Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 15th Apr 10, 11:03 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Volcanic ash cloud grounds UK flights: your rights
    • 15th Apr 10, 11:03 AM
    MSE News: Volcanic ash cloud grounds UK flights: your rights 15th Apr 10 at 11:03 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Hundreds of thousands of passengers face massive disruption as thousands of flights remain grounded ..."

Read the full story:

Update 20 April, 7pm: Due to the fast-moving nature of this crisis, we've written the new Q&A guide above. See the original Volcanic ash MSE News story published last week.

Update 05 May, 12pm: With further flight cancellations today, see the Iceland volcano causes further disruption MSE News story.
    Last edited by MSE Guy; 05-05-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Page 2
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th Apr 10, 10:17 AM
    • 39,649 Posts
    • 163,830 Thanks
    silvercar
    Hello,

I have got a holiday coming up next week and starting to get worried.

We've booked Aberdeen - LGW with Flybe, and it looks like they will offer a refund if all goes wrong and gets cancelled.

For the holiday itself, we're flying from LGW to Rhodes, and booked through Expedia. Any idea what their policy is on this whole situation?
    Originally posted by Justin1986
    British Airways laid on coaches yesterday, for their internal flight passengers. Find out if Flybe will do the same or alternatively book yourself a train ticket. Anything to avoid missing a holiday.
  • ronaldo1903
    Hi
    my parents are on holiday in Tenerife and are meant to be flying back today, obv the flight has been cancelled.
    It seems their hotel are bumping up the prices for an extra night/week until the flight can bring them home.
    Will they be able to get a refund for accomodation/food etc costs from the airline until the flgiht can bring them home?

Thanks for any help
  • Justin1986
    Justin

If there is any doubt about you getting to LGW on an aircraft (and you haven't said exactly when you are due to depart), I would be looking at alternative travel options. If your holiday departing LGW is part of a package, the tour operators tend to give three options to people on package deals. They are: deferring the leaving date of the holiday, transferring to another holiday of the same or similar value, or a refund of the amount paid for the whole holiday.

I would suggest that there is going to be a level of disruption for a few days following any lifting of the ATC restrictions, so you may have to be prepared for the worst.
    Originally posted by Cityboy
    Thanks for that. Another point to note is, I'm currently stuck on an oil rig in the North Sea, was due home today.

We're meant to be flying ABZ-LGW on Wednesday morning, 9am I think, then LGW-RHO at 3pm (roughly).

I am hoping to be home this weekend, (wishful thinking!?) but from then until Wednesday we're both quite flexible, so guess I'll need to just hope they start clearing the backlog soon
  • Justin1986
    British Airways laid on coaches yesterday, for their internal flight passengers. Find out if Flybe will do the same or alternatively book yourself a train ticket. Anything to avoid missing a holiday.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Thanks SC. I'm hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst!
  • ronaldo1903
    I assume that your parents are not on a package holiday, as the tour operator would be liable for them in that case.

Your parents will be able to get a refund for any meals/accommodation from the airline on their return. They must send copies of all receipts via recorded delivery/signed for to the airline's offices. Regulation that applies is EC 261/2004 articles 5 & 9:http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32004R0261:EN:HTML
    Hi, they not on a package holiday, thanks very much for your help
    • mcjj
    • By mcjj 16th Apr 10, 1:42 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    mcjj
    Stuck aswell and BA dont pay accomm
    To set the scene, I am in Tel Aviv, me with 2 kids, hubby and mum. We turned up at the airport, they told us flight was delayed 12 hours and to come back middle of the night. They gave us a sandwich and notice to come back later. With young kids, decided to go to a hotel for a day room. We then found out the flight was delaed 18 hours and BA on the phone said they wouldnt pay for accom. This morning, we found out we are stuck for 4 days (no flights with avail) until next week and they wont pay for accomm. On top, my mum has run out of medication and they wont help so waiting for emergency doc.

We dont want compensation, it is not BA's fault or anyone elses and I appreciate flights only being allowed when it is safe. However, with 2 hotel rooms for 5 nights, it is an unexpected huge cost......

Life is what you make it and I want to fly when I know it is safe and NOT before.....
    • adecor
    • By adecor 16th Apr 10, 1:51 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    adecor
    My holiday has been cancelled. Anyone know the rulings relating to airport car park charges being refunded?
  • skynflynt
    mcjj...I'm no expert but the post at the start of this thread goes to an article which suggests BA are supposed to pay under these circumstances:
    "You should get food if stuck at the airport for over two hours for a short-haul flight, for up to four hours on medium/long haul.
    You should also get overnight accommodation, if appropriate. British Airways, for instance, says it will provide hotel rooms on a case-by-case basis. For example, if you're from overseas and have nowhere to go you're more likely to get accommodation than someone who lives in London and is due to fly from London."
    Some people in this thread seem to think that airlines are legally obliged to do this. Might be worth pointing out it's being discussed, might make them do something...
    • Babycakes
    • By Babycakes 16th Apr 10, 5:50 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Babycakes
    Babycakes

Package holidays are covered slightly differently than flights only.

In reality, tour operators tend to give three options to people on package deals. They are: deferring the leaving date of the holiday, transferring to another holiday of the same or similar value, or a refund of the amount paid for the whole holiday.

Thanks Cityboy

I spoke to Thomas Cook as they are providing the flights and they confirmed that if we are unable to travel then they will refund the cost of the flights. They said that we would need to contact the company we booked the holiday with and see if they would refund the hotel.

I am not sure what happens to the extras such as transfers, checked-in luggage, meals, etc.

Surely the company that we booked the holiday with should organise the refund if we cannot travel.

This is really confusing...
    • anita116
    • By anita116 16th Apr 10, 6:17 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    anita116
    Stuck in Italy
    My young son and I are stuck in Italy. Due to fly Saturday from Naples to Milan to Heathrow (Alitalia). Not sure what to do. Phone numbers are all UK and engaged. (At least the wine's cheap here!!) Also, I'm due to go on a course on Monday for three days. If I can't get to it . . . ? Any advice welcome please. Plus credit card stopped working today.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th Apr 10, 6:20 PM
    • 39,649 Posts
    • 163,830 Thanks
    silvercar
    My young son and I are stuck in Italy. Due to fly Saturday from Naples to Milan to Heathrow (Alitalia). Not sure what to do. Phone numbers are all UK and engaged. (At least the wine's cheap here!!) Also, I'm due to go on a course on Monday for three days. If I can't get to it . . . ? Any advice welcome please. Plus credit card stopped working today.
    Originally posted by anita116
    Sort out the credit card first, there should be a number on the back. Even if you are at your limit, the company should be understanding of your situation and temporarily raise the limit.
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Originally posted by anita116
    Can you find Alitalia staff locally? As you are entitled to be housed and fed at their expense and have a couple of phone calls paid for until they can get you back...

If you can't get to the course there's probably not much you can do I'm afraid. Is there a list of Terms & Conditions attached to it?

And yes, ring the credit card company first of all!
    • anita116
    • By anita116 16th Apr 10, 6:35 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    anita116
    Just spoken to credit card company. They reckon that there's nothing wrong with the card. Offered to send me a new one! Now how's that going to work???
  • jjbtnc
    bit worried about my family in south africa
    Hi all

Just wanted to tell my story - my mum (old age pensioner) sister and husband and their 2 kids are in south africa after struggling to find the money to see my niece get married. Anyway they booked their flights separately to the rest of the holiday and booked with virgin. Virgin have told them that their flight back on this saturday the 17th of April is canceled and the only arrangements they can make is to book them on a flight from johansburg on the 2nd of may! due to the fact that the flight from cape town on the 17th of april is virgins last one from cape town as it is the end of their season.
    What the hell can they do? will virgin pay for their 2 weeks extra hotel accommodation?
    i can't believe they are going to leave them there for 2 weeks? Even if their season from cape town is over you'd have thought that they have a plane full of people to get home so why not as a one off get a plane in?
    really worried and don't know what to do - none of us have enough money right now to pay for any extras even if we could claim back at a later date through travel insurance.
    any ideas????
    • Sandypan
    • By Sandypan 16th Apr 10, 7:23 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 1,688 Thanks
    Sandypan
    Stranded in Spain
    Hi, We are stranded in Spain, should have flown back to England Thursday morning. Have been left completly on our own by Monarch, they just gave everybody sheet with telephone numbers on (none of which were excepting calls due to high demand) Had to find own way back to resort and check back into hotel. They are now charging us a highly inflated daily rate and we can't book anything cheaper for longer in case we are able to fly back sooner! Have run out of money now and to top it all it's raining! Looked at EU regulation from earlier post which looked hopeful re refunding hotel and food expenses but concerned about section that says about cancellation due to circumstances out of airlines control!
    Please advise
    Last edited by Sandypan; 16-04-2010 at 7:27 PM. Reason: grammar
    • richardw
    • By richardw 16th Apr 10, 7:25 PM
    • 19,062 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    richardw
    will virgin pay for their 2 weeks extra hotel accommodation??
    Originally posted by jjbtnc
    Looks like they may under article 5 and 9

Article 5
    Cancellation
    1. In case of cancellation of a flight, the passengers concerned shall:
    (a) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 8; and
    (b) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 9(1)(a) and 9(2), as well as, in event of re-routing when the reasonably expected time of departure of the new flight is at least the day after the departure as it was planned for the cancelled flight, the assistance specified in Article 9(1)(b) and 9(1)(c); and
    (c) have the right to compensation by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 7, unless:
    (i) they are informed of the cancellation at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure; or
    (ii) they are informed of the cancellation between two weeks and seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than two hours before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than four hours after the scheduled time of arrival; or
    (iii) they are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.
    2. When passengers are informed of the cancellation, an explanation shall be given concerning possible alternative transport.
    3. An operating air carrier shall not be obliged to pay compensation in accordance with Article 7, if it can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.
    4. The burden of proof concerning the questions as to whether and when the passenger has been informed of the cancellation of the flight shall rest with the operating air carrier.

Article 9
    Right to care
    1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered free of charge:
    (a) meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time;
    (b) hotel accommodation in cases
    - where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary, or
    - where a stay additional to that intended by the passenger becomes necessary;
    (c) transport between the airport and place of accommodation (hotel or other).
    2. In addition, passengers shall be offered free of charge two telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails.
    3. In applying this Article, the operating air carrier shall pay particular attention to the needs of persons with reduced mobility and any persons accompanying them, as well as to the needs of unaccompanied children.
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Indeed. I would think if they draw Virgin's attention to this, Virgin will rebook them on a different airline to avoid paying the 2 weeks' hotel bill. There is no way Virgin will be able to get out of the responsibilities detailed above.
    • GrahamW
    • By GrahamW 16th Apr 10, 7:37 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    GrahamW
    My wife and I are stuck in Dubai. Virgin gave me a piece of paper with the call centre number on it and I've not been able to get through for hours. Costing a fortune ringing the UK call centre and listening to rubbish music.

Seems that Virgin are updating twitter more than anything else.

They are not covering any hotel fees, so we'd had to check into another hotel near the airport for a few days. They will be getting a bill from me!!

They told me next availability was 10 days time. Yet a travel agent told me next Friday there is availability. I so wish I could change my ticket online. At least that way I know where I stand.

Good luck to others trying to get home.

Graham
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Hi, We are stranded in Spain, should have flown back to England Thursday morning. Have been left completly on our own by Monarch, they just gave everybody sheet with telephone numbers on (none of which were excepting calls due to high demand) Had to find own way back to resort and check back into hotel. They are now charging us a highly inflated daily rate and we can't book anything cheaper for longer in case we are able to fly back sooner! Have run out of money now and to top it all it's raining! Looked at EU regulation from earlier post which looked hopeful re refunding hotel and food expenses but concerned about section that says about cancellation due to circumstances out of airlines control!
    Please advise
    Originally posted by Sandypan
    The exclusion regarding cancellation due to extraordinary circumstances only applies to compensation. You are still entitled to accommodation, food, transfers and a couple of phone calls. You should try and get in contact with Monarch again as this is a responsibility they cannot legally wriggle out of.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 16th Apr 10, 7:43 PM
    • 19,062 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    richardw
    The exclusion regarding cancellation due to extraordinary circumstances only applies to compensation.
    Originally posted by Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Exactly, seems they are trying to confuse, perhaps deliberately.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

3,394Users online

Martin's Twitter