Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
  • Tippytoes
    A friend of mine is in the same situation i.e. owed a substantial refund from VA. They are giving her the runaround as well. For weeks they've told her she'll receive her refund in no more than 2 weeks. With millions of unemployed people out there, you would think VA would employ as many temps as it takes to clear the backlog efficiently. They won't though. They'll defer dishing out reimbursements as long as possible. It wouldn't be so bad if they just came clean, instead of bull*****ing customers.

Just remember how VA has treated you when it comes to booking your next flight. As far as I'm concerned, they can swivel - and they don't actually owe me any money!
    • eslick
    • By eslick 13th Jun 10, 9:49 AM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    eslick
    its gone quiet on the refund front for most airlines, rumour has it that there is another EU meeting on the 24th and they are waiting for the outcome of this.
    • davelewis
    • By davelewis 16th Jun 10, 11:46 AM
    • 390 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    davelewis
    Have just received an e-mail from Virgin Atlantic Customer Services and 'Travelex' regarding my claim (I sent in my claim via e-mail on 28 April 2010).

It asks me to input my bank details via a link - I am a bit suspicious of doing this - although the e-mail does come from eucompensation@fly.virgin.com. and it does have my full name.

Do you think it is safe to enter my bank details - I am always aware of phising scams....

Your advice please......
    • davelewis
    • By davelewis 16th Jun 10, 1:30 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    davelewis
    Quick update guys

I have entered my bank details - when I clicked on the link it had all my details (address, virgin ref etc) so I assume it has to be genuine.

They have offered us £133.50 in compensation. We claimed approx £150 so we are happy to accept the offer. We only had 2 days worth of expenses as virgin paid for the hotel for an extra 7 days and gave us wristbands for 5 days to access the food buffet.

Good luck to all you who are waiting to hear about your claim.
  • agent orange
    I sent off our claim, via post, at the very beginning of May. As of yet, we haven't heard a thing. Does anyone know if there is a phone number I could call to see if thing are moving?

cheers
    • chrisat21
    • By chrisat21 18th Jun 10, 10:57 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    chrisat21
    I sent off our claim, via post, at the very beginning of May. As of yet, we haven't heard a thing. Does anyone know if there is a phone number I could call to see if thing are moving?

cheers
    Originally posted by agent orange
    The tel no I rang is their cust relations - 08448737747.

There's a message to say they hope to deal with all claims sent in before 7th June by the end of July, and any claims after then by the end of August!! What!!! Oh, & we can't speak to anyone in that deaprtment either! Guessing you, like us, stuck it all on a credit card, and now have to pay it, or start paying interest.

We claimed £1000 ish, and heard back last week with an offer, but it was wrong. They said we claimed something on one day - completely wrong, then they missed off something else with no explanation at all. Now can't speak to anyone so have sent back an email to query. Don't hold out much hope it will be dealt with speedily. All we've had back it the confirmation email right at the begininning.

Good luck if you manage to speak to someone - let us know how you get on.

Chris
  • kissmequick
    I have spoken to customer relations twice now. Pretty useless really, apart from apologising and explaining they have had thousands of claims to deal with etc. As you have said, there is no way of speaking to the claims department by phone, as apparently they are too busy processing the claims, fair enough I said, but very frustrating when all you can do is email and then wait for a response which, at the moment doesn't seem to be forthcoming. I am still disputing my claim, as it is over £300 shy of what I claimed for accomodation, and, as I followed their guidance at the time, and was told there was no maximum spend set, I don't see why they cannot refund me in full. I have had contact from Travelex twice now, to register with them to receive the reimbursement offer, but it clearly states that this would be acceptance in full of their offer. Just a case of waiting it out I think.
  • iamamoose
    Well we received a reply today with an offer, but it was UKP240 short of the claimed amount (around 1400) with no explanation. The helpline tells you to reply to the email address if you query the offer; hopefully it won't be another 6 weeks for them to respond.
  • kissmequick
    Well we received a reply today with an offer, but it was UKP240 short of the claimed amount (around 1400) with no explanation. The helpline tells you to reply to the email address if you query the offer; hopefully it won't be another 6 weeks for them to respond.
    Originally posted by iamamoose
    It's been 5 weeks since I emailed them disputing their offer, no response so far. I sent another a few days ago. When I spoke to their customer relations, they said that the priority was to deal with new claims, i.e. anyone disputing their claim is at the bottom of the list.
  • iamamoose
    So they sent us the explanation today (I expect we just got the Travelex mail a day early), and the difference is because we claimed £89.00 a night for accomodation, but they have a maximum of £70.00 for Orlando. Quite how they can set a maximum when they told us we were 'on our own' for finding accomodation contrary to EU regulations is something I guess we'll have to dispute with them :-(

Anyone else here stay in Orlando and get a different maximum quoted?
    • davelewis
    • By davelewis 23rd Jun 10, 10:24 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    davelewis
    Just to keep you all updated, I accepted the virgin compensation offer on 16 June 2010 and the money was in my account today (23 June 2010).
  • kissmequick
    Good news
    I received an email from Virgin yesterday, saying they have reviewed my claim and have now agreed to pay accomodation costs in full, so I'm very pleased and hope this gives others some hope. I have been advised to use the original Travelex link they sent me, which should be updated to show the new amount, at the moment it still shows the old amount so I'll give them a few days to update it.
  • telly-addict
    Waiting, waiting
    Glad to see you got your money back kissmequick. Just re-read this thread to see that you were stuck in NY and you had a lot of money at stake too. I think Virgin will be trying to save money by 'trying it on' with a reduced claim in the first instance, knowing that people have been waiting some time (understatement).
    Many thanks to everyone that has posted so far, it is good to know how everyone is getting on. We are waiting for £1800 from 15 extra nights. Hate to think what they are going to offer us!
    Last edited by telly-addict; 25-06-2010 at 6:16 PM. Reason: Re-read thread.
  • mrnick1234567
    Disputing Virgin Atlantic Cmpensation Claims
    Hello has anyone had any luck disputing compensation claims with Virgin?

We got stuck in Japan for 8 days. We gave the rep the name and price of our hotel on the day we were meant to fly, and she told us it was fine to stay there. She also confirmed they would pay for all meals (excluding alcohol).

Our claim email has just come back and we are £550 short on hotels alone.

Does anyone have any hints on the best cause of action on this? If we accept the initial amount they offered of £1000, will that jeopardise any future payout, shouud I reject the initial offer?

I read Cityboy's helpful information on the food situation so I will try quoting the EU rules.

Thanks
    Nick
    Last edited by mrnick1234567; 27-06-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: add extra point
  • telly-addict
    Hi mrnick1234567,
    My suggestion would be to reject the offer. If you take the money, you have accepted their offer as full and final payment so you won't get any more.
    From kissmequick's story (please correct if wrong), it is definitely worth rejecting the offer if you are out of pocket. They had to pay NY hotel prices at short notice. I would imagine that Japan is horribly expensive to stay in!!

Presumably you have the Rep's name to support your complaint?

Have they tried to apply a cap per night to your hotel accommodation?
    I think they are trying to save on every claim. One of the ways is to just reduce each person's claim in the hope you will take some cash now.
    I would wait longer and state that you were following the rules as explained at the time. There is a lot of 'moving the goalposts' by Virgin.

We still haven't heard anything and we sent our claim in on 9 May.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 27th Jun 10, 3:21 PM
    • 9,016 Posts
    • 14,885 Thanks
    jackieblack
    re - Virgin Atlantic
    Some friends of ours who submitted their claim a week after we did ours have had theirs paid while we are still waiting to hear.
    They're obviously not dealing with them by date order of reciept of claim - guess it's pot luck?
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4 (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    2019 YTD £1223.85 (£750 offset), Dec £50

Everything will be alright in the end so, if itís not yet alright, it means itís not yet the end
  • telly-addict
    Leaving the tricky ones till last?
    Or is there a link between amount claimed/number of days and delay in being sorted?
    We were stuck an extra 15 days - how about you jackieblack?

I suspect they take a look at the 40-odd invoices we have attached and decide to pick another one!
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 27th Jun 10, 7:47 PM
    • 9,016 Posts
    • 14,885 Thanks
    jackieblack
    (Only!) 8 days for us (in LA) our friends were in Florida, they didn't get home until a week after us and claimed much more than we have
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4 (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    2019 YTD £1223.85 (£750 offset), Dec £50

Everything will be alright in the end so, if itís not yet alright, it means itís not yet the end
  • mrnick1234567
    Sadly I didn't get the name of the Virgin Japan rep, just the date and time of the call.

I'm not sure if they have capped our hotels, the email is frustrating as there is no breakdown of what was paid other then a total for hotel and meals.

The mail quotes:

"Our assessment of reasonable costs is based on a comparison of the receipts you have provided against a 'passenger care evaluation' we conducted in April 2010 for each city we fly into. This evaluation researched the cost of mid range accommodation, meals and transport costs, and took into consideration local star ratings, standards, and cost of living. The exchange rate used is the IATA rate, taking an average of the last 5 days in the month."

Nick

Hi mrnick1234567,
    My suggestion would be to reject the offer. If you take the money, you have accepted their offer as full and final payment so you won't get any more.
    From kissmequick's story (please correct if wrong), it is definitely worth rejecting the offer if you are out of pocket. They had to pay NY hotel prices at short notice. I would imagine that Japan is horribly expensive to stay in!!

Presumably you have the Rep's name to support your complaint?

Have they tried to apply a cap per night to your hotel accommodation?
    I think they are trying to save on every claim. One of the ways is to just reduce each person's claim in the hope you will take some cash now.
    I would wait longer and state that you were following the rules as explained at the time. There is a lot of 'moving the goalposts' by Virgin.

We still haven't heard anything and we sent our claim in on 9 May.
    Originally posted by telly-addict
  • mrnick1234567
    Great, thanks for the advice CityBoy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,011Posts Today

7,744Users online

Martin's Twitter