Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Natasha
    Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt
    • 30th Mar 10, 1:03 PM
    Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt 30th Mar 10 at 1:03 PM
    Around a fifth of the population are 60 years old or over, so it's no wonder some companies (plus the Government) offer extra discounts and incentives to tempt the group's custom and loyalty. So we'd like to tap MoneySavers' knowledge for where these discounts, savings and promotions can be had.

Examples include annual winter fuel payments between 125 and 400, the Freedom TFL travel pass if you live in a London borough and 10% off Boots brand products if you join its free health club.

Please click reply to add your tips.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 05-04-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Page 11
  • WalterEgo
    Re TFL pass.
    [QUOTE=MSE Natasha;31370875]Around a fifth of the population are 60 years old or over, so it's no wonder some companies (plus the Government) offer extra discounts and incentives to tempt the group's custom and loyalty. So we'd like to tap MoneySavers' knowledge for where these discounts, savings and promotions can be had.

Examples include annual winter fuel payments between 125 and 400, the Freedom TFL travel pass if you live in a London borough and 10% off Boots brand products if you join its free health club.

Please click reply to add your tips.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

[/QTUOTE]
    The TFL Freedom pass is only available to state pension receivers. Over 60's get the Consession pass.
  • WalterEgo
    Re TFL Freedom pass.
    The TFL Freedom pass is only available to those in receipt of a State Pension. Over 60's get a TFL Consession pass and can only be used in London. The Freedom pass can be used nationwide. I currently will have to wait until I'm 64 to get the TFL Freedom pass.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 28th Jul 13, 12:58 PM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    Roger1
    It would be great if somebody could update the info into a consolidated list, but I think that task would be difficult!

I checked the first few posts but some are sadly out of date. For example:
  • new60
    Reduced NT Membership fee over 60
    I've just renewed my membership with National Trust - I have been a member for 21 years - and as I am now 60, the membership fee was reduced from c55pa to c37pa, but I think you may have to have been a member for over 5 years (possibly longer).
    • John_Pierpoint
    • By John_Pierpoint 18th Nov 13, 2:07 AM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 7,388 Thanks
    John_Pierpoint
    November = cheap coach: N.Express 25% off coach card
    If you're 60 or over and love visiting family and friends or taking day trips and short breaks, our Senior Coachcard offers a great way to save 1/3 on standard fares to hundreds of towns, cities and airports across the UK, plus other great new benefits.

How much will I save?
    You'll save a guaranteed 1/3 on standard fares throughout the UK for 12 months. With the Coachcard, there are no restrictions on peak and off peak travel times, so you can travel when it suits you and your plans. This includes public holidays, bank holidays and weekends.
    Purchasing your Senior Coachcard is quick and easy, Simply complete your details and your Coachcard will be posted to your home address (1.50 p&p will be added to your purchase).

Your Coachcard can take up to 7 days to be delivered and if it hasn't arrived 24 hours ahead of your planned journey, then call our Contact Centre.

Alternatively, give us a call and we will post your Coachcard out to you (1.50 p&p will be added to your purchase) or purchase from one of our ticket outlets.

15 [max] day return on Tuesdays

Now that we can plan ahead and get amazingly cheap tail fares, coach travel is nolonger the self evidently cheap alternative, but sometimes it is possible to make cross country journeys on routes where rail cannot begin to compete.

[Short term offer do not delay]

http://www.nationalexpress.com/waystosave/senior-coachcard-750.aspx?utm_source=crm&utm_medium=email&utm_campa ign=17_nov_13_sccprospoffer
    • JoolsToo
    • By JoolsToo 29th Mar 14, 3:58 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    JoolsToo
    You can get concessions at cinema's etc.
    Originally posted by McKneff
    Its your signature I'm interested in! :Shakes McKneff by the hand:

aitch not haitch too!
  • asrampd
    Out of date postings
    Could this be checked - some links are out of date and so I suspect are some of the available savings.
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 29th May 14, 8:35 AM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    Could this be checked - some links are out of date and so I suspect are some of the available savings.
    Originally posted by asrampd
    Welcome to the board.
    Your suggestion should keep you busy for a while.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 29th May 14, 9:27 AM
    • 16,961 Posts
    • 145,233 Thanks
    JackieO
    I decided not to renew my NT ticket and went instead for English Heritage on the May Day Bank Holiday.On my ticket I have four of my grandsons and my DD as my 'carer' as I am registered disabled.It cost me 39.00 for a year and so far we have been to Battle Abbey Upnor Castle,Rochester Castle Walmer,Deal and Dover Castles all of which have cost nothing so 5-6 days out which with a packed up picnic and a flask has cost nothing So pretty good value I think.Yesterday we spent at Dover castle with the boys and came home not having spent a sou I just love freebie days out .
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 2nd Jun 14, 2:18 PM
    • 5,199 Posts
    • 9,789 Thanks
    Murphybear
    It's always worth asking small businesses if they can offer discounts for seniors. I took the cat to the vet today and there was a new notice offering 10% off for over 60s on Wednesdays for routine things like vaccinations. The receptionist helpfully suggested I could take the cat back on Wednesday but I declined, one trip was enough!

There is an alpaca park somewhere near us and they offer discounts for OAWs (Older And Wiser)
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 2nd Jun 14, 3:25 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    You don't always have to wait for an offer; I was at the deli counter in tesco, what I wanted was weighed and the server said "anything else?" "A discount" I queried, it was gone six and he just tapped the keys and 40% knocked off. Just for asking. OH cringed with embarassment
  • spitfire-Wilson
    Little Chef do a discount card called Finetime and I believe this is for the over 50s (for certain dining times). Not to everyone's tastes I suspect!
    • cupcake4
    • By cupcake4 4th Jun 14, 9:58 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    cupcake4
    "You don't always have to wait for an offer; I was at the deli counter in tesco, what I wanted was weighed and the server said "anything else?" "A discount" I queried, it was gone six and he just tapped the keys and 40% knocked off. Just for asking. OH cringed with embarassment
    The only thing that is constant is change."

My motto is "don't ask, don't get" provided you do it with a nice smile.
    I was in Tesco and the assistant was pricing down grapes. I asked how much as I didn't have my card with me and he replied, to my astonishment, "how much do you want to pay, is 40 pence ok?"
    As the grapes were prepacked and looked fine, I was a happy bunny!
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 4th Jun 14, 11:24 AM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    "You don't always have to wait for an offer; I was at the deli counter in tesco, what I wanted was weighed and the server said "anything else?" "A discount" I queried, it was gone six and he just tapped the keys and 40% knocked off. Just for asking. OH cringed with embarassment
    The only thing that is constant is change."

My motto is "don't ask, don't get" provided you do it with a nice smile.
    I was in Tesco and the assistant was pricing down grapes. I asked how much as I didn't have my card with me and he replied, to my astonishment, "how much do you want to pay, is 40 pence ok?"
    As the grapes were prepacked and looked fine, I was a happy bunny!
    Originally posted by cupcake4
    Aren't you feeling a little bit guilty after this morning's announcement?
    • woolly_wombat
    • By woolly_wombat 3rd Feb 15, 1:55 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    woolly_wombat
    Any National Trust members considering joint senior life membership might be interested to know that to be eligible only requires "either partner to be 60+".

See:
    http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/membership/
    (click on "life membership" and move cursor over "joint senior").

We had to 'phone together in order to swap the main member from self (under 60) to OH (over 60).

We have been members for many years and thought it was worthwhile for 1,230 (individual senior life membership is a hefty 1,030).

WW
    • carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 7th Feb 15, 4:43 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 6,328 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    Just read that winter fuel payments are only for those born before July 1952, ie aged 62+ if I reckon rightly... and you have to get the state pension or another benefit:

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/overview
    Erratically money saving
    • woolly_wombat
    • By woolly_wombat 8th Feb 15, 12:35 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    woolly_wombat
    Just read that winter fuel payments are only for those born before July 1952, ie aged 62+ if I reckon rightly... and you have to get the state pension or another benefit:

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/overview
    Originally posted by carolinerunner
    Don't worry, you can still get it if you're not on benefits, but you you won't get it automatically and will have to make a claim (the link you provided gives more details).

WW
    • carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 9th Feb 15, 1:18 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 6,328 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    Ah, point well made ww, hadn't read it closely enough. You get it AUTOMATICALLY if you get state pension or another benefit, but you qualify pretty much by being that age. You only have to be in the UK for one week in the September, so presumably you could do that, claim it all and then pop off to Benidorm on one of those 'whole-winter' deals, thereby spending no money on heating over the winter (stores thought away for future...)
    Erratically money saving
    • TheCardcan
    • By TheCardcan 25th Feb 15, 8:38 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    TheCardcan
    We have an over 60's "Wise Ones" discount card, although I don't know if they are still giving them out..
    • PennyForThem
    • By PennyForThem 28th Feb 15, 2:35 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    PennyForThem
    Cineworld Cardiff do a Thursday film showing at 11 am for OAPs at 2.70 plus free tea/coffee and biscuits every week - apparently

I happened upon this when I wanted to go to Selma which was closing on a Thursday and as I had a day's leave I went to 11.00 am showing. Chock a bloc full of OAPs.

This is a massive good deal. Apparently they can also show pre-release films......

I have a cineworld premium card so can see any film (other than specials like opera, theatre) at any time free, so that was why so surprised to find myself in a cinema full (I mean no seats empty) of oaps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,629Posts Today

7,019Users online

Martin's Twitter