont be giving up.

What it may need is some sort of class-action, with multiple claimees taking them to task - then it will fall outside of the small claims system, maybe. I havent looked into it deeply enough (yet).

Dont let em put you off!
  • lizzyjan
    ryanair compensation
    we have been waiting since 16 th may for our compensation sent a letter with receipts to the address we were given at the airport the day our flight was cancelled, then found out about the form so sent that as well, we are fed up waiting with no response so sent email, fax and a letter to day (8th sept) giving them 14 days to pay or going small claims court, see what happens now

Has anyone received any compensation yet
    • plj831
    • By plj831 9th Sep 10, 12:04 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    plj831
    we have been waiting since 16 th may for our compensation sent a letter with receipts to the address we were given at the airport the day our flight was cancelled, then found out about the form so sent that as well, we are fed up waiting with no response so sent email, fax and a letter to day (8th sept) giving them 14 days to pay or going small claims court, see what happens now

Has anyone received any compensation yet
    Originally posted by lizzyjan
    Yes, see above post on 25.08.
  • Kirala
    Cheque received
    Hi all!

Have finally received a cheque from Ryanair today. However it is only for 192.23, when our reasonable claim was for 623.

I know from previous correspondence with them that they have excluded our accomodation as not VAT receipted (not happy to accept this!!), however taking this into account this payment is still way off the mark.

I am reluctant to bank this cheque, in case it would prejudice my claim. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?
    • darkblue
    • By darkblue 9th Sep 10, 12:36 PM
    • 656 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    darkblue
    If you bank the cheque, you have, in essence, accepted their offering of payment.

You could contact them and ask them to reinvestigate the claim and ask what the actual payment was for.

They're absolute chancers and don't deserve to get away with this. Don't let them.
  • lizperry
    still waiting for reply from ryanair
    I haven't had any reply from ryanair since sending in my receipts and claim form by recorded delivery on 28th June. It is well over eight weeks and I haven't heard a thing since. Any advice on how to contact Ryanair - do they have an email address or phone number. I'd appreciate any help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,430Posts Today

7,651Users online

Martin's Twitter