Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dug123
    • By dug123 15th May 10, 4:11 PM
    • 289Posts
    • 287Thanks
    dug123
    Italy fines Ryanair (2.5 Million) over volcano ash 'failings'
    • 15th May 10, 4:11 PM
    Italy fines Ryanair (2.5 Million) over volcano ash 'failings' 15th May 10 at 4:11 PM
    BBC Website link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8684683.stm

About time and I can see some repercussions.
Page 2
  • Mr Lahey
    I hope they get fined by every eu state and go bankrupt. That would teach them.
    Well obviously O'leary would still be a multi millionaire, flights would either get dearer or just not be there, and the compensation wouldn't be paid out, but it would teach him a lesson that you can't mess with the eu.
    Originally posted by mikey72
    Tell that to Greece.
  • mikey72
    The fines will pay for a few more MEP's first class flights as well, so another reason to hope the system works.
    Last edited by mikey72; 15-05-2010 at 8:34 PM.
  • headcone
    Tell that to Greece.
    Originally posted by Mr Lahey
    Are you on drugs?

If not could you explain what you mean?
    • dug123
    • By dug123 15th May 10, 9:30 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    dug123
    I hope they get fined by every eu state and go bankrupt. That would teach them.
    Well obviously O'leary would still be a multi millionaire, flights would either get dearer or just not be there, and the compensation wouldn't be paid out, but it would teach him a lesson that you can't mess with the eu.
    But why would the flights get dearer? I thought that there was some kind of supply and demand graph and where they cross is the price that suppliers are happy to supply at and consumers are willing to pay?

If you think that Ryanair need an excuse to find any other ways of advertising flights at 29.99 with lots hidden costs then you must be living in cloud cuckoo land. If Ryanair could sell tickets at 29.99 with billions of pounds of hidden costs surely they would do that anyway?

In fact they do!!

My point is that if I had to pay extra insurance to cover volcanic ash type problems then there is a good chance that I would understand this, but we all assume that the costs are included in the prices which the "multi millionaire O'leary" charges because he is a whizz kid business man and our Lord and Saviour and we would assume that he is fully aware of EU directives which appertain to the business in which he claims to be God.

Or perhaps he is too busy finding loopholes where he can charge us an extra 3 (per person, per flight, per route, each way !) for using the reading lights on his planes?
  • mikey72
    No. I think he should be fined out of existence to show him the eu are the bosses, and if they pass a law there should be a punitive response when it is broken. Then premium carriers like BA could go back to the old pricing structures across all routes unopposed.
  • yer_maw
    I was there in milan last week and the woman actually laughed at me when i asked what compensation i'll be getting, even though the european rules were up clearly on the board. Plus they shut the 1 a min call centre while this was goin on, scandalous.

There is nowhere on the website to claim any of this back still. Its not just the hotel, its the airport transfers and the fact i flew to an airport miles away that bugs me.

The rules are the rules, doesnt matter what the price is. 2m fine, i bet they are still going to duck this.
  • nico26
    Ok Ryanair flights are at times cheap.Not always but great for people who can nab the 2p and go at anytime with hand luggage for a few days.break.I'm sure lots of people have been place they would not normally have ventured to. But a lot of people who use those flights at times cant afford to pay higher fares and those are the vunrable ones.Those who dont have the credit cards and the extra income to cover themselves for this instance. Being left high and dry like that must have been a nightmare. Ok this was extreme circumstances but a little care and compassion toward customers goes a long way.

.Personally I try to avoid using them now but in Scotland we dont have a lot of choice. I find at times Ba can work out cheaper than Ryanair.

M.O'Leary has been leaving passengers stranded for years and getting away with it. Ive been stranded twice before with them. They did nothing at all to help anyone.Weren't interested.Just stand in a line and rebook the next flight. Some had days to wait for days for a new flight. Maybe this will be a lesson to him and others.

Hope KLM and Air France are next.
    Last edited by nico26; 16-05-2010 at 2:18 AM.
  • Mr Lahey
    Im going to show you something about the 'hidden charges'

I booked a flight to Pisa with Ryanair, i received this email after booking (i have selected the main bit)

ONLINE CHECK-IN
    YOU MUST CHECK-IN ONLINE AND PRINT YOUR BOARDING PASS FOR PRESENTATION AT BOTH AIRPORT SECURITY AND AT THE BOARDING GATE.

Any passenger failing to present their online boarding pass at airport security or at the boarding gate will be charged a Boarding Card Re-issue Penalty of 40/40 per person/per one way flight at the airport self service kiosk or ticket desk. This facility is available up to 40 minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure.
    IMPORTANT All NON EU/EEA citizens must have their travel documents checked and online boarding pass stamped at the Ryanair Visa/Document Check Desk before going through airport security.
    We recommend that passengers who are checking in baggage arrive at the airport at least 2 hours prior to the scheduled departure time.
    No changes can be made to the passenger name, flight date/time/route, once online check-in has taken place.
    AIRPORT SELF SERVICE KIOSK AND BAG DROP DEADLINES:
    All Airport Self Service Kiosks and Bag Drop desks open 2 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure time and close strictly 40 minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure time.

CHECKED BAGGAGE:
    Each passenger is permitted to check- in up to a maximum of 2 bags (each bag is permitted a maximum weight of 15 kilos) subject to the payment of the applicable checked baggage fees. Checked baggage can be reserved online at the time of booking or via a Ryanair call centre up to 4 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure (subject to call centre opening hours) or up to 40 minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure time at the airport.

No pooling or sharing of baggage allowances is permitted, even within a party travelling on the same reservation. Each checked bag is permitted a maximum 15kgs allowance. In the event that you are travelling with 2 checked bags please be aware that no pooling of individual checked bag allowance is permitted (each bag is permitted a maximum weight of 15 kilos).
    Any passenger exceeding their 15kg personal checked baggage allowance per bag will be charged the prevailing fee on the day of travel. (click here for details). http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES

There is no CHECKED/CABIN baggage allowance for infants. However, one fully collapsible pushchair per child may be carried free of charge. Additional infant equipment such as car/booster seats and travel cots may be carried in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance. Infant equipment (car/booster seats and travel cots) can be added to your booking online at a discounted rate of 15/15 per item/per one way flight or at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre, the standard rate of 35/35 per item/per one way flight. These items can be reserved via the Manage My Booking section on the homepage https://www.bookryanair.com/SkySales/FRManageBooking.aspx

Any infant equipment weighing over the 20 kilos allowance will be charged for the excess at the applicable excess baggage rate per kilo on the day of travel. (click here for details). http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES
    MOBILITY EQUIPMENT - is carried free of charge.
    There is no CHECKED baggage allowance associated with the purchase of an extra seat for the carriage of items such as a wedding dress, musical instruments etc. or if an extra comfort seat is purchased for a large passenger.
    If you wish to review your flight booking online to see what services you have already purchased - please click on the link below and fill in the required details to retrieve your booking online. From this link you can add a checked bag, priority boarding, sports and infant equipment to your booking. These services can only be added to your flight booking prior to checking in online. https://www.bookryanair.com/SkySales/FRManageBooking.aspx
    CABIN BAGGAGE:
    The following cabin baggage restrictions apply per person (no infant allowance):
    Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm* is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptops, shop purchases, camera etc). MUST be carried within your permitted 1 piece of cabin baggage). IMPORTANT - Extra/oversized cabin baggage will be refused at the boarding gate, or where available, placed in the hold of the aircraft for a fee of 35/35. If you are unsure, check at the Bag Drop desk before going through security.

There is no CABIN baggage allowance associated with the purchase of an extra seat for the carriage of items such as a wedding dress, musical instruments etc. or if an extra comfort seat is purchased for a large passenger

*Imperial measurements for cabin baggage (21 x 15x 7)

Then i received an email 2 week prior to travel, telling me how i MUST check in online to avoid the fee and again explaining the baggage rules.

Then i received another email 1 week prior to travel telling me how if i haven't already i MUST check in online and explaining rules on baggage.

Then 4 days prior to travel i received the following email:

You are shortly booked to travel on a Ryanair flight (your flight details are detailed above).

Please note the following important information regarding cabin baggage:

Strictly one item of cabin baggage is permitted per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (your handbag, briefcase, laptop, shop purchases, camera etc. must be carried in your 1 permitted piece of cabin baggage).

Click here for further information

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=bag&quest=cabinbaggageallowance

IMPORTANT - If you arrive at the boarding gate with more than one item of cabin baggage or if the item exceeds the maximum permitted dimensions or weight, we reserve the right to either refuse carriage of the item or where available airport staff may charge a fee of Euro35/GBP 35 to check the bag into the hold of the aircraft. If you are unsure if your cabin bag complies with our maximum permitted cabin bag weight and dimensions, please check with the staff at the Bag Drop Desk, before going through security.

Cabin baggage must contain no prohibited items click below for details

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=bag&quest=prohibiteditems

If you wish to review your flight booking online to see what services you have already purchased - please click on the link below and fill in the required details to retrieve your booking online.

From this link you can add a checked bag, priority boarding, infant and sports equipment to your booking.

https://www.bookryanair.com/SkySales/FRManageBooking.aspx?culture=EN-GB&pos=SBFORM

Thank you for flying with Ryanair and we wish you a pleasant flight.

Then, 2 days prior to travel i received yet another email explaining that i MUST check in online and yet again explaining the only ID accepted and also reminding me of the check in times etc also, again reiterating the baggage policy.

Now lets look at the website:
    Upon booking you are faced with the options to board first or get insurance. Both are very clear.
    I went through with the dummy booking and the price remained the same throughout.
    When i came to pay i was advised that to avoid CC Fees i could use a prepaid Mastercard (which i have)

So, where are all these hidden charges? And just how does Ryanair rip people off?

You would have to be pretty thick, and i'm talking in the lowest percentage of the UK population to not have checked in online, or to carry a bag bigger/heavier than the restrictions or to turn up late (unless of course it is beyond your control)
    You see, Ryanair make things clear, unfortunately cheap flights attracts chavs and related ilk who by definition are a bit slow mentally. So when you discard all the emails etc warning you to check in etc you then proceed to blast Ryanair for their hidden charges or dirty tricks. The reality is if you had half a braincell you would have had a fault free flight like the majority of people.
  • Incapuppy
    You see, Ryanair make things clear, unfortunately cheap flights attracts chavs and related ilk who by definition are a bit slow mentally. .
    Originally posted by Mr Lahey
    Dear Mr Lahey

I'm a brainy chav - who should I fly with?

Thanking you in anticipation etc.
    • dug123
    • By dug123 16th May 10, 10:19 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    dug123
    [QUOTE=Mr Lahey;32863667]So, where are all these hidden charges? And just how does Ryanair rip people off?

If you look at the Ryanair website and book From Liverpool - Fuerteventura on Weds 2nd June the advertised price is 59.99 - 25% = 44.99

Actually it is 83.70 with online book in and fees.

If I buy a TV from Argos with free delivery I would not be happy with an email telling me that I had to pay 5 for a box to put it in and 50p for a bag to pack the remote in even if they took the Ryanair route and put the hidden costs in some terms and conditions part of their website (and dont forget the 20 charge because I do not have a debit card from the bank of nowhereland to pay with !).

Your problem is that because Ryanair have gradually put these extras onto their advertised prices you now think it is the norm.

As you are aware hopefully soon there will be legislation where these rip off companies have got to advertise using prices which accurately reflect what you pay.

You may have the time to spend reading every term and condition of every purchase you make and pouring over the small print in case you have missed a hidden charge, but when I see a price for goods or services advertised. That is the price I expect to pay!
    Is that so unreasonable?

Booking with Ryanair is a game that allows Geeks like you to gloat over the fact you did not get ripped off, whereas a lot of reasonable people do get ripped off.

Does this give you a warm inner glow?
  • mikey72

If you look at the Ryanair website and book From Liverpool - Fuerteventura on Weds 2nd June the advertised price is 59.99 - 25% = 44.99

Actually it is 83.70 with online book in and fees.
    Originally posted by dug123

Again, complete rip off, I used to fly Birmingham to Paris in the 80's, about 250 with BA in the 80's, but premium service.
    Since then people like Ryanair have brought an Aldi style to what should be a Marks and Spencer foodhall.
    Queueing at tills, buying carrier bags, no baskets only trollies, and food at a quarter of the price if not less.
    He should be forced to used a premium business model, where he allows for spare capacity on all planes, every customer with a maximum baggage allowance, free food and drinks etc.
    Air travel is no place for a budget service.
    If O'learey gets enough fines off enough eu countries, and if they follow through to all the others companies as posters on here want, we may see avaiation back to how it used to be before all these poor service cheap flights came in.
    Last edited by mikey72; 16-05-2010 at 10:45 AM.
  • mikey72
    In fact I see we're closing airspace again today, so after another round we may get what we want and see the end of budget carriers soon.
    • dug123
    • By dug123 16th May 10, 11:05 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    dug123
    Again, complete rip off, I used to fly Birmingham to Paris in the 80's, about 250 with BA in the 80's, but premium service.
    Since then people like Ryanair have brought an Aldi style to what should be a Marks and Spencer foodhall.
    Queueing at tills, buying carrier bags, no baskets only trollies, and food at a quarter of the price if not less.
    He should be forced to used a premium business model, where he allows for spare capacity on all planes, every customer with a maximum baggage allowance, free food and drinks etc.
    Air travel is no place for a budget service.
    If O'learey gets enough fines off enough eu countries, and if they follow through to all the others companies as posters on here want, we may see avaiation back to how it used to be before all these poor service cheap flights came in.
    So if it is such a bargain why cannot they advertise a genuine price instead off racking all the costs up as extras?
  • mikey72
    So if it is such a bargain why cannot they advertise a genuine price instead off racking all the costs up as extras?
    Originally posted by dug123
    That's how the pile it high sell it cheap works.
    I'm with you on this, fines, closure, and back to a one price fits all for me as well, with everything costed in for all seats, based on a partial occupancy.
  • Bob the Saver
    I'm just off to one of our local airports here in the south of France to collect my wife off a Ryanair flight from the UK. She popped back to see her mum for a few days for the cost of a decent bottle of wine in the UK. We've used them hundreds of times with no complaints. I was sat on a plane at Stansted on the morning of the first ash cloud, we didn't take off and the flight was cancelled. I didn't blame Ryanair, it wasn't their volcano and they had no choice in the matter, air traffic control stopped them flying. It's a volcano - no person or company is to blame.
    However the more of you people who say they won't fly with Ryanair the more bargains for us. I've done around 50 flights in the last 6 moths alone and I can tell you Ryanair is the most reliable airline I use from the point of punctuality.
    Once you're in the air one short-haul flight is much like another apart from the fact you may have to pay for your food. Personally I can manage to last a whole two hours without the need to eat so that doesn't bother me. I don't need a small screen in front of me because I can read. The fact that I can read also enables me to book using their website without ever having a problem. My ability to spell my own name also helps, I am always amazed how many people claim Ryanair are this that or the other because they can't do that bit.
    Anyway I must go, can't keep her waiting.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 16th May 10, 11:27 AM
    • 3,092 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    bagand96
    If I buy a TV from Argos
    by dug123
    The bigger question is, if you buy a TV from Argos, does that make you the aforementioned

chavs and related ilk who by definition are a bit slow mentally.
    by Mr Lahey
    ??
  • mikey72
    And would you buy the Alba, then complain to everyone when it wasn't the Sony.
    • dug123
    • By dug123 16th May 10, 11:39 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    dug123
    The bigger question is, if you buy a TV from Argos, does that make you the aforementioned

??
    Originally posted by bagand96
    So, do only Chavs buy TV's from Argos?

An example is an example.

If I do not agree with someone I would not call them slow mentally.

This says so much more about you than me.
    • dug123
    • By dug123 16th May 10, 11:42 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    dug123
    And would you buy the Alba, then complain to everyone when it wasn't the Sony.

If I ordered the Ryanair Sony and received the Ryanair Alba (as detailed in small print on page 5 of the terms and conditions just before all the hidden costs) then yes I would.
    • dug123
    • By dug123 16th May 10, 11:51 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    dug123
    So just to summarize, certain people on this forum believe that because Ryanair fly them cheaply around Europe they have the right to Disregard EU regulations and leave passangers stranded away from home without food or accommodation.

Well I believe these people are wrong (sorry, me and Italy!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,388Posts Today

6,179Users online

Martin's Twitter