Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • smartbear1
    • By smartbear1 18th May 10, 12:09 PM
    • 193Posts
    • 85Thanks
    smartbear1
    Important Claim Info - Ryanair & Monarch
    • 18th May 10, 12:09 PM
    Important Claim Info - Ryanair & Monarch 18th May 10 at 12:09 PM
    Just had some success with refunds after I got stuck in Spain last week and some info that might help others to claim.

I had tickets with Ryanair and Monarch. The Ryanair refund system would not work for me. i just got an ok to submit message but i received no confirmation of submission after various attempts.

Try calling Ryanair (I know its 10p per min, but I was on the phone for only 5 mins) and ask for a refund on your card. I'm expecting mine to go through tomorrow according to the customer service rep.

I also checked the fax number for EU261 expenses claims (for my hotel and food costs whilst I was delayed) the customer service rep told me to fax the form (which you can download from ryanair website) to 00353 1812 1676. This number is different to the one on the form. The rep said it was better to fax the form to the number she supplied.

Same system with Monarch. They ask you to send an email to volcanic ash claims department. I got email confirmations but no one replies, so I just called and they have done a refund of my flight over the telephone. However, they were uncertain about my claim for alternative transportation and suggested I wait until a form arrives from the claims department which might take 28 days.

I'm going to try a Section 75 credit card claim if I get no joy from either Ryanair or Monarch for the alternative travel and expenses that eventually got me home.

My travel insurance company (Fortis) which I got free with A&L online account are honouring volcanic ash cancellations and I'm now waiting for the airlines to send written confirmation of cancellations so that I can put in a delay claim.

The message is do not be put off by the airlines web info that states you must send email, etc. Make the call, because it worked out cheaper than the interest rates on my credit card for all the bills I racked up whilst I was stuck.

My advice is not to travel at the moment, if you can cancel and get yer money back.
Page 2
  • reflector1
    smart bear I think I may be in a similar situation - still struggling with a Ryanair compensation claim. Please do not give up - this is no doubt exactly what they hope for.
    • smartbear1
    • By smartbear1 10th Aug 10, 9:47 AM
    • 193 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    smartbear1
    Still battling with this Ryanair claim. It's been 12 weeks now and when i phone ryanair, I'm advised staff are unable to advise on volcanic ash claims.

Even then when you try to get through to anyone, you get cut off due to what they describe as exceptionally high volume of calls.

If Martin Lewis, you are reading this please can you have a word with Ryanair and ask them to provide a telephone number for the volcanic ash claims department? It's all fax numbers and no one responds to letters either sent by fax or recorded post.

Spoke to ATUC this morning and they can't supprt my claim because it happened in another EU country, so they are referring my complaint to spanish aviation authority and they will be in touch with both me and Ryanair. At least ATUC are going to send all the contact details for the spanish authority. I'm not sure this is good news?? Has anyone else had this response from ATUC?
    Former MSE user - I don't post on MSE anymore, or respond to PMs. I would like to be able to officially set profile to "former user" which would be helpful as it seems you can never leave MSE - just choose not to use it!
    • eslick
    • By eslick 10th Aug 10, 10:10 AM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    eslick
    same response from the AUC for our issue, they passed that on to the Dutch Enforcement Body, which I had already contacted, could take them 6 months to complete the investigation our airline only lets you send them electonic messages through their website, cant talk to them or reply to them only offering you one nights expenses instead of the 8 we are due. They have even told us their offer is final and they wont reply again even though they told the media they would pay in full
    • melb
    • By melb 10th Aug 10, 10:22 AM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 983 Thanks
    melb
    when's "Watchdog" back on air?
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 10th Aug 10, 12:16 PM
    • 1,327 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    steve1500
    I'm still waiting to hear that they have bounced my claim because don't have VAT receipts was in rented, that way I can happily fax the letter before action and trot off to the small claims court. Didn't O'leary say about 2 months ago that all this would be sorted out by the end of July?

It's not Watchdog you want, which is back on in the Autumn but Rogue Traders.....
    • smartbear1
    • By smartbear1 10th Aug 10, 9:00 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    smartbear1
    Rogue Traders sounds accurate to me!

Sorry to hear others are struggling too.

Eslick you've made me think this is worth pursuing in small claims court.

A mate has advised me that Ryanair probably won't turn up to defend and I would most likely get the money that's owed me. I'm going to look into what i need to do and get the ball rolling.
    Former MSE user - I don't post on MSE anymore, or respond to PMs. I would like to be able to officially set profile to "former user" which would be helpful as it seems you can never leave MSE - just choose not to use it!
  • Seisouso
    I think we just have to be patient... Sent the print out form with my recepits about a month ago and got this response yesterday:

I acknowledge receipt of your letter received in our office on the 12th July, 2010.

Ryanair sincerely apologise for the cancellation of your recent flight which was caused by the closure of the controlled airspace in Europe following the volcanic eruption in Iceland. As you will be aware this mass disruption was completely outside the control of the airline.

We have received your claim form and wish to confirm that this has been assessed and passed to our Finance Department for payment and a cheque will be posted to you within the next 25 working days in full final settlement of your claim.

Please be advised that alcoholic beverages/parking/prepaid expenses/alternative travel costs are not covered under the EU261/2004 and will not be reimbursed. Expenses not covered under Regulation EU261 should be claimed directly from your travel insurer.

Yours sincerely,

For and on Behalf of
    RYANAIR LIMITED

So hopefully I will get it in a month or so...
  • mookychook
    Don't hold your breath!! I received that letter on an email download on the 9th July confirming a refund cheque would be posted to us.......'in the following 14 working days in full and final settlement of your claim'

It is now the 17th of August and so far no cheque has arrived, so who knows when it will ever get here, I have read on a seperate forum link that someone did actually get through via fax and received a further response advising that they have had 'delays' caused in their finance department and cheques would be issued in...the next couple of weeks!!!

The letters do not have any phone number (no surprise) but mine is signed by Aoife Shanahan, Customer Services if that is any help in getting anyone to the correct department who attempts to ring Ryanair GOODLUCK!

Getting stuck on hols was the first inconvenience, the second one has been caused by Ryanair, The excess money we had to spend during our prolonged stay was saved to pay for this months car repairs and MOT on my very old M reg car, it was not excess cash floating around in my bank account and now I am unable to book my car in, my only hope is that this cheque arrives sooner rather than later to allow me to keep my car on the road.

I am sure that Mr O'Leary is of the opinion that we (Ryanair passengers) are just out to make a quick buck but this was money I depended on, it may be just a drop in the ocean for him and maybe he thinks he is being rather clever and that a majority of customers will just give up trying to reclaim but the refund delays are upsetting for some of us managing on an average wage where every penny counts and spent money we didn't have because we had to eat and had no choice.

Thank goodness that it was still low season so not fully booked up as we were still stranded when incoming flights started to arrive and Thomson Alfresco were generous enough to allow us to stay for the duration of our delay without any extra charge for our self catering accomodation and we were not left with an even more expensive dilemma, this lifted a huge amount of stress from our shoulders especially when you are away with 3 young children (I couldn't fault the help and information from the reps, they have shown us that good customer care is a far more effective form of positive advertising for a company as opposed to Ryanair)

Also fortunate that we had a credit card with us to pay for our food expenses, we bought everything from supermarkets and did not dine out to save ourself as much debt from the experience but Ryanair has still managed to mess up our current plans by dragging this saga out far longer than was needed.

As someone has already mentioned I wonder if Martin Lewis would be interested in contacting Ryanair as he seems to have far more impact on making things happen, what is there to lose? thousands of unhappy Ryanair passengers obviously isn't enough to make them behave lawfully, Shame on them
  • Seisouso
    You were right to tell me not to hold my breath. Just received the SAME e-mail (I received the last one about a month ago) so looks like I'll be waiting another 25 working days... Joyous
    • smartbear1
    • By smartbear1 18th Sep 10, 9:08 AM
    • 193 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    smartbear1
    Martin please help sort out Ryanair?
    Recieved letter from AUC today with a copy of a letter they've sent to Ryanair asking them to reply to my claim. No emails from Ryanair only cheap flight offers which drive me mad under the circumstances.

AUC sent me the contacts for National Enforcement Bodies. I have to write to Spain. AUC letter reads:

"It appears to us that your complaint falls within the scope of Regualation EC261/2004. But as your disrupted flight was not departing from a UK airport I am afriad that we are not in a position to help you with your complaint. If when you get the airline's reply, or if the do not reply, you wis to prusue your complaint, you would need to contact the National Enforcement Body in the EU Member State from which your flight departed."

Looks like I'm letter writing again this weekend. I talked to CAB and they said I need to follow all due processes before pursuing in small claims cos it will strengthen my case.

Martin sort this out please with Ryanair?? I'm still paying interest on this nightmare trip and if I could just get my expenses money back it would help with the burden.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 18th Sep 10, 3:15 PM
    • 78,805 Posts
    • 92,598 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    QUOTE smartbear1:
    Looks like I'm letter writing again this weekend. I talked to CAB and they said I need to follow all due processes before pursuing in small claims cos it will strengthen my case.

You don't have to follow any processes which are in fact unrelated to the nitty gritty of reclaiming your money. The Court will just want to see that you have followed the 'due process' of Ryanair's Claim/complaints procedure (which you've done) and then that you've issued (ideally by recorded delivery) a Letter before Action giving them a chance to settle before you take it to Court.

If you paid for your flights by credit card it would also be worth a shot at this stage to make a claim under section 75 of the CCA (see Martin's article) which is the stage I am at with my claim against Monarch.

I have legal advice on my house insurance and the section 75 issue was one thing they said to try before Court (not to follow up my complaint made months ago to the AUTC as that's a separate reporting issue only, for the sole purpose of dropping the airline in it, so to speak).

Google 'Letter before Claim' to find a Which? example and also the HM Courts guidelines on pre-Court protocols. The HM Courts website explains what you have to do pretty clearly.

You don't have to exhaust the avenue of reporting the airline to the Enforcement body because that's a side issue which is not part of getting your money back anyway. Neither the AUTC nor the Spanish version can get money back for individual claimants AFAIK, all they can do is fine airlines (let's hope they do fine RyanAir and Monarch, among others).

I am not saying don't report them - do! - but your attention should mostly be on your own claim first and foremost. Airlines are hoping if they send people up enough blind alleys and make enough excuses that people will lose momentum and not complete their claims. IMHO the advice you get from the CAB is generally hit and miss on most issues, some even think you should pay a private parking ticket (see my sig!).

Focus first on a section 75 claim if you paid by credit card, and a Letter before Claim to Ryanair.

Last edited by Coupon-mad; 18-09-2010 at 3:22 PM.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • smartbear1
    • By smartbear1 25th Sep 10, 9:38 AM
    • 193 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    smartbear1
    Thanks disney for your helpful post.

Things have changed since I made the post. Got an email from Ryanair, which responded to AUC letter with an apology and the following info:

Please be advised that we are in a position to reimburse any reasonable receipted expenses... incurred from 08th May 2010 until the date.... chose to make an alternative travel arrangement.

Please find attached a claim form to be completed in full, signed and submitted to Ryanair along with original Vat registered receipts.

Good news, but also sad news I have to make the claim again. Sick of filling in forms! Also no mention of the confirmation of flight delay which would allow me to claim on travel insurance. It does look hopeful if they are asking for receipts this time.

However, it states on the form they will only consider expenses for accomodation in 2/3 star hotel. The hotel I stayed in was 4 star (but it was the original hotel I stayed in before the disruption) and I will need to point out in my letter I have a disablity and had a good realtionship with the hotel who understood my needs.

To make matters confusing they also sent another email which sent me to an online version of the form. Pointless really as I don't trust the online system at all.

I'm busy composing all the info they require and will send by registered post. I'm hopeful I will get a result and will keep everyone posted.
    • smartbear1
    • By smartbear1 29th Oct 10, 11:23 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    smartbear1
    Thanks City and good news today as Ryanair sent me the following email:

Ryanair sincerely apologise for the cancellation of your flight which was caused by the closure of the controlled airspace in Europe following the volcanic eruption in Iceland. As you will be aware this mass disruption was completely outside the control of the airline.

We have received your claim form and wish to confirm that this has been assessed and passed to our Finance Department for payment and a cheque will be posted to you within the next 30 working days in full final settlement of your claim.

Please be advised that non Vat Registered Receipts, alcoholic beverages/parking/prepaid expenses/alternative travel costs are not covered under the EU261/2004 and will not be reimbursed.

Expenses not covered under Regulation EU261 should be claimed directly from your travel insurer.

Result! But they haven't said how much they will pay. I wil let everyone know what the settlement figure is when they make a decision. I'm hoping its everything or close to what I shelled out.
    • smartbear1
    • By smartbear1 7th Nov 10, 9:35 AM
    • 193 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    smartbear1
    Travel insurers finally sent me a cheque for 100 yesterday for the delay.

Insurance cost me nothing came free with bank account.

No sign of the promised cheque from Ryanair yet. I think they will take the full 30 days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

545Posts Today

5,099Users online

Martin's Twitter