Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 24th Jun 10, 9:20 AM
    • 1,329Posts
    • 965Thanks
    steve1500
    Reply from Ryanair Compensation
    • 24th Jun 10, 9:20 AM
    Reply from Ryanair Compensation 24th Jun 10 at 9:20 AM
    Have just received the following for reclaiming accomodation expenses. I faxed them at the beginning of May. I don't know where they get the idea that you have to have VAT registered receipts, we rented an apartment in Spain & had to extend the rental period - I shall have to put it in the covering letter, if they want to play silly sods, then its off to court we go

I refer to our recent correspondence regarding your disrupted flight(s).

We now invite you to submit your reasonable expense claim along with the original receipted expenses for hotel accommodation food and transport to/from the airport which were incurred whilst waiting to travel on the next operating Ryanair flight.

To access the form click on the below weblink and complete the Expenses Claim Form online, then print and sign the form and return to the address provided, ensuring that you attach all the original VAT registered receipts to support the claim. On receipt of the required documentation, we will work with our insurance assessment team to process valid reasonable claims.
Page 11
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 23rd Mar 12, 9:38 AM
    • 79,154 Posts
    • 92,995 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Whoops this is what I found but it says it is only 'informal guidelines' for applying the regulations:

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passengers/air/doc/2011_ash-cloud-crisis-guidelines-for-interpretation.pdf

''These informal guidelines are aimed at helping the competent national enforcement bodies to fix a common application of (EC) regulation 261/2004 under the very specific and exceptional circumstances directly linked to the eruption of the volcano in Iceland, in order to ensure harmonised enforcement of the Regulation.''

and this bit I see as useful for those who were NOT helped or advised at all and felt they had no choice but to make their own way home:

''6.
    Article 8.1 states, "Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice…” The costs linked to the assistance and the rerouting borne by the passenger in case of lack of direct assistance/rerouting must, in principle, be totally or partially reimbursed by the carrier. However where an air carrier can demonstrate that it has sought to contact a passenger and to provide the assistance required by Article 8, but a passenger has nonetheless made his own assistance and rerouting arrangements, then a NEB may conclude that the air carrier is not responsible for the additional costs the passenger may have incurred, and that reimbursement of the ticket price was implicitly the passenger's choice.''

So when a pax was forced to make their own arrangements where there was a complete lack of direct assistance/rerouting, these Guidelines tell NEBs that in principle, airlines must partially or totally reimburse any 'costs linked'. As I read this, they only made an 'informed choice' if they were given assistance and advice that told them they were making such a choice.

Stand up and be counted, RyanAir, Easyjet, Monarch and others!
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 23-03-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • JasonLVC
    • By JasonLVC 31st Jan 13, 10:37 AM
    • 15,818 Posts
    • 42,492 Thanks
    JasonLVC
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21273666

Latest update, ECJ confirming previous opinion that airlines have a duty of care to passengers.

Potential for additional claims/new claims?
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
  • Kate49
    Volcanic Ash Compensation
    ]

Can you now do an application for cancellation/delay due to the ash cloud even though it was caused by exceptional circumstances? I flew with Vueling (Spanish) to Heathrow and they did get me back after so many days. Can I now claim for this?
    • jamiex
    • By jamiex 3rd Feb 13, 9:49 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    jamiex
    I still have all of my receipts from 2010 and they underpaid us at the time. They did have "in full and final settlement" on the letter they had sent to us, but I've sent an e-mail to request the difference. Probably won't get anything but it's worth asking.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,521Posts Today

6,525Users online

Martin's Twitter